Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with setup
Need help with setup
I did a sleep study overnight and I need help with my setup. I got a resmed s9 from my father after he passed away. I believe the doctor said my prescription was 17/30. Does that sound right? Please any help would be awesome. I recently had a baby and money is tight. I have a brand new machine from my father, but they wouldn't use it. They want me to buy another machine. Just for them to make more money.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with setup
17/30 does not make sense. First, which S9 do you have? Look near the start button for a name like Autoset or VPAP S or Elite or...

Also, it would really help to know what the Rx said both in terms of pressure and also type of machine -- words like bilevel, or Auto, or CPAP.

Your father's former machine may not be right for your condition.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a s9 elite. I found my paperwork from last year. It recommends bi level positive airway pressure therapy at 17/13 cm H20
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2015, 09:40 PM)Choppedliving Wrote: I have a s9 elite. I found my paperwork from last year. It recommends bi level positive airway pressure therapy at 17/13 cm H20

I'm sorry to say but the CPAP you listed is incapable of producing those numbers. A S9 Elite can only provide a maximum exhale pressure reduction of 3 cm below the inhale pressure. Since your pressure is high enough, I'm not going to talk about the absolute minimum pressures of this machine.

The closest you will be able to get to that setting is to set your pressure to 17cm and set the EPR (exhale pressure reduction) to 3. This will give you a 17/14 pressure setting. If you need the 13 setting for exhale, then you will need to set the pressure to 16cm with the EPR still at 3. This would then provide a delivery pressure of: 16/13 cm.

The pressures you list require a bilevel machine. Based on the manufacturer, the trade names for this style machine are VPAP or BiPAP. A bilevel differs from a CPAP machine by allowing for pressures higher than 20cm and pressure differentials greater than 3cm. You needs fall into the later category.

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Choppedliving,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your machine set up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Choppedliving, your prescription calls for a bilevel machine -- that is a machine that allows you to set the inhale pressure (IPAP) separately from the exhale pressure (EPAP). Your Rx is for IPAP 17 and EPAP 13.

Your Elite machine is a single, fixed-pressure CPAP machine. You cannot set separate IPAP and EPAP pressures. However, your machine does have an exhale relief feature (EPR), which allows the pressure to drop up to 3cms below your prescribed pressure when you exhale. By setting EPR to 3, you can come fairly close to your prescription settings. (A bilevel machine does have some additional settings that can make the transition between inhale and exhale pressures more comfortable and better synchronized with your own natural breathing rhythm -- this can be helpful when you need to be on a high pressure, but you may or may not need these extra features.)

The good news is that you have a data capable machine, so you can download and use SleepyHead to see how well the machine is controlling your apnea, and to guide any fine-tuning you may need to do with the settings. You may actually be OK with the Elite. Definitely worth a try. You don't need "their" permission to get started with your therapy, you can just get started.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the great and quick responses. I will set up the machine and start of with a 17/14 I guess and go from there. Maybe I will have to adjust it to a 16/13 setting. How do I go about using the sleepyhead feature? Thanks again for all the great helpful information.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard Choppedliving! Hope your therapy goes well and congrats on the new baby!!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Choppedliving,
You can't set an IPAP and EPAP on your straight pressure machine. You will have to set it at one pressure of 17. Then go into EPR menu and set it to 3. This will give you pressure relief of 3 which will equal 14.

Download sleepyhead software, see link top of page.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2015, 06:16 PM)Choppedliving Wrote: Thank you all for the great and quick responses. I will set up the machine and start of with a 17/14 I guess and go from there. Maybe I will have to adjust it to a 16/13 setting. How do I go about using the sleepyhead feature? Thanks again for all the great helpful information.

Here is the link to the SleepyHead files. Please read the complete page because it contains some very important and helpful information to get SleepyHead up and running.

SleepyHead Link:
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

This is the same link as at the top of the webpage.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,894 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 291 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 2,014 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 275 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,810 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  New DreamStation 2 setup KSMatthew 7 844 08-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane mitzvahtime 2 1,475 08-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Last Post: mitzvahtime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.