Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need houseplant advice
Orange Bear ~ Thank you so much for the suggestions with pictures. I'm clearly not as learned about plants as you are, but I'm excited to begin to learn more. I used to have a coleus, but alas it died for some unknown reason.

I almost lost my Peace Lily plant because I watered it with well water. Now I'm using 'rain water' that hubby collected for me and the plant is doing 100% better. We even had our well water tested to make sure it was safe to drink and it was, but my plants don't like it at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 10:06 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 01:34 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Well, I was going to recommend african Violets... but it seems you already have that going.

Succulents are my go-to, because it takes longer for me to kill them. ;-)

Too bad I don't live closer to you because we have a whole bunch of Christmas cacti and I would like it if some of them had a new home.  They are currently in blossom (Yes, I know it is late - but they bloom when they want).  All of them came about as offspring from a main plant that was 3-1/2 feet across and we divided the main plant.

I like African violets, but alas I've run out of space to put them.  My hubby has gently suggested "no more African violets"......Sad

Hahaha!  Funny hubby. Mine tries to tell me that, too.

Wow, your Christmas cacti sounds amazing!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 10:32 AM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 10:06 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 01:34 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Well, I was going to recommend african Violets... but it seems you already have that going.

Succulents are my go-to, because it takes longer for me to kill them. ;-)

Too bad I don't live closer to you because we have a whole bunch of Christmas cacti and I would like it if some of them had a new home.  They are currently in blossom (Yes, I know it is late - but they bloom when they want).  All of them came about as offspring from a main plant that was 3-1/2 feet across and we divided the main plant.

I like African violets, but alas I've run out of space to put them.  My hubby has gently suggested "no more African violets"......Sad

Hahaha!  Funny hubby. Mine tries to tell me that, too.

Wow, your Christmas cacti sounds amazing!!!!!

Our Christmas cacti started out as a "rescue plant" many years ago.  My MIL had a small one growing in her home, only she tended to water a plant whether it needed to be watered or not.  She was about to throw the cacti away when I asked her if I could have it?  She gave me the plant and it survived a 5 hr car ride home, so I thought "maybe this will survive after all."  And basically the rest is history.  I only water it after I've tested it by putting a finger into the dirt to see if the soil is damp.  MIL could never figure out what she did differently, but I figured it was that she over-watered it. 

Hubby says "no more African Violets, but guess what he gave me for a Christmas gift"??  Yep......not one, but two African Violets........ Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Aaaah, he knows you well.

I have the over/under-water problem. I can never remember to water then when they actually need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well sometimes life gets in the way and watering the plant (s) is at the bottom of one's priority list.  I have an English Ivy that gets 'droopy leaves' when it needs water. so that makes it easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having a green thumb is like rasing children. You need to check on them frequently when there little and get to know their needs. As they grow you learn how much attention each one needs.

I just walked around my house to see how the Tulips shoots are doing, we have had a dry February which can set the spring flowers back, if I don't put down a little water.  When I came in the back door I checked the soil of my Hawaiian tail flowers, they were a little dry, so I gave theme some water for breakfast.
Post Reply Post Reply

(03-02-2017, 10:12 AM)0rangebear Wrote: Having a green thumb is like rasing children. You need to check on them frequently when there little and get to know their needs. As they grow you learn how much attention each one needs.

I just walked around my house to see how the Tulips shoots are doing, we have had a dry February which can set the spring flowers back, if I don't put down a little water.  When I came in the back door I checked the soil of my Hawaiian tail flowers, they were a little dry, so I gave theme some water for breakfast.

What a clever way to describe the art of growing plants whether they be outdoor plants or house plants.  Indeed, some plants require a lot of attention and others not so much.

I had to 'google' the name of your Hawaiian tail flower just to see what they look like.  I've seen them for sale in a local greenhouse, but I figured they required way more attention than I could give them.  They are beautiful!  Outside we have jonquil shoots coming up and they are about a month ahead of the time they usually come up.  Two days ago, we had weather that produced a tornado that touched down in a small town nearby, and yesterday we had snow.  I think the plants must be confused for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Money Financial advice I wouldn't pay for DeepBreathing 5 731 01-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  advice on updating Win 7 storywizard 7 510 10-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lawnmower advice........ GrammaBear 22 1,481 08-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Question Flower Advice Please justMongo 6 1,225 08-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Sage advice... retired_guy 6 1,235 03-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Question Advice on Digital TV - help! SuperSleeper 5 1,673 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Last Post: rickz1