Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with sleepyhead
Need help with sleepyhead
[attachment=3174] Hello all again. I hope I did this right. Here is my recent sleephead download. If some of you can decipher this graph for me and tell me what I can do to get my AHI down. I've been racking my brain trying to get this figured out with no avail. Your input would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with sleepyhead
I've found sleeping on one's side may help reduce obstructive apneas considerably. I used to get periods of 20-40 minutes with a many apneas as minutes ... or more.

Things which may impair breathing:
alcohol or other depressant drugs (some pain meds, psych meds, some epilepsy meds)
physical activity during the day (ie exhausted and very deep sleep levels)
anatomical issues in your nose, mouth, throat (have you seen and ENT? pulmonologist for lung testing?)
lung conditions which make it difficult to breath (COPD, asthma flares, pneumonia, certain types of arthritis, etc.)
how late and how much you ate
blue moon ...
and so on

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you had this machine? I was using an old Remstar Auto up
to this past monday when I got this machine to.  Somehow the pressure
felt a little strange to me at first  and my first night my AHI was high too but
the next two nights were fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 09:52 PM)E.W. Wrote: How long have you had this machine? I was using an old Remstar Auto up
to this past monday when I got this machine to.  Somehow the pressure
felt a little strange to me at first  and my first night my AHI was high too but
the next two nights were fine.

I've had it for a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
You seem to have the pressure up where it should be effective from 14.5-20, but there are a few clusters of obstructive apnea events that are a problem. You may need to change your sleeping position onto your side, or consider using a soft cervical collar to keep your chin from dropping to your chest and these can cause the airway to close in a way that positive air pressure cannot overcome. If you are aware that you tend to tuck your chin, this is an especially easy problem to overcome. The other alternative may be to try a higher minimum pressure. If you can tolerate 16 cm, it looks like your events are significantly reduced or prevented at that level.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2017, 10:40 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You seem to have the pressure up where it should be effective from 14.5-20, but there are a few clusters of obstructive apnea events that are a problem.  You may need to change your sleeping position onto your side, or consider using a soft cervical collar to keep your chin from dropping to your chest and these can cause the airway to close in a way that positive air pressure cannot overcome.  If you are aware that you tend to tuck your chin, this is an especially easy problem to overcome. The other alternative may be to try a higher minimum pressure.  If you can tolerate 16 cm, it looks like your events are significantly reduced or prevented at that level.
Thanks sleeprider. I've woken before with my chin tucked. I will try your suggestions. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.