Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hooray. I had a breakthrough.
Hooray. I had a breakthrough.
Last night I had a very low AHI and did not have any clusters of Hypopneas at the end of my sleep cycle.  Unlike other nights all was quite during those last hours.  I got up to go to the bathroom and looked in the mirror to check my Dreamwear Full Face mask and noticed that if my mouth was open it made my mask slide down to reveal about half of my nostrils and when I closed my mouth the mask slid back up and sealed perfectly.  During the night I start out breathing through my nose and then I become so congested and have to revert to breathing through my mouth causing my mask to slide down and create mask leaks.  None of them were large leaks, however.  I use XClear for a nasal decongestant and have an in room humidifier.  My integrated heat and humidifier slim hose is set at 78 degrees and the humidity is set on four.  When I had the Resmed Aircurve before I had the VSR machine the humidity was set on 5 and there was moisture in my mask.  Is there anything that I need to do with my hose or anything else that someone has found effective in relieving congestion so I can breath through my nose all night
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hooray. I had a breakthrough.
I'm not familiar with XClear.

I take a half dose of MucineX-D every night before bed due to congestion issues. Note that MucineX-D is one of the meds that is now behind the counter at the pharmacy in the USA and requires ID to buy. Also a half dose may be 1 pill, or it may be half a pill, depending on which version of MucineX-D you buy. If you buy the 18 or the 36 count box its 1 pill, if you buy the 24 count box its a half a pill. My primary doctor is aware of my self dosing and has informed me that she's willing to write a prescription for it if need be, but the 1/2 dose a day is well under both state and federal limits so I've not had issues so far.

My husband takes a prescription strength dose of Allegra-D. His doctor has to write a prescription for it due to the dosage required, and our (otherwise pretty decent) insurance refuses to cover it, but since it's a choice between paying for the Allegra or him having so much congestion problems that he gets constant sinus infections we pay it.

I can't help with hose or cpap settings, though I will say that the couple nights I was out of MucineX last week I was definitely stuffier, but after forcing myself to breathe through my nose for a bit the cpap pressure was able to force things open and as far as I can tell I was able to breathe through my nose for the cpap machine for the rest of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for answering but I am on a MAOI for depression and I can not take either one. I researched all natural nasal sprays and XClear had the best reviews. It does a pretty good job short term but does not last for the entire night.
Post Reply Post Reply
yah, that would complicate things. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Xlear not Xclear, Xclear is machine hydrophobic coating. Xlear appears to be an all natural solution without any drugs and is almost identical to a mouth spray I use Biotene. for the nose I used a vasoconstricting spray, the active ingreedient is xylometazoline. Since you never used it, start with the baby dose, 0.1%. It holds for about 6-7h. Dont be afraid to put more then one drop in each nostril, it only works if the liquid hits the swollen parts inside your nose. Starts working in 5 minutes. In about 6 to 12 months it will stop working as good and you can switch to 0.5% then. If you only use it for the night its gonna work longer and better.

Alternatively Turbinectomy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Damn I can't use anything because of the MAOI I take for depression. I guess that is why I teasearched for an all natural decongested. Last night went well. about half way through the night when I started getting congested I kept breathing through my nose and I guess the pressure of the air opened my nasal passages up. Thank you for your recommendation however.
Post Reply Post Reply
xylometazoline is a local vasoconstriction agent, it has nothing to do with serotonin, ask your doctor and he will tell you you can use it all you want. MAOI's are only to be avoided taken with drugs that have systemic actions, particularly those acting on serotonin as to avoid the development of a serotonin syndrome.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hooray, I changed to FFM, New Era! Arik 3 1,072 02-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woot! A Breakthrough...But with questions dclaryjr 4 1,247 03-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  NEW breakthrough therapy for sleep apnea Napmeister 6 3,952 05-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Napmeister

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.