Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need resommendations for mouth tape and hose strapI
Need resommendations for mouth tape and hose strapI
Have searched the threads but have not found satisfactory response.

Background:  My most comfortable masks is Dreamwear cushion but get mouth leaks.  My FFM’s are best for leaks but I move around a lot and get tangled up or fight with the hose causing more arousals.

Need to try mouth taping and/or controlling the hose.

I have searched but was unable to find what type of tape members have found best for taping of mouth to control mouth leaks.

I have tried numerous soft cervical collars and chin straps.  They help but still get excessive mouth leaks.  Willing to try taping but not sure what type of tape to even try.  Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

A FFM might be what I have to live with and hope some one can suggest a system to control the hose to minimize wake ups from fighting the hose (active sleeper).

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need resommendations for mouth tape and hose strapI
hypoallergenic tape.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen Micropore recommended for taping - it's fairly gentle and won't shouldn't rip the skin off your lips.

There are a number of hose management systems on the market, most of which hold the hose so that it comes down from above and won't shouldn't get you tangled up. Do a search for "cpap hose lift" or "cpap hose buddy".
Post Reply Post Reply
CZOscar, some members are recently using "Chin-Up Strips" as an alternative to taping. This adhesive strip does not seal the mouth, but acts to draw up the chin and jaw. It seems like a safer and effective alternative to taping. It's not particularly cheap, but actually has an FDA approval to encourage nasal breathing and reduce snoring. If you don't have facial hair to contend with, it's worth considering.

Here is the company statement:
Quote:Mouth breathing compromises adherence to nasal continuous positive airway pressure therapy.

STUDY OBJECTIVES:
Mouth leak compromises nasal continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy. We hypothesized that patients who breathe mainly through their mouths during sleep, compared to those who breathe mainly through their noses, would have more mouth leak during CPAP and therefore lower adherence to CPAP.

CONCLUSION:
Patients with moderate-to-severe sleep-disordered breathing and a high percentage of mouth breathing during sleep were less adherent to CPAP therapy than patients exhibiting a low percentage of mouth breathing.
[Image: Tan_Male_01-1.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found an instructional video for fitting the Chin-Up Strips:

How To Fit Snore Calm Chin-Up Strips

I wouldn't have thought to do the vaseline trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the Mirage Activa™ Nasal CPAP Mask. (Supplier #1 has a return policy) This was my goto mask for 10 years. It literally floats on your face when adjusted properly. It is designed specifically for the active sleeper. It handles higher pressures (18+) extremely well. It's main disadvantage is that is bulkier than most modern nasal masks.

I think you could use tape to mimic the chin-up strips.

On tape, any "medical" tape should work. Tape to be used on skin. I always tested to make sure I could open my mouth if I needed to. The goal is to stop breathing out thru the lips, not to immobilize the jaw.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Good day everyone

Some great ideas & suggestions and links.

Really appreciate it.

I am bound and determined to make this work.  Have my AHI’s under control but still waking up too often fighting the hose when wearing anything except Dreamwear and Dreamwearwill be the perfect solution - if I can control the mouth leaks with the hose over my head and out of my way.

Thanks again - will be trying all of the recommendations 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go to Supplier #1's website and search "Tube Management Clip" - something like that might be useful when creating your new out-of-the-way setup.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 3M Micropore tape. But any medical paper tape (emphasis on paper based) should work well. If you use non paper based the adhesion will be much stronger than needed and could hurt the sensitive skin on your lips. I found the 3M brand holds a bit better than most others but is gentle enough. I "condition" the tape somewhat also by sticking and unsticking it a couple of times on my forehead to reduce the stickiness further. Personally, I make sure that I can open my mouth still if I absolutely had to with the tape and I think you would find that your jaw strength is significantly stronger than most tapes , unless you were using Duct tape. But I wouldn't recommend that.

For removal, I just run my tongue around the middle part of my lips and force a bit of saliva around there. Kind of gross, but it is your own saliva and it makes removal much easier. I also fold over a small pull tab on the tape at one end. I too used to get leaks going past my lips, even with a chin strap but no longer. I have found taping to work well for me. Another side benefit is that I don't have to worry about the flow of air drying out my gums, increasing my gingivitis.

It is perhaps a bit controversial. But if you take steps to mitigate the risk, I believe you can use tape effectively with very little risk. Just my own opinion.

I also use a hose hanger and love it. I purchased it on Amazon and it is the one made out of metal that folds up into a compact pouch for easy packing if you go travelling.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ordered a hose hanger today and bought some recommended tape. Will look for the 3M but what I bought will serve to see if that is going to work for me.

I’ve tried cervical collars (have 3) and two different chin-straps. Have tried the tongue trick which wo4ks great for an hour or two according to Sleepyhead then poof.

Thank you hope this thread helps others in the same boat.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 3 109 4 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 191 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 984 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 729 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,098 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Question Hose volume Willw 4 219 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.