Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some advice- first week of CPAP
Need some advice- first week of CPAP
Hello Guys,

Some of you may remember me from different post about bed sleep study experience. In short I did get a second opinion after my first study and decided to try CPAP Machine. I was "given" ResMed AirSense Autoset 10 plus AirFit P10 mask. My first week didn't bring any change in my energy level. I still feel tiredSad I do understand that I may need more time to feel the change. However, I need some advice. I have some issue with mask seal? I do wake up because of the air making noise when escaping the mask. It feels like the pressure gets to high and as a result I get the leak. Also, I was under impression that my machine will adjust to where it needs to be with the pressure? If yes, why it doesn't go down with the pressure after I wake up? For example, today I woke twice at one time the pressure was at 11 and the other at 12. If I wake up and start breathing normally why the machine doesn't go down with the pressure? It seem to stay at the same level. It is hard for me to go back to sleep with that pressure. Please help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some advice- first week of CPAP
Welcome,

The P10 can be sensitive to the weight of the main hose form your CPAP.  The shift can cause a mask leak on the P10.  The P10 is the lightest, least intrusive of all masks.  That is also its disadvantage.  Put the hose under the pillow with enough slack so it can move as you turn but remain in the bed.

That said, please install SleepyHead, pay attention to the organization, and post your daily chart.  That can say tons about your pressures and what is happening thru the night.

Using_SleepyHead for all the how to's
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!  The machine has no way of knowing if you are awake or asleep.  The pressure is only reduced in response to a period of clear breathing.  It happens gradually.  The air pressure is increased not to stop something that is happening now, it can't do that, but to try and prevent new issues from happening in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, I think if you have more than a certain number of events in a time period the machine will keep your pressure up for the remainder of the session, shutting it off and restarting will reset this. If you want the most effective help here you will need to post data. If you have your sleep study that would help, and also the daily charts from [url=https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url],  this is the software that people on the forum are used to working with, it provides a wealth of information about your treatment. There is a guide to using it here. Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead. Reports from other software would be ok if that is what you are using already. There are a couple of guides on how to post and organize your charts here. Posting an Image in 5 Easy Steps       Organize your SleepyHead Charts. If you need more help with any aspect of posting data don't hesitate to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chicago, with your pressure setting wide open from 5-20 you will get the pressure spiking, especially if there are leaks. Once you can post some results and have your pressure settings optimized within a range of +/-2 from your 95% pressure, it will be more comfortable for you. Hang in there, it'll get better! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3742][attachment=3742][attachment=3741][attachment=3740][attachment=3739]Thank You everybody for being so supportive!
Please look at my sleepyHead Results and tell me what do you think?

Also I tried to use Imgur, but it did not work for some reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
Important, did your sleep study mention Central Apnea or Complex Apnea?  

Please set your max to 8 cmH2O and your min to 6  so a range of 6-8 and turn (for now) EPR OFF.
Post Reply Post Reply
OMy sleep study only showed 5 central apneas and higher number of hypoapneas, no obstructive. Two doctors (two separate opinions) were not concerned about central but more hypoapneas. I'm afraid that I don't have an access to change my setting for the pressure when since then I rent the machine .im not sure for EPR stends for.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CA index of 3.9 may have been an aberration as your average for the week is under 2.  The pressure changes I suggested were to get this under control.  The info from your sleep study suggests that this is pressure induced and will likely go away as you continue your treatment.  The changes were to reduce your max pressure and eliminate your EPR (which is currently only during your ramp.  Your current pressure settings are wide open (5-20) to see what the machine would do.  It is generally a good idea to tweak these settings to closer to what the machine provides so that it can respond to your apneas quicker.

EPR is Expiatory Pressure Relief and is set to Ramp Only and a value of 1.

Do you wish to be able to change your settings?  If so you most certainly can.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Fred,

I apologize if I sound ignorant but all of this is very new to me and very foreign. I found online how to access the settings and change the pressure. I will do that tonight.
Why wold you suggest EPR OFF? I understand that this should help me to exhale.
Thx Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,521 Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 511 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 722 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 461 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.