Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with swollen nasal turbinate's caused by CPAP
RE: Need help with swollen nasal turbinate's caused by CPAP
Auto climate control is a humidity setting of 4 so at 2 or 3 you are below average for humidity setting. Turning it off confirmed that was not the right solution and that you need humidity so that makes me think you actually need higher humidity. Your reaction and stuffiness was probably from the period of dryness prior to increasing humidity rather than the humidity at that time.

I would try on a humidity setting of 4 (or just switch to auto climate control), if that still seems to be an issue I would try adjusting temperature slightly to see if that helps before trying other humidity levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ran it for a long time on auto and was waking up a lot with the same issue. Not to mention, when I took the machine off in the morning I had so much mucus I couldn't breath and took forever to clear it all. My ears were getting congested also. This made me think I needed to move it down. Turning it off was a huge mistake.

During the day when I go into a humid area or wear a mask things stuff up more. This was also making me think I had too much humidity.

I've been running temp at 78. I don't even know which way to begin adjusting the temp. Any guesses?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any other breathing ailments you're diagnosed with? I'm not stating you've got Asthma or COPD, but with my COPD and deviated septum, breathing is affected by difficulty in more humid and warm days like late spring and summer here in PA. It's likely worse in AZ.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, never had any breathing issues until this. I can actually put a qtip up my nose to apply Ayr Gel and feel the turbinate's are so swollen I can't get the qtip up there. It definitely is a nose issue and not a lung issue. I think. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
OK copy. Had to ask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congestion can be complicated. Majority of mine was due to a dairy sensitivity (maybe allergy, never tested). During the day wasn't an issue but at night would swell up so bad I couldn't breath through nose. Had to use dymista (steroid/antihistamine) daily and decongestants was getting to a weekly use before I cut out dairy and now don't need anything.

If this issue is caused by your CPAP it is probably irritation from dryness not excess humidity (especially if you are having these issues at a humidity setting of 2/3 and lower hose temp).

This document shows standard settings and an idea of how to adjust them. I would try more humidity/temp unless doing so makes it obviously worse.

https://document.resmed.com/documents/pr...sa_eng.pdf

You never did answer my question about noticing any correlation with worse congestion on higher central apnea nights. It was a shot in the dark but my idea was that your apnea could be increasing heart effort causing an increase in blood pressures causing/worsening the congestion. This wouldn't be considered a normal reaction to apnea but especially with your recent reduction in blood pressure medication there could be something going on there and there are ties between sleep apnea, blood pressure and rhinitis. If you have a BP monitor you could try testing it shortly after waking up feeling congested (try to set up so you don't even have to get out of bed). As mentioned this is a shot in the dark/idea since humidity settings aren't an obvious issue (except when you turned it off).
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, missed that question. I've not been able to correlate anything. The stuffiness (congestion isn't really accurate since I don't have any mucus except immediately after I get up and take the mask off. Once I blow my noise after showering I can clear the mucus and then my nose is just swollen and stuffy. Nothing to blow out for the rest of the day) is something I've been dealing with since starting so there hasn't really been a change to make a correlation with.

Thanks to both of you for your input, I really appreciate it. I'll take a look at the document and try more humidity tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congestion isn't usually caused by mucous. Congestion is primarily caused by inflamed, swollen turbinates. The inflammation can be caused by infection, allergic reactions, dryness and probably some other reasons. The swelling is caused by the turbinates becoming engorged with blood as your body tries to fight off the inflammation. Swelling can also be due to blood flow alone and your body uses this to increase the size of turbinates to increase surface area which then warms and humidifies incoming air, sometimes nasal congestion occurs for no known reason and this is termed nonallergic or vasomotor rhinitis which is mostly considered to be an improper functioning of blood vessels in turbinates.

CPAP rhinitis as it is called can cause congestion and most commonly does so by drying out the nose. Your body enlarges the turbinates to try and increase humidity and provide your airway/lungs with warm moist air. Too high of humidity can also cause congestion but I believe it to be less common, I did notice if I set my hose temperature too high it seems to create some congestion but I don't know the physical reason this happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, I thought congestion was caused by mucus which is different than what I'm dealing with. Good information.

I think I'm going to try setting 4 and 79 degrees for a couple nights and see how I feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
I learned something from that link you posted about the humidity and temp settings. I did not know that the humidity "auto" setting adjusted the humidity to the temp you select. Every time I have used the auto setting I also put the temp on auto and seemed to get more humidity than I did last night (and more than I want). I set the humidity at auto and temp at 78 and things felt pretty good last night. My nose is feeling a bit better and I didn't have near the mucus this morning as I've had in the past when I set them both on auto.

One thing I did have last night which I've never had before is my lips kept parting during the night allowing a mouth leak. I'm going to use some tape tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully things can start moving in the right direction. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the assistance, appreciate you both.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 379 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,436 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 662 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.