Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with waking up at 4am
Need help with waking up at 4am
I seem so do great for 6 hours on cpap however wide awake at 4am! I then get very sleepy during the day. Any suggestions on going back to sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with waking up at 4am
I'll ask to have this moved to the main forum with a redirect. The Member Account Help Forum is for help with logons, pages not loading, dead links -- website type issues.

I was awake this morning at 4 AM after 7 hours of sleep. My suggestion is to stay up later in the evening.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
What was your sleep pattern before PAP?

4:00 AM must have been in the air last night (this morning). I woke up at that time too, and was having some difficulty falling back to sleep.

As Dr. Krakow says it is the quality of sleep that counts not the quantity. Could you post a few nights' Sleepyhead graphs so we can see if anything becomes obvious there?

What is the first thing that you do upon awakening at 4:00 AM? Look at the clock? If that is the case you need to quit worrying about time. If you can see a clock from bed, make it so that you can not. Turn the clock face away from you or cover it or if you have to , move it. The idea is to remove time as one of your concerns having to do with sleep.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I would recommend that you read the book Sound Sleep, Sound Mind by Barry Krakow. The book deals with a lot of different types of insomnia. One of them is the type where you wake up and can not go back to sleep. Sound familiar?

Just thought I would mention it.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Try pomegranate juice. It is known to help with insomnia. And it has lots of other health benefits. It may even help lower AHI per the report today of another member in another thread called "please try this".
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Not 4 but 5am for me, same thing having a hard time falling back to sleep, also I've be running higher AHI's of 1.6, 1.7 and 2 the last few nights my normal is under 1 .
My excuse is during the work week it's 4:45 am so My body thinks I'm over sleeping.

Sleep-wellOkay
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a brain/body clock thing in my opinion. During the week when my alarm goes off at 4:15 am (I coach swimming) I am asleep and have to come awake quickly. Yet in the weekend I'll go a bit longer start to wake up sometime after 5:00 am.

"My excuse is during the work week it's 4:45 am so My body thinks I'm over sleeping." Could be a very good point.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are feeling ok with the amount of sleep you are getting what is the problem ? Get up and do something, if you need more go back to bed. If you need to adjust you internal clock to sleep later try going to bed a little later each night until you reach your goal.

Are their things in your life causing you to wake ? noise, worry, coffee or other sleep issues. Are you waking to pee and not going back to bed ?

Is this a one night issue or something that has gone on for a long time ?

Most of all how do you feel, are you worrying for nothing ?

Best wishes with you answers Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes pomegranate juice did help last night! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news Judy1843. Let us know if you have continued success with it.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 236 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 115 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 356 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 240 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 171 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 282 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 255 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.