Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with husband's therapy.
Need help with husband's therapy.
I need help figuring out how to improve my husband's pap therapy.  He has way worse apnea than I do, somewhere in the mid-90s.  He has been using his bilevel machine a couple of years longer than me and has been happy with his therapy.  But now that he has retired I notice that he falls asleep in front of the TV several times a day, so I think maybe his therapy can be improved.

As he uses a bilevel machine I don't know enough about what his setting ought to look like, so I am hoping you folks can help me choose the best settings for him.  Here are a few recent reports including a couple of bad nights.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with husband's therapy.
If it were me I would try more PS, set Min PS=3. that is very mild for a bilevel.
Also I assume you are aware of the Philips Recall which includes that model of machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon, thanks for your response.  Yes, we know about the recall.  He received a brand new bilevel directly from Phillips many months ago.

I don't understand about the pressure.  His Epap is 17 and his Ipap is 25.  I guess I thought those were his pressures.  But I do see Ps set at 0.5 to 6.5  I can easily bump those up.  Is 3 to 6.5 high enough?

He also has lots of Leaks, Periodic Breathing, and Variable Breathing.  He sleeps with a chinstrap, but I'm guessing that doesn't work very well.  He doesn't like the idea of wearing a neck collar, but maybe I can get him to try one.  Perhaps he needs mouth tape too.

What does one do about Periodic Breathing and Variable Breathing?  I don't understand these at all.  Are these things that can be corrected by changing some settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
Deborah, I would caution you about the assumption that his TV slump is related to the quality of his PAP tmt.  I have averaged 0.6/7 AHI the past four years (it's creeping upward with the progression of AFib), so I'm in the 97%ile for efficacy/success.  But just in the past two years, finally (I've just turned 70), I slump pretty solidly for about 20 minutes or more, most often mid-afternoon or just after supper and we're catching up on recorded programming.  I'm pretty fit, a wonky heart notwithstanding, and my treatment is solid.  But, I still have a heavy need to drift off until I do that deep five-minute fog-out and then come back to the living.

I would be very surprised to find a middle-aged male who doesn't need to nap close to most days.  I managed without for decades, but now I am manacled and can no longer be good company to the missus each evening and commiserate with her about what we are (supposed to be) watching.

Ps- (added) I make an assumption myself about his age, but....
Post Reply Post Reply
mesenteria, Alan just turned 70 in August, so maybe you are right.  Rolleyes  I'm still hoping to learn how to improve his treatment anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 80 1,505 57 minutes ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 5 121 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jonkier
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 78 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 3 185 04-22-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: joedes
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 75 1,599 04-22-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 126 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 292 04-19-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.