Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone found a cervical collar 4" wide for a 12" neck? Help!
RE: Has anyone found a cervical collar 4" wide for a 12" neck? Help!
No they don't. You have to install them on the edge of the cloth. If you put them thigh enough, the bands groove in the materiel & they almost disappear. Hope this works for you.  Bonne journée!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2019, 12:52 PM)snorybob Wrote: No they don't. You have to install them on the edge of the cloth. If you put them thigh enough, the bands groove in the materiel & they almost disappear. Hope this works for you.  Bonne journée!

Tried that a couple of nights, but I'm still getting neck spasms from wearing the collar. When my neck goes out of alignment, it makes the LPReflux and the airway constriction worse. So I've ditched this collar and I'm waiting for the Caldera Releaf to arrive. I'm hoping it won't have to overlap so much, as that may be what's bothering my neck. I'm hoping it's softer, too.

Last night my gut-ache was so bad I never did any CPAP at all. I didn't dare swallow any more air. My oximetry was the pits, and I've only just managed to eat a small cup of elk stew. The rest of the day I had 1 pancake with maple syrup & fresh lemon, then 1/2 a serving of mashed potatoes in early aft.

This is why I'm not gaining weight back -- a full 24 hours of gut-aches. I wish I knew a more effective treatment for Larygopharyngeal Reflux. It seems to be the root of everything: the apneas and the gut pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
An expensive alternative to foam collars would be the Headmaster collar by Symmetric Designs. It is a true neck brace without looking like one. It is hugely customizable. Since you seem to already have neck issues, this brace may work better for you. You may need to get the supports that go in the back to hold the head better. Since I lean against a headrest, I don't need that option. I wear it (as needed) when I am out in public as my other neck braces are white and very noticeable. But keep in mind, it's customization abilities can also mean it can be adjusted incorrectly. It is comfortable to wear, very cool since there's nothing to it but a tube and some padding, but it can take some time to find that sweet spot for you, if you adjust it yourself.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2019, 02:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: An expensive alternative to foam collars would be the Headmaster collar by Symmetric Designs. It is a true neck brace without looking like one. It is hugely customizable. Since you seem to already have neck issues, this brace may work better for you. You may need to get the supports that go in the back to hold the head better. Since I lean against a headrest, I don't need that option.  I wear it (as needed) when I am out in public as my other neck braces are white and very noticeable. But keep in mind, it's customization abilities can also mean it can be adjusted incorrectly. It is comfortable to wear, very cool since there's nothing to it but a tube and some padding, but it can take some time to find that sweet spot for you, if you adjust it yourself.

Hi Paula02, do you know if I need a doctor's order for this collar? Or do we have a supplier listed for it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2019, 01:35 PM)picante Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 02:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: An expensive alternative to foam collars would be the Headmaster collar by Symmetric Designs. It is a true neck brace without looking like one. It is hugely customizable. Since you seem to already have neck issues, this brace may work better for you. You may need to get the supports that go in the back to hold the head better. Since I lean against a headrest, I don't need that option.  I wear it (as needed) when I am out in public as my other neck braces are white and very noticeable. But keep in mind, it's customization abilities can also mean it can be adjusted incorrectly. It is comfortable to wear, very cool since there's nothing to it but a tube and some padding, but it can take some time to find that sweet spot for you, if you adjust it yourself.

Hi Paula02, do you know if I need a doctor's order for this collar? Or do we have a supplier listed for it?

Bumping this up @Paula02

2nd question: Can the Headmaster be worn at night? I sleep on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I missed your question.

No, you don't need a script. You can buy it online at several places. Shop around for best price.

The brace fits just under the jaw and is hard. You might find it kinda uncomfortable at first. Just make sure it isn't pressing on a nerve or blood vessel (you'll know!). You can add padding if needed. Try it on and adjust during the day when you have the time to adjust it. Like, put it on (use a mirror if another person is not around), center it, adjust it, lay down on side, read a book, adjust, etc.

When I wore/wear it, I slept on my back. I did wake up several times on my side
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 03:36 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sorry I missed your question.

No, you don't need a script. You can buy it online at several places. Shop around for best price.

The brace fits just under the jaw and is hard. You might find it kinda uncomfortable at first. Just make sure it isn't pressing on a nerve or blood vessel (you'll know!). You can add padding if needed. Try it on and adjust during the day when you have the time to adjust it. Like, put it on (use a mirror if another person is not around), center it, adjust it, lay down on side, read a book, adjust, etc.

When I wore/wear it, I slept on my back. I did wake up several times on my side

Thanks, Paula. I'm measuring 3" along the jawbone as described on the website Google Headmaster size chart

Is that likely? The 3" is a child size.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
If that is the size, I suggest you go up to the Small. That's what I have. If it is loose, it is easy to adjust.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 08:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If that is the size, I suggest you go up to the Small. That's what I have. If it is loose, it is easy to adjust.

PaulaO2, you were right, the Headmaster company replied to my query about using it for side sleeping to limit chin-tucking:

Quote:I’m not sure the collar will work for that purpose; it is not designed to be used for sleeping, side especially. It is designed to support the weight of the head. However, your size most closely fits the small size, I would double check for correct measurement.

I can recommend the therapeutic pillow here if it is posture related: [link deleted]
[link deleted by moderator]

The Therapeutica pillow is designed to correct chin-tucking, so I've ordered it. It can also be used with PAP, if I ever manage to go back to it.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 214 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 545 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 421 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 532 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.