Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with unclogging my nose
Surprised 
Need help with unclogging my nose
Hi all first off, THANK YOU for this board! My question is that when I go to sleep my nose is free and clear but I wake up in the middle of the night and it feels like I'm suffocating. At this point I remove my mask and sleep with out it. I use the heated tube set at 70 and my humidifier is set at 5. I'm averaging 4.5hrs of treatment then I go solo. This has been going on for about a week and prior to that I would fall asleep on my back and wake up in the same position and at 1.0 AHI. Do any other members have a solution? I was averaging 0.8 to 1.4 AHI but the last two nights I'm getting readings of 5.0 to 5.2 AHI.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with unclogging my nose
Hi CPAPcommando,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Have you tried the sinus rinces such as the neomed rince before bedtime?
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Having one's AHI jump around is not unusual. Just last night I went from under 3 to above 5.

As for nasal stuffiness... That can be from several sources. And, sometimes the humidifier helps; sometimes, not so much.
Lying down, the vascular bed in the nasal lining may become engorged with blood; causing swelling of the nasal lining. i.e. -- it can be a gravitational effect.

Perhaps a decrease in delivered air temperature would help.
Perhaps sleeping with the head slightly elevated (without bending the neck forward.)

There was a time when this was bothering me; and I would swab my nostrils with a Q-tip and Vasoline. (It worked for me.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be seasonal allergies setting in. How about your mouth? Are you keeping it closed all night? What's your leak numbers especially in the hour before you wake up?

Generally, my nose gives me trouble, but if it's open when I start dumping air in it it pretty much stays good all night. But if I'm using a full face mask for instance, where I end up breathing through my mouth, the nose will stuff up.

With a nasal mask, that could only happen with me if my leak numbers were high.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, the simplest "solution" is to get up, clear you nose, put the mask back on and (try to) go back to sleep.

Otherwise you are teaching your mind and body that the mask is not important.

0. See an ENT.

1. Saline irrigation usually gets me free enough to go back to bed although I prefer to irrigate a few hours before bed so that any trapped saline (in my sinuses) has time to run out. NeilMed Sinugator is my favority but just sipping saline from your UPPER LIP into your nose works well.

2. Flonase -- now OTC

3. Claritin, Benedryl etc. for allergies (didn't much work for me YMMV)

4. Sudafed - one of my cardiologists said "No" the other (and the sleep doc) said, "Do what you must but don't exceed package directions."

5. Sinus spray -- rebound effect makes this problematic, but to get a nights sleep AND use the machine, that is *my* preference

6. Sometimes if you can get this going, the mask will keep your nose open, especially a nasal pillow mask which is ironically the toughest mask to use with congestion (actually these two facts are RELATED DIRECTLY.)

7. Don't assume "too much humidity is bad" or "too little is bad" or vice versa - people vary in their reaction to humidity. I have heard numerous reports of taking the humidity to either extreme before getting relief -- and most people are likely better of somewhere in the middle.

Bottom line: FIND A WAY to go 100% compliant -- your mind and body with thank you.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 10:26 AM)herbm Wrote: First, the simplest "solution" is to get up, clear you nose, put the mask back on and (try to) go back to sleep.

Otherwise you are teaching your mind and body that the mask is not important.

That's probably the best advice. Don't let any of the boulders in the path stop you from reaching your goal. It's too important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Herbm -- from your history, stay away from Sudafed. It's a vasoconstictor and a stimulant (that's why it's a primary ingredient in Meth.)

Benadryl is sedative and drying. Not the best for those with sleep apnea.

Best advice: "FIND A WAY to go 100% compliant -- your mind and body with thank you"
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CPAPcommando

If you are suffering from hay-fever, try the following, which might help.
Replace the standard filters with the 'S9 Filters Hypoallergenic' ones from ResMed.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 09:28 AM)CPAPcommando Wrote: Hi all first off, THANK YOU for this board! My question is that when I go to sleep my nose is free and clear but I wake up in the middle of the night and it feels like I'm suffocating. At this point I remove my mask and sleep with out it. I use the heated tube set at 70 and my humidifier is set at 5. I'm averaging 4.5hrs of treatment then I go solo. This has been going on for about a week and prior to that I would fall asleep on my back and wake up in the same position and at 1.0 AHI. Do any other members have a solution? I was averaging 0.8 to 1.4 AHI but the last two nights I'm getting readings of 5.0 to 5.2 AHI.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Your symptoms are remarkably similar to what I experienced last year: Deviated Septum. My doctor recommended a simple operation: Rhinoplasty turbinate modification to correct that problem. Since that operation my sinuses have been remarkably clear all night. The only nose spray that I have used since that operation is NeilMed Sinus Rinse. I doubt that the sinus rinse will clear the cartilage or turbinate, but for normal mucus it’s great.

You should consult with a ENT doctor.

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 647 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.