Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

(Another Newbie) Mask Humidity
(Another Newbie) Mask Humidity
So hi everybody! I am a week in and things are going real well; AHI is already down in the "treated" range and I kind of feel like I have no room to complain, but... gosh my mask gets hot and humid.

I do wear a full-face mask now, which is an improvement – the nasal mask woke me up 2-3 times per hour with that "suffocating" feeling and my AHI was still close to 20. I've reduced the humidity from 3 to 1 (0 wakes me up with a parched throat) and turned the heated tubing off. It still gets to a point (after anywhere between 1 and 3 hours) where it gets swampy enough to wake me. I see a lot of posts talking about suffocating/drowning feelings; I guess it could be described that way, but I got sent off to camp a lot as a kid and it reminds me of trying to breathe in a sweat lodge.

I've gotten to the point where I'm aware enough, when it wakes me up, to pull the mask up and let the air clear a little, press the ramp button, and (try) to go back to sleep, so that's great. But I'm wondering if there's something I can do to avoid it altogether? I got the nifty iPhone app to go with my machine, and it has a slew of videos for troubleshooting and how-tos, but nothing seems to address discomfort in quite that way, which makes me feel like I'm doing something enormously stupid and wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Jane
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: (Another Newbie) Mask Humidity
Welcome to the Apnea Board, Jane.

Some like the humidity and some do not. You can turn off the humidifier entirely and just use what is termed "passover humidification" (the air passes over the unheated water). People have been known to do this and fill the tank with ice! Or you can disconnect the humidifier entirely if that is better for you. The humidifier is there for your comfort, not for your therapy. And is it not very comfortable for you is it? Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi janeaverage,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I noticed when learning CPAP is that I had trouble connecting what I was feeling with what CPAP "thing" could be causing that, humidity was a big issue for me.

We are pressurizing our air way, that used to mean congestion. SO I always felt congested.
I thought I liked humidity and then not, tried passive (no heat at all, humidity turned off) then I put ice cubes in the tank with some water. kind of liked that for a while
If my starting pressure was too low I felt suffocated, mine has to be above 5.8 and yes you can be that sensitive.
I love ramp and still use it, just with a slightly higher starting pressure.
you have flex settings that provide a different machine response to your breathing, try the different ones and see what you like
If you change one setting you may need to readjust another that worked before, but not so much now.

This is a alien sitting on your face blowing air up your nose, it is not "natural" and like nothing before. Adjust bot the machine and get adjusted to it. wear it while watching TV if you need to.

A journal that tracks your settings and how you felt in the morning might help, so many things to adjust that I ended up forgetting what was what
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this time of year with the (hot, muggy) summer that you have had in " Ball-a-mer" , that perhaps just a low bottom range (1-2) of humidification is all that you may need, if any. Maybe you bedroom temp is a bit high also.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 490 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 274 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.