Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some advice on APAP Range settings
RE: Need some advice on APAP Range settings
(04-10-2016, 07:24 AM)green wings Wrote: I'm just curious. If you want to check therapy pressure while someone is using the device, where does a manometer attach? I looked at a couple for sale on an online CPAP supplies site, but they looked like they would attach to the end of the hose where it normally attaches to the mask.

I've never used one, but I believe it is only used to check to see if the machine is putting out the correct pressure. I don't think you can check that while using it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2016, 07:45 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(04-10-2016, 07:24 AM)green wings Wrote: I'm just curious. If you want to check therapy pressure while someone is using the device, where does a manometer attach? I looked at a couple for sale on an online CPAP supplies site, but they looked like they would attach to the end of the hose where it normally attaches to the mask.

I've never used one, but I believe it is only used to check to see if the machine is putting out the correct pressure. I don't think you can check that while using it.

It should work with someone using it. It is, after all, just a pressure gauge and pressure gauges are closed systems. You should be able to monitor the system pressure by connecting the manometer to the cpap hose via a tee and short hose, possibly as it comes out of the machine. My question is would the gauge be responsive enough to accurately register the pressure changes.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2016, 11:13 AM)pupcamper Wrote:
(04-10-2016, 07:45 AM)OpalRose Wrote:

It should work with someone using it. It is, after all, just a pressure gauge and pressure gauges are closed systems. You should be able to monitor the system pressure by connecting the manometer to the cpap hose via a tee and short hose, possibly as it comes out of the machine. My question is would the gauge be responsive enough to accurately register the pressure changes.

A "tee" adapter could be used to connect to both the mask and the manometer.

Available for around US$ 35 from Supplier #2 on our Supplier List is the cheap type of commercial manometer which has a light floating ball which rapidly bobbles up and down in the airflow of a calibrated narrow funnel. Its average height (as it bobbles) is raised or lowered by the speed of the air leaking/rushing past it. In this case it is not a closed system.

If using a free homemade manometer based on how many centimeters a column of water rises in a U shaped clear tube, this would work in a closed system without air leaks, but the column of water would have hugely greater mass than the light floating ball in the cheap commercial manometer, and my guess is it would be too slow and oscillatory to measure our inhale versus exhale pressures. (Although very slow it would be very accurate, excellent for checking pressures in a constant-pressure CPAP mode.)

If one were to breathe slowly and evenly, perhaps 3 second inhale followed by 3 second exhale, should be no problem measuring IPAP versus EPAP if using the relatively speedy cheap commercial manometer.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

to *properly* use a manometer, you need an appropriate leak in the circuit, since that's how the machine is designed to be used.

I use oxygen adapters. they don't provide any extra resistance to flow, and just have a small hole on the side, and a spot for a hose to hook up... works quite well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2016, 07:45 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I've never used one, but I believe it is only used to check to see if the machine is putting out the correct pressure. I don't think you can check that while using it.

oh, you can, quite easily.

I've got a digital differential manometer, and one of the experiments that I did was to tap the circuit at the mask, and at the back of the machine, with a 3 meter hose and antibacterial filter, then compare the pressure at the machine vs at the mask, while not breathing, breathing normally, and breathing big gulps of air.

my pressure was set 18/13, and at the mask, it was very close to that.

at the machine, pressure swung from 14 to 28cm pressure as the machine compensated for the flow resistance of the filter, hose and mask... it was interesting.

the peaks at the machine were much lower, of course, when breathing normally than when taking big gulps of air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2016, 11:13 AM)pupcamper Wrote: My question is would the gauge be responsive enough to accurately register the pressure changes.

oh yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2016, 12:08 PM)vsheline Wrote: Available for around US$ 35 from Supplier #2 on our Supplier List is the cheap type of commercial manometer which has a light floating ball which rapidly bobbles up and down in the airflow of a calibrated narrow funnel. Its average height (as it bobbles) is raised or lowered by the speed of the air leaking/rushing past it. In this case it is not a closed system.

or, you can go on ebay, search for 'manometer' and get a digital, dual port differential manometer for 29.99 shipped.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks palerider for explaining. Learn something new everyday!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, thanks palerider for the information. I didn't use the right terms, although I was headed in the right direction. I haven't thought about pressure measurements since I serviced ac and refrigeration systems over thirty years ago.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2016, 05:00 PM)pupcamper Wrote: Yes, thanks palerider for the information. I didn't use the right terms, although I was headed in the right direction. I haven't thought about pressure measurements since I serviced ac and refrigeration systems over thirty years ago.

most of the pressure changes take place over the period of a few seconds as you inhale and exhale.

my manometer is digital, and updates the readout about twice a second, iirc. it's also got a min/max pressure capture.

I wish it was higher resolution and had a data output, but, it is what it is Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 553 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.