Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need machine for dad, no current prescription
Need machine for dad, no current prescription
Hi there,

My father has severe OSA and the past few years have been really bad in that his oxygen saturation levels go pretty low many times over the course of a night. He has an oximeter and it is clear that it's time for him to use the CPAP machine he received a prescription for over 20+ years ago. Unfortunately, the brand doesn't exist anymore (GoodKnight) and so I cannot receive any customer service with it and overall I just want him to have a newer machine that is easy to obtain data from. 

Here's the problem - My father refuses to get another sleep study and is determined to try and make the GoodKnight old CPAP machine work but I know he won't be able to. Is there a way around the prescription or can the old CPAP serve as proof that at one point he did have a prescription? I really don't want to purchase from Craigslist, do you guys have any suggestions? Unfortunately, there is no convincing dad to go to the doctor for the study or new prescription. He has had sleep apnea for decades and has lived with it fine but it is now to the point where he is really feeling miserable in the mornings, tired all day, not to mention the damage of low oxygen levels. Please help! Where and how can I find a good CPAP machine for him?

Thank you in advance!  Smile  
-Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need machine for dad, no current prescription
I guess you understand that everything we say and recommend is moot unless your father wizens up.  If he is intractable, nothing good will follow in terms of CPAP unless you can get the old machine to work AND he really wants to give it a try.

I would determine if the old machine works first, encourage him to make use of it, and see if the doesn't smell the...ummm...air...coffee, whatever.  Even if the device offers him only 50% improvement, he may find that he notices the difference and will agree to an update in determination...via the sleep lab.

I'm afraid it is the old problem of leading a horse to water.  I wish you, and him, success...somehow.
Post Reply Post Reply
He may not need a new study. Two years ago I wanted a replacement for
my 8 year old machine and at first my DR. thought I would need a new study.
But checked and found the Medicare rules said something like if you had a follow
up talk about your sleep apnea with your Dr. recently no new sleep study was
required. Probably wouldn't work for you but worth a try.  Or his DR. might let
him do an at home study which is much easier than a lab sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would strongly encourage your dad or you to renew the prescription through his primary physician. He should be able to consider his history and the current symptoms and oximetry results,as well as his refusal to have a sleep study, to prescribe a modern auto CPAP. Top choice should be the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with humidifier and heated tube. The data provided by this machine, and its rapid response to events, should allow easy self titration and good results.

All else fails, check Craigslist for a reasonably new auto CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I appreciate your reply, I'll keep working on him to go to doc.

Oh interesting. I'll see if he's willing to ask doctor, thank you!

Thank you so much for the reply, yes I'll keep trying but good to know that there really aren't many other options than getting him to the doctor. I might end up doing Craigslist, I hope not. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
New machines are so much better. Quieter. they give feedback so you can learn from them.
That old machine may not blow as much air as it should.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,252 7 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 71 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 124 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 255 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  How to determine my current no-CPAP AHI BigWing 18 951 12-17-2023, 10:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 501 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 795 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.