Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some advice for using up remaining money.
Need some advice for using up remaining money.
I can spend another $959.92 for sleep disorder equipment this year on my insurance and would like some advice on what supplies to get.  This is a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset machine and a Resmed N20 mask.  I'm only a couple of months into CPAP therapy, so I haven't worn out any of my initial stuff yet.  I have no idea how long the heated hose, mask parts, cushions, and water tanks last.  I've done a lot of reading on it, but people's numbers vary wildly.  

This'll wipe out my insurance coverage for CPAP supplies until 2024.  I'm fine with this as, up until this year, we had never hit our deductible before, so if I don't use this now I might not be able to in subsequent years.

I have the following spares.  This is new stuff that I haven't used yet.  6 cushions, 2 humidifier tanks, 2 heated tubes, and 1 mask.

Also, I use a cushion liner, so theoretically that should increase the life?  I plan on storing all this stuff in a tote, in my cool basement, away from the sun and temperature swings.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some advice for using up remaining money.
You are looking for a five-year supply. I would shoot for at least one mask per year to go with your cushions. That should make a dent. You might even want to try a nasal pillow mask. Get a spare AC adapter, and consider buying a battery supply and converter if covered.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Replacement schedules usually follow Medicare:
Water tank every 6 months
Mask and tubing every 3 months
Cushion every month.
Plus filters.

Most people report these supplies lasting much longer than this (myself included) but this should give you a good idea of the relative quantities.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow!
My 2 cents worth....I am concerned that I don't have battery back-up. If I lose power I have no cpap. So I would try and get a power supply...
MY masks don't last like they used to. I'm more critical now. I want my treatment to work. I want to feel refreshed when I'm a awake. Most of my 30+ years I've felt like crap.
(the biggest change for me recently was getting my old hose reel out and starting to use it again. It's not expensive, but it helps a lot.)
I only have one mask. I try and get a new one every 6 months or so. If I don't my numbers creep higher.
So I get a mask with headgear. I find that ResMed head gear stretches the way I use it.

Could you get a small unit for travel? Would it be covered? Then you would have a back-up machine.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Having a spare machine and a battery backup are indispensable to me, but I doubt insurance will cover them.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. That's daunting, thinking of what you'd need for the next 4 years, when you're so new to therapy.

It would be helpful to go on Amazon (as well as to some of the suppliers on the Suppliers list here), to see what things cost. For example, a hose is not at all costly, and lasts over a year and perhaps for several years... so probably don't spend this $ you're trying to spend on a hose. (You can buy that later, out of pocket, for cheap.)

I find that my headgear wears out after 6 months or so, and my cushions really do wear out after a month. And those are somewhat costly. So I'd spend my money there.

One problem I can foresee is dumping all that $$$ into buying lots of mask cushions, but in 3 months you realize that mask really isn't working for you... and then you're stuck with a bunch of replacements for something you don't even want.

So... that's a tough question.

I'd get an extra hose, an extra humidifier chamber, filters to last the 4 years, and then I'd put the rest toward masks and especially replacement cushions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everybody for your help, I appreciate it.

I can't do another machine, or another power supply, or a battery. Not allowed.

I'm not too worried about deciding that I don't like this mask anymore. I had to go through a couple of different mask configurations to find something that worked and when I landed on this it was like flipping an "easy" switch as far as being compliant is concerned. It may still be a little risky, but I'm willing to take the risk.

I do have 12 filters. I don't want to buy anything more than that because they are a massive ripoff from the DME, so I'll just buy any others out of pocket. It's cheaper to use the insurance money for masks.

I figured it all out and did all the math. I'll end up with 9 cushions, 6 humidifier tanks, 5 heated tubes, and 9 full masks. Add an additional 1 for each of those for the stuff that I'm using now. I think that this'll do me pretty well. If the ratios seem super off to someone, please speak up, I'm ordering the stuff this afternoon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with all you wrote, EXCEPT I think you're getting too many hoses & humidifier chambers. At most, I'd buy 2 of each.
Post Reply Post Reply
A humidifier tank will last for years if cleaned semi-regularly. Mine is over 6 years old. Do you really need 6 tanks?

Ditto for heated tubes - I'm now on my second in 6 years. Admittedly the new hose isn't nearly as well made as the original, but still...

Those replacement schedules are crazy, and they probably mean a big fat profit for everybody up the food chain, but a great disservice to customers and taxpayers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2019, 01:53 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I agree with all you wrote,  EXCEPT I think you're getting too many hoses & humidifier chambers. At most, I'd buy 2 of each.

(11-19-2019, 01:59 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: A humidifier tank will last for years if cleaned semi-regularly. Mine is over 6 years old. Do you really need 6 tanks?

Ditto for heated tubes - I'm now on my second in 6 years. Admittedly the new hose isn't nearly as well made as the original, but still...

Those replacement schedules are crazy, and they probably mean a big fat profit for everybody up the food chain, but a great disservice to customers and taxpayers.

And that's why I came to the forum.  My ratios were averaged out between the recommendations from a couple of different websites, but real life never lines up with what these companies say.  Now it'll be 11 cushions, 2 humidifier tanks, 2 tubes, 11 full masks, and 12 filters.

Thanks again.

Now as to storage...  I'm thinking airtight bags might not be a bad idea for any of the silicone parts.  I was hoping that the masks, cushions, and humidifier tanks would come this way, but they don't.  Airtight bags, moderate consistent temperatures, out of the light.  Any other ideas or suggestions?  I might reach out to Resmed as well to see if they're willing to give input.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 4 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 863 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,798 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 800 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.