Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some advice on APAP Range settings
Need some advice on APAP Range settings
I was on an machine on AutoTest to determine what an appropriate pressure was. 9.5 was the result. That machine had problems and I switched to a loner CPAP set at 9.5. My AHI was mostly low, in the 1-2 range most nights but up above four some days. Two nights ago I got my replacement APAP machine and the sleep tech set up on on Auto with a range of 8 - 12. In the two nights since, my AHI has been over 5 and I can feel it. The max pressure was 11.5 one night and 12 the other. My 95% was previously 9.5 and now it is at 10.5. On the bright side, I did not wake up in the middle of the night either night!

My guess is that 8 is too low for me and a range of 9 - 12 might have better results. Does that seem right? Do anyone have any advice for me? I have Sleepyhead if graphs from that would help.

Thanks
Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some advice on APAP Range settings
yep graphs would help. I would guess that your max is too low and the graphs will tell if that's right or not. I stay just below my max and never hit it. On the low end I usually see people saying 2 below your 95% (maybe median) so I think that with a 95% of 9.5, 8 seems good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Posting some Sleepyhead reports would help get answers. I guess my first step would be to put the Autoset machine into CPAP mode and run it at 9.5 a couple nights to a week to see if that reverts you back to where things were working. Also, you might want to look at things like EPR and RAMP. I had to turn both of those off to get my AHI to settle down, but my case if different - I got the Autoset instead of an Elite even though I was supposed to be on CPAP and not auto. (It's a long story). So, when I started my AHI was up in the 30's with the new machine. I got the AHI down to 3 by turning off everything automatic, shaving my beard off to get leaks under control, and fiddling with the fit of my FFM. Now, I will let it run like the for a week or so, and then slowly start adding things back into the mix going for stability and repeatability foremost.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I am attaching some of the graphs, I am not sure which are the most useful so I guessed. These are from the two nights after changing to APAP.

[attachment=2340]
[attachment=2339]
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization <- do it that way instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
my $0.02:

min = 9.5
max = 14
flex = 1 or off
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you palerider. It is getting worse. My AHI last night was over 7 after I'd turned the EPR down to 1. I see Flow Limitation on the left hand summary but I don't have a graph for it and it the list of graphs in the lower right popup does not show it either. It might be a bug in this beta version.

I think the 9.5 cm/H2O was my 90% pressure and the higher numbers are the 95% which would explain some or all of the differences. Sleepyhead show 95% on the Daily tab and 90% on the summary.

I am also wondering if it might be something wrong with the machine. This is my third DreamStation in a month and the other two produced much better results. The first was set to 6 - 16, the second locked in at 9.5.

Some of the higher AHI may be attributed to my laziness to get out of bed when I wake up. I hate getting up in the morning, always have. So I roll over and doze for one or more hours. So sleep/wake junk might be affecting the later numbers.

Chuck

[attachment=2345]
[attachment=2345]
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2016, 01:13 PM)chill Wrote: EPR down to 1. I see Flow Limitation on the left hand summary but I don't have a graph for it...

I think the 9.5 cm/H2O was my 90% pressure and the higher numbers are the 95% which would explain some or all of the differences. Sleepyhead show 95% on the Daily tab and 90% on the summary.

I am also wondering if it might be something wrong with the machine. This is my third DreamStation in a month and the other two produced much better results. The first was set to 6 - 16, the second locked in at 9.5

your machine doesn't *have* EPR, you're using a respironics machine, only resmeds have EPR.

respironics machines don't generate a flow limitation graph, so don't worry about that.

I see hypos throughout the night. I'd suggest bumping your min pressure to 9, maybe 9.5, and raising the max, though you're not *quite* hitting it. your min pressure of 5 is *way* too low. 6 would be way too low for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2016, 02:07 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: Posting some Sleepyhead reports would help get answers. I guess my first step would be to put the Autoset machine into CPAP mode and run it at 9.5 a couple nights to a week to see if that reverts you back to where things were working. Also, you might want to look at things like EPR and RAMP. I had to turn both of those off to get my AHI to settle down, but my case if different - I got the Autoset instead of an Elite even though I was supposed to be on CPAP and not auto. (It's a long story). So, when I started my AHI was up in the 30's with the new machine. I got the AHI down to 3 by turning off everything automatic, shaving my beard off to get leaks under control, and fiddling with the fit of my FFM. Now, I will let it run like the for a week or so, and then slowly start adding things back into the mix going for stability and repeatability foremost.

Shock SHAVING OFF YOUR BEARD Shock
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DreamStations have Flex which I think is EPR with a less clear name: "This allows you to adjust the level of air pressure relief that you feel when you exhale during therapy. Your home care provider can enable or disable this feature when your provider enables flex a level will already be set for you on the device. You can increase or decrease the setting from 1 to 3. The setting of 1 provides a small amount of pressure relief with higher numbers providing additional relief."

The 5 pressure is because I used the Ramp Up feature that night: (8 min - 3 ramp).

Thanks for the input, I am debating changing the settings vs waiting to hear from my sleep tech -- should be Monday at the latest.

Cheers!
Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 4 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 863 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,799 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 573 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.