Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with Pilairo Q mask
Need help with Pilairo Q mask
I am trying a Pilairo Q mask partially because I am going to need to sleep with an eye shield for several days. So far I have not been able to sleep with the Pilairo on. The problems that I am having are as follows\;

It is difficult to breathe. I can, with a lot of fiddling, sometimes get the mask so that breathing is easier. So far I do not know what has fixed this problem when I do get it fixed.

I do not seem to be able to correct all of the leaks. My S9 is reporting leaks when I think that I have all of them fixed. I am wearing a chin strap that works for me with the FFM.

I have not yet tried the single strap headgear supplied with the mask.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with Pilairo Q mask
Hmm, I have the Pilairo Q and while I love it, I have learned that it comes in a "one-size-fits-all" so therefore, it cannot possibly work for everybody.

Not sure if this might help, but often I accidently put it on upside-down, and have to flip it over. And also, sometimes the nose pillow comes slightly off it's base and I have to push clip it back in. Not sure why you would have a problem breathing with it tho. As soon as I put it on, it seems to open my sinuses clear.

(09-18-2015, 09:28 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I am trying a Pilairo Q mask partially because I am going to need to sleep with an eye shield for several days. So far I have not been able to sleep with the Pilairo on. The problems that I am having are as follows\;

It is difficult to breathe. I can, with a lot of fiddling, sometimes get the mask so that breathing is easier. So far I do not know what has fixed this problem when I do get it fixed.

I do not seem to be able to correct all of the leaks. My S9 is reporting leaks when I think that I have all of them fixed. I am wearing a chin strap that works for me with the FFM.

I have not yet tried the single strap headgear supplied with the mask.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
One last thing I thought of... when putting the mask on, I need to stretch the pillow flaps out over my nose to get the nose holes to properly seat. And it never properly seats unless the machine is on when I do this. At any rate, wish you the best. Smile
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Payton,
I have the Pilaro Q mask, but don't use it as much as the P10.
The one issue I had was that I couldn't use the regular headgear, it just wouldn't stay on my head no matter how I adjusted it and had to switch to the single strap headgear that came with it.

I never had a problem breathing with it though. You do have to place it lightly over your nose and spread the flaps out while trying to seat the nasal pillow. Once the air is turned on, it should inflate around your nose, then you just jiggle the pillows a little to seat them properly.

The only other thing I can think of is did you change the mask setting on the machine? That may be worth a try.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 07:54 AM)Ailu Wrote: One last thing I thought of... when putting the mask on, I need to stretch the pillow flaps out over my nose to get the nose holes to properly seat. And it never properly seats unless the machine is on when I do this. At any rate, wish you the best. Smile

That was one of the tips that I needed. I was putting the mask on, then hooking up the hose, and then turning the machine on. Putting the mask on with it hooked up and running was the answer. Gives me good breathability first time every time. Apparently this is the condition that I was getting to after a lot of fiddling and not realizing specifically what I had done. A lot of thanks to you and OpalRpse for your responses. They were very helpful. Now all I have to do is solve the leaks problem.

I have been working with the adjustable headgear and at least I get a smiley from the mask fit on my S9. I have pulled it up a little higher on the back of my head than I have with other masks in order to keep a little pressure on the side of the mask closest to my face. Seems to be helping the leaks some.

I have been trialling the Pilairo using the "Pillows" setting in my mask type. I tried it today just for kicks on the full face mask setting. I actually like that setting better. With the correct setting it seems to smack me in the face when it goes from EPAP to IPAP. With my FFM and the correct setting, the transitions are silky smooth. With the Pilairo using the FFM setting, the transitions are smoother than with the "correct" setting.

Come to think of it, the correction in the "pillows" mode may be more than is actually necessary. This may also be why most people find that they can use lower pressures when they switch to a nasal pillows type of mask.

Whew, got carried away!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaytonA,
Good luck to you with switching from FFM to pillows and I hope you aren't having any problems with your eyes.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just cataracts

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I managed my first full night's sleep with the Pilairo Q mask last night. That was good because I had a shield on my right eye from surgery and there would have been interference with my FFM. Breathing seems to require a little extra effort for me with this mask but things went fairly well.

The thing that was a little discouraging was the leaks reported in Sleepyhead. Had major leaks on and off all night long. I am having trouble figuring this out. I checked very carefully when I first put the mask on for leaks and everything seemed great. It is a little difficult getting the headgear right with the Avalon Aire chin strap that I am using but I finally got it right (I think).

My nose got a little sore even with the lanolin salve but not too bad. Just concerned about the leaks. Will try at least a few more nights until I can get rid of this shield.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey PaytonA,
Glad your surgery went well. It must be hard going from a full face mask to nasal pillow mask.
My husband had both eyes done last year and he can see things he never realized he wasn't seeing, like the stop sign at the end of our street.
Huh
Take care,
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton, you are usually a FFM user... have you tried the Amara View? You would be able to use the eyemask with it, maybe even better than with a pillow mask since there are no straps across the cheekbones... I haven't tried it myself, but it is what my son ended up with.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,523 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,204 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,093 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,830 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.