Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with Flow Limitations
Need help with Flow Limitations
(12-13-2017, 07:45 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I don't a answer but can give you a couple of things to look at. First check your flow limitations. If your getting a lot of them to the point your pressures keep increasing and decreasing during the night that can disturb your sleep. Also check your RERA's if you have that and see if you have a lot of activity. You could try bumping your minimum pressure up 1cm that would help with any obstructive events and flow limitations.

Of course I'm just guessing at a lot of this without a sleepyhead chart to look at. When you get 4 posts you should be able to post charts. The links below with help you.

Welcome to Apnea Board.     

Welcome

Walla, Could you elaborate in flow limits. What are they? what is an problematic number?
I have the same problem as orzsabel (still tired after dropping AHI from 30 to 3 - but it has only been 2 weeks of therapy), and would like to know the significance of flow rates and how to interpret them.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two years with low AHI and still very tired
Allessio77, Flow limitations are restrictions to air flow. Though not as obstructive enough or long enough to be classified as OA's or H's. Most people don't have a problem with them. Some people who are sensitive to pressure changes by the machine can have their sleep disrupted.

In your case you've only been on treatment for 2 weeks. Sometimes it takes months for your body to start to recover. Give it time.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Allessio77, I can vouch for giving it time.

I was doing really well, then not doing well. Optimized the settings one week ago - improvement, but I'm still recovering. I know that it will get better with time. For me, brain functioning is what really shows the effects. It was terrible before (really terrible - was ready to bash my head against the wall) and now it is much better, but still a ways to go. Making stupid mistakes and not completely clear thinking yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Walla, the graph on Flow limitations indicates it measures the severity of flow limitations. My graph goes from zero to one on the y-axis, and to use last night as an example, my max was .39 and my 95% was .07. How would you interpret this?

[Image: BhZosHg.png]
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2017, 11:18 AM)kiwii Wrote: Allessio77, I can vouch for giving it time.

I was doing really well, then not doing well. Optimized the settings one week ago - improvement, but I'm still recovering. I know that it will get better with time. For me, brain functioning is what really shows the effects. It was terrible before (really terrible - was ready to bash my head against the wall) and now it is much better, but still a ways to go. Making stupid mistakes and not completely clear thinking yet.

Thanks Kiwii...I am really hoping this therapy works and I will remain persistent!  I have had a severe tiredness for almost a year now, and just began therapy with my APAP 2 weeks ago. I wish you all the best and that you can find constant improvement in your condition!
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with Flow Limitations
Well I'll explain the flow limitations and let you decide if they were waking you up or not. The flow limitation (FL) chart shows 0 to 1.0 which is the amount of obstruction or disturbance in air flow. An obstructive apnea would be a point .8 or greater that lasts at least 10 seconds.
If it was less than 10 seconds it would just show up as a FL of .8. Same with Hypopnea's. A Hypopnea would be less than .8 but more than .5 and last at least 10 seconds. If less than 10 seconds again it just shows up on the flow limitations chart.

Now the Air Sense reacts to FL's to try and prevent them from becoming OA's and H's. I'm not sure about the Air Sense but on my AirCurve AUTO I've seen the pressure start's to rise around .2 on the flow chart and increases as the FL increases. Now if your sensitive to pressure changes that can wake you up. Most people don't have a problem with pressure changes though.

The ones that do usually end up using a fixed pressure to avoid changes.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with Flow Limitations
(12-13-2017, 01:40 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Well I'll explain the flow limitations and let you decide if they were waking you up or not. The flow limitation (FL) chart shows 0 to 1.0 which is the amount of obstruction or disturbance in air flow. An obstructive apnea would be a point .8 or greater that lasts at least 10 seconds.
If it was less than 10 seconds it would just show up as a FL of .8. Same with Hypopnea's. A Hypopnea would be less than .8 but more than .5 and last at least 10 seconds. If less than 10 seconds again it just shows up on the flow limitations chart.

Now the Air Sense reacts to FL's to try and prevent them from becoming OA's and H's. I'm not sure about the Air Sense but on my AirCurve AUTO I've the pressure start's to rise around .2 on the flow chart and increases as the FL increases. Now if your sensitive to pressure changes that can wake you up. Most people don't have a problem with pressure changes though.

The ones that do usually end up using a fixed pressure to avoid changes.

Very informative....I doubt that these are causing arousals, but of course, can be sure without someone looking at you. I generally am having a few less known full awakenings each night since therapy began, but nightly I seem to recall fussing with my mask trying to stop leaks. But that may have nothing to do with these FL's.

Thanks a lot...I feel I have a better grasp of this part of my sleep architecture.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 297 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 108 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,603 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 500 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.