Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a way to tell actual sleep time and not just usage time?
Is there a way to tell actual sleep time and not just usage time?
I tend to wake up in the night, even with the resmed 10 on, use the bathroom, and go back to bed. Sometimes I just wake and then try to sleep again. It often takes a long time to fall back asleep. But the sleep report reading is just mask wraring time and not being asleep time.  
Is there a way to measure actual being asleep time?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a way to tell actual sleep time and not just usage time?
@MKW1956

There sure is, just download OSCAR software, get your CPAP data imported and you can pretty clearly see via the Tidal Volume and Respiration Rate charts when you are asleep and awake.

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_supported_machines
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2023, 09:15 AM)MKW1956 Wrote: Is there a way to measure actual being asleep time?

Yes, but not foolproof. Wake breathing is much more erratic that sleep breathing. Sometimes that's easy to spot on the OSCAR graphs.

Although the sleep report will show all time while wearing the mask when the machine is on, whether asleep or awake.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smart watch...
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2023, 01:13 PM)larrykay Wrote: Smart watch...

Not too reliable I read.  If so, wouldn't need PSGs in sleep labs lol
Post Reply Post Reply
A smart watch is better than nothing. My old Apple Watch 6 has been great to track sleep improvement since I started therapy four months ago.  I had sleep issues last night and the Watch did a great job identifying the unusual amount of wake time. The time periods it says I was awake correlate nicely with the erratic respiration shown in my OSCAR charts, as described by other previously.

An added bonus is the oximeter in the Watch has always been spot on with hospital equipment.  I’ve had numerous cardio-versions and use every visit to compare my readings against their equipment (SPO2 and EKG).  

Readings from that Watch have been sufficient for my PCP to refer me for my first sleep study. It’s SPO2 readings tracked with the low readings identified during both the diagnostic sleep study and titration study a few months later. My cardiologists have scheduled numerous cardio-versions based on EKGs from that watch. I send them the pdf file of the scan through the patient portal.

Buzz
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2023, 12:21 PM)BuzzaJim Wrote: A smart watch is better than nothing. My old Apple Watch 6 has been great to track sleep improvement since I started therapy four months ago.  I had sleep issues last night and the Watch did a great job identifying the unusual amount of wake time. The time periods it says I was awake correlate nicely with the erratic respiration shown in my OSCAR charts, as described by other previously.

An added bonus is the oximeter in the Watch has always been spot on with hospital equipment.  I’ve had numerous cardio-versions and use every visit to compare my readings against their equipment (SPO2 and EKG).  

Readings from that Watch have been sufficient for my PCP to refer me for my first sleep study.  It’s SPO2 readings tracked with the low readings identified during both the diagnostic sleep study and titration study a few months later.  My cardiologists have scheduled numerous cardio-versions based on EKGs from that watch.  I send them the pdf file of the scan through the patient portal.

Buzz

That is amazing your doctors use the info from a watch.  Every one I've ever spoken to blow watch findings off immediately and literally laugh at me.  In fact, my recent sleep doctor made a comment on that issue. I'm glad it is of benefit to you.  A spot reading on SPO2 with a watch is drastically different than continuous overnight monitoring.  I think where a lot of devices fail based on reading is picking up fast changes in SPO2 and having good accuracy below 90% levels.  I am sure a watch can detect 'wake' time and OSCAR shows obvious changes in breathing and pulse rates when up, but I have my doubts on accuracy of REM and other stages.  If it provides enough info to start a dialogue, that's great.  So far my CheckmeMax O2 wrist device has not caught any physician's attention regardless of what it states. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
From my experience, OSCAR will show your breaks in therapy - ie when you took your mask off. Seeing those breaks, you can follow th patter after the break.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It wasn’t always that way.  I had to demonstrate a pretty good understanding of what was going on, medically, and that I knew how much weight to give the data my watch was generating. I’m a skeptic by nature and it probably helped that the PCP has known my family since he finished his residency (25 years) and knows that I’m a retired instrumentation engineer. 

Maybe it’s an Iowa thing, but I’ve never had a single medical professional criticize the utility of an iWatch.  Their biggest concern is people reading too much into Watch data and flooding the ER needlessly. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that most all of the nurses and my cardiologist have iWatches.  The electrophysiologist has a Rolex and shiny shoes.

It’s just a tool and a exercise coach that I can use to help manage my CHF, Afib and now OSA.  It’s more than an “Idiot light” but certainly not a calibrated gauge.  When I can afford one, I want to get an oximeter that can monitor SPO2 continuously and work with OSCAR.  Until then, I’m pretty comfortable with my Watch telling me PAP therapy is working.  I certainly am sleeping better and have more energy.

This has been my personal experience.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 75 1,342 9 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Inspiration and Expiration Time MrIvanDrago 18 1,078 10 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 1 65 10 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  My insp time is always longer than my exp time...is that bad? jake79 2 62 Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  myAir when sleep time is 4am to 4pm the next day iknownothing 1 79 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 12 285 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 9 168 04-20-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.