Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with asking for BiPAP from doctor.
Need help with asking for BiPAP from doctor.
Hello,

I recently hit a wall in my treatment with Auto CPAP due to Aerophagia and a the EPR of 3 not being able to control flow limitations (might not understand correctly). Based on my research and the advice of several board members, I have come to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to get a BiPAP machine. Unfortunately my Sleep Physician (who interpreted the polysomnography I did) said that my AHI was low and that it couldn't cause my symptoms, but offered a repeat study because I didn't get any REM sleep at all due to short sleep duration (2 hrs). The at home sleep study I did showed that my REM AHI was 4.4 while my nREM AHI was 0.8. This is still quite low and I'm worried that when I get the repeat study done he will say that the AHI isn't high enough to cause symptoms. I don't have direct contact with him and have only spoken to him once.

At the same time I have an upcoming consultation with a ENT doctor who performs various sleep surgeries and also does something called DISE (Drug induced sleep endoscopy), which simulated sleep and allows them to pinpoint where the airway collapses and whether or not surgery would be helpful. Unfortunately due to Covid things are delayed and the appointment was booked a month out, and the procedure will likely be booked even farther out after the consultation. My symptoms are ongoing and CPAP isn't providing much relief at all. The appointment is in person so I was wondering if I could give the APAP data I have collected over the past two months to the ENT and try and convince them to prescribe a auto BiPAP machine. The insurance company directly employs the doctors? (Kaiser) so I wonder whether or not I would have the same limitations of not being covered if my AHI is under 5 as Medicare. If it is possible, could I have some advice on what and how I need to convince the ENT. Sorry for the rambling and thanks for any advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with asking for BiPAP from doctor.
Since you're on AutoSet and you say you want to go up to BPAP, this indicates you're looking for a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto. How to justify it? Comfort. Create talking points to convey the CPAP based machine therapy isn't comfortable enough. Even if you are treated with CPAP, you can state it's not comfortable enough to use and that BPAP will be more comfortable for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. Would that be enough though? Would there not be any objective points that could be used in addition?
Post Reply Post Reply
This is almost the exact same position I find myself in and I have no idea how to convince the Dr. that I need help. I want to trial a BiPap machine to see if it makes a difference to my flow limits and how tired I am feeling despite a low AHI on auto cpap. Following for advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think many people have given up on their doctors and purchased their own bipap. If you consistently check craigslist you can get a good price but it won't have a warranty. You can buy a used one with a warranty through the supplier list.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately I can't afford a BiPAP right now. I'm a 1st year college student and used my savings on the APAP machine. I'll try and convince my parents if the doctor says no.
Post Reply Post Reply
However I might be able to muster up enough to buy a used vauto on craigslist. Do you have any tips on how to check whether or not it is in good condition and not malfunctioning?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can sell your autoset and may get as much as you can find an aircurve. There are a lot of people looking with the dreamstation being recalled.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Craigslist can be enhanced with SearchTempest.com. I have used this search engine countless times with great success to find the best deal. On these Craigslist ads, the important information is run-hours and whether the machine has been used in a smoking environment. Ask about any noise from the blower, but in my experience, many sales are by people that no longer feel the need for the machine, or are selling on behalf of an estate. As bad as that sounds, those are the best machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

I found a seller and he says it's new and that he got it from a "friend". How do you check the hours that the device has been used? Is there any way to reset the hours used on the device?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,719 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 524 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 330 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 789 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.