Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need humidifier education
Need humidifier education
Just when I thought I knew everything about humidifiers, I took mine out to see just how warm the got. Cold! Set on 4 and immediately after taking it off (before cool down) it was cold. So I went checking the instructions for other settings, temperatures. Got more questions than answers.

What is the differences between Climate Line, Slim Line, and standard hoses and why would I want (need) one or the other.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need humidifier education
The climate line hose is heated in order to prevent water build up in the hose. The other hoses don't have a heated option they are just standard hoses, with the slim hose being just that smaller in diameter. The heating plate for the humidifier should heat up when turned on in order to provide light steam. This provides extra moisture to the air to prevent drying out your nose and throat. If it doesn't heat up then it may be malfunctioning. Have it checked out by the supplier that you purchased it from. Now, if you don't need the extra moisture then it doesn't matter. I have the Climate line hose and I don't ever use it or the humidifier, as I don't like warm moist air. I prefer dry cool to cold air, so I fill my tank up with Ice water and that cools the air being sent to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the differences between Climate Line, Slim Line, and standard hoses and why would I want (need) one or the other.

Climateline: hose itself has a heater to prevent rainout. The sensor is in the end of the section that attaches to your mask. Standard hoses fit all machines. These come in several lengths. The Slim Line is narrower than a standard hose, lighter, more flexible and quieter. Slimline and standard can be knockoffs, which often means louder and not as long lasting. As far as I know, there are no knockoff Climateline hoses available. Good quality hoses are expected to last 2-2 1/2 years. Climateline heating function can be turned off.

I use the Slimline hose in the summer and early Fall when I don't get rainout. These hoses cost quite a bit less. Otherwise, I use the Climateline.

If you get your stuff via Apria or Lincare, ordering the Slimline or Regular hose will nearly always get you some kind of knockoff. I can get the brand name if I get the hose directly from my Lincare office (but that requires a trip to the office). If you want the better quality hose in your regular order, you need to order a Climateline.

Also, CAREFULLY read the description when ordering anything but a heated hose on Ebay. I complained to Ebay because both of my purchases resulted in getting knockoff hoses. I received immediate refunds for both sales. They are supposed to be much more clear as to whether it is genuine product or knockoff.

Finally, if you get the Slimline hose, I suggest ALSO getting an elbow. I held out for a free shipping day at one of the online suppliers and got a generic one. The Climateline hose doesn't need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
After a night of therapy, my humidifier heater is about 100 degrees F measured by laser IR thermometer. The water temperature is about the same. It is far from hot, but feels slightly warm to touch. A kid with a fever is hotter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The heat of the plate is related on the need to increase the humidity of the air passing through. With you being in Florida, the ambient humidity may be higher than the humidity percent employed for that setting number. If this is the case, then any heating wouldn't be required.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does this mean, the setting is for how humid the air will be and not the temperature. Meaning, if a setting of 4 equals 50% humidity, and the external humidity is already at 50%, then the heat will not come on?

I tried the warm up setting and the plate started getting warm so I know the heater works.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct. During warm-up no air is passing across the sensor so the machine doesn't know the humidity at that point. As soon as it starts, it will determine if it needs to maintain the heat or drop it to achieve the proper humidity.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 320 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 787 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 515 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.