Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need resommendations for mouth tape and hose strapI
RE: Need resommendations for mouth tape and hose strapI
(02-05-2018, 04:10 PM)CZOscar Wrote: I ordered a hose hanger today and bought some recommended tape.  Will look for the 3M but what I bought will serve to see if that is going to work for me.

As long as it is a medical paper tape you should be fine.  I've found the adherence of some other brands to be a bit wanting over the course of the night.  One brand was falling off by itself in the morning without any help from me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2018, 09:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: CZOscar, some members are recently using "Chin-Up Strips" as an alternative to taping.  This adhesive strip does not seal the mouth, but acts to draw up the chin and jaw.  It seems like a safer and effective alternative to taping.  It's not particularly cheap, but actually has an FDA approval to encourage nasal breathing and reduce snoring.  If you don't have facial hair to contend with, it's worth considering.

Here is the company statement:
Quote:Mouth breathing compromises adherence to nasal continuous positive airway pressure therapy.

STUDY OBJECTIVES:
Mouth leak compromises nasal continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy. We hypothesized that patients who breathe mainly through their mouths during sleep, compared to those who breathe mainly through their noses, would have more mouth leak during CPAP and therefore lower adherence to CPAP.

CONCLUSION:
Patients with moderate-to-severe sleep-disordered breathing and a high percentage of mouth breathing during sleep were less adherent to CPAP therapy than patients exhibiting a low percentage of mouth breathing.
[Image: Tan_Male_01-1.jpg]

(02-05-2018, 10:17 AM)kiwii Wrote: I found an instructional video for fitting the Chin-Up Strips:

How To Fit Snore Calm Chin-Up Strips

I wouldn't have thought to do the vaseline trick.

Thanks for this, haven't seen this type of tape.  I've been pretty successful with a cervical collar, but some nights it does get a bit warm, so this'll be a good alternative to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the chin-up strips they look like they might help keep the jaw closed. However taping the mouth is usually done for leaks between the lips. I don't see chin-ups preventing that. It also doesn't do anything for positional issues like the cervical collar does. It won't stop me from trying it once though.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a HoseBuddy. I found it works best for me if the hose doesn't quite reach the bed.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need recommendations for mouth tape and hose strapI
A quick update.

My Hose lift from Supplier #1 should arrive tomorrow or Friday which should help when wearing the FFM.

Last night I had best night with Dreamwear cushion with a combination of a cervical collar and taping of my mouth.  Fitbit sleep data shows longest REM and Deep sleep and less wake time since I started tracking them 6 weeks ago.

Looked at S.H charts this am and still had mouth leaks ? But minimal and switching between pillow and FFM with hose out of the way should go a long ways towards help with a nights sleep with minimal wake ups.

Now to continue to fine tune settings to get my AHI consistently below 2. My best nights are around 1.5 my average is probably around 3 but making progress getting the AHI totals lower. A work in progress for certain.

Just wanted to say thank you again.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear progress is being made. The hose lift should also help I would think. Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2018, 07:28 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Looking at the chin-up strips they look like they might help keep the jaw closed. However taping the mouth is usually done for leaks between the lips. I don't see chin-ups preventing that. It also doesn't do anything for positional issues like the cervical collar does. It won't stop me from trying it once though.

Yeah, no kidding . . . note the difference in these 2 leak graphs. 

Collar.

Chinup.

This is just my results of course, YMMV, but I'd call it a failed experiment on losing the neck blanket, woke up on a few of those leaks.  What I can't explain is why, the collar surely allows more jaw movement than the chin-up strips.  Oh well, maybe I'll give the tape across the lips another shot or just live with neck sweat.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 3M Nexcare 25.4 mm wide.  The kind I use is waterproof.  Comes in a roll in a metal spool and outer ring-cover with a length of 11.4 m.  The colour if the outer ring and face of the spool is white and teal or turquoise.
Post Reply Post Reply
The color of the spool is very important in preventing leaks.  Unsure
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2018, 07:05 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: The color of the spool is very important in preventing leaks.  Unsure

I was offering the courtesy of making the product, if on his/her local drug store shelves, that much more easily discerned.  Sorry to have confused you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 384 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 319 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,169 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.