Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with snoring and sleep
RE: Need help with snoring and sleep
(06-21-2017, 12:21 AM)robysue Wrote: You ask:
Quote:As this is full face mask mouth breathing should not matter right?
In theory you're right: Mouth breathing in a full face mask should not increase the leak rate.  

But full face masks are prone to "springing leaks" because the seal has a much larger footprint on the face.  When your face relaxes in deep sleep that can cause the jaw to pull away from the mask in such a way as to trigger a leak.  When the mask is pushed against your pillow when you turn over, that can disrupt the seal and cause a leak.  And, unfortunately, when you fit the mask with a closed mouth at the beginning of the night and then later on your mouth opens wide, that can cause the mask to shift enough on your face to cause a leak. A mask liner might help if the leak problem is caused by any of these things.  But you really only need to worry about the leaks if you think they might be disrupting your sleep.

Robysue, thank you for your analysis and suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have this appointment ENT and I would see how it goes. He will view the flow and breath data zoomed on a few minute segments at a time and show you what is happening. If this doesn't happen, I would find another doctor.

I would think you would have breath symptoms when you are awake, if it is one of the lung constriction problems. It can also be something obvious, like obesity pushing on the lung when you are laying down. This will reduce volume and make it harder to breathe in, too.

this is typical tidal volumes for height or ideal weight
[Image: stb4tZk.jpg]

my problem is obesity, this is me on a good night, with cpap and then bpap S. You can see the difference in Tidal volume, insp/exp and resp rate.

[Image: VqQEbwO.jpg]  [Image: vTUOhaG.jpg]
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
RobySue

It's interesting that when I was using the System One, I didn't show VS or VS2 events in Sleepyhead.  When I switched to the DreamStation my VS2 line lit up Sleepyhead like a Christmas tree every night.  But I know I don't snore anymore.  Not since starting CPAP.  (And this comes from my wife who I used to keep awake with my 1000 decibel snoring.)  So if VS2 is recording something, it's not snoring.  Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Ajack:

I am not overweight though, I am 5'8" with 140lb (63kg).
Post Reply Post Reply
Fair enough, I was showing you me and what BPAP did, you will be different. As you can see on the chart, the average person your size, has over 500 Vt. I would ask your ENT and probably a pulmonary doctor for a lung test and explanation. There may be a reason why you are under 400, leading to the other stats.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Ajack, I have already taken appoitment with a lung/Sleep doctor. Will keep you updated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,504 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,597 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Diagnosis] Help with Snoring Sleepster 14 1,004 11-19-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.