Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with pressure settings
Need help with pressure settings
Using a full face mask now and finding my ahi is generally over 3.  My pressure is set 15.6 - 17.4.  Lately median is 17.0.  Should I make a change?
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with pressure settings
Do use a favor and post you sleepyhead charts so you can get your questions better answered.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2017, 07:13 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: Using a full face mask now and finding my ahi is generally over 3.  My pressure is set 15.6 - 17.4.  Lately median is 17.0.  Should I make a change?

Generally one will need to bump up the min pressure with a FFM  vs a nasal or pillows mask to hold the same AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
get your charts up, but until then I would try 16 min 20 max
or box the 95% pressure 2cm above and below.
I'd try the EPR on 3 to give some exhale relief. That reduces the breathing effort by half.
See how you go, depending on your chart, you may find a bpap better
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
https://imgur.com/a/CYzZO

half of my OA's are 11 seconds or less
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with ajack that you should raise the pressures. Your already using EPR of 2 which is good enough. I probably would bump the min pressure to 16.5 and max 20.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You are currently using settings of 15.2 to 17.2 with EPR at 2.  This results in your machine bouncing along the maximum pressure line most of the night, however, there is also some clustering of events.  I think a higher maximum pressure will help (no need to increase minimum), but I also think you might benefit from being the proud new owner of a soft cervical collar.  I think much of the problem here is positional apnea during deeper sleep.  

Do you have any other issues that may complicate your obstructive apnea?  You have an unusually low tidal volume, and with pressure this high you might benefit from pressure support in a bilevel.  In addition to increasing maximum pressure, I can see where using EPR at 3 may be more comfortable and could increase your volume a bit.

[Image: E99YYc7.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will give these changes a try and post my results.  I am not aware of anything that might affect my OA's.  I am on a different antidepressant which is why I am now using a full face mask.  I am also wearing a tennis ball on my back to prevent back sleeping.

Thanks for your help
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Your results are not terrible, but most of it is obstructive. It would not surprise me if you traded your tennis ball for the soft collar if it all just worked out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the breath of 24 per minute, the taking longer to breathe in than breathe out and tidal volume of 280 is right, more may need looking into and possibly BPAP.

Sometimes it's mouth breathing and a nasal mask, sometimes the machine can falsely count the stats, and funny breathing can trigger the machine to max out it's pressure. You can zoom in and scroll along to see what is happening. count the actual breaths per minute off of the chart in a few sections that you see. you could also put up sections of chart.

I remember sleeprider helping someone with a breath rate over 30. On inspection, it had what appeared to be a M in the inhale, that the machine saw as 2 breaths.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,564 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 448 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 404 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 363 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 316 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile pleasse help me optimize my APAP pressure settings Swsch2985 2 363 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Help interpret OSCAR for best pressure settings 444zane3 3 401 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.