Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some help with irritating nostrils
Need some help with irritating nostrils
I am using the nuance pro with gel nasal pillows and gel headgear. When I first got the mask I was loving it. Lately it is really irritating the interior of my nostrils. Please don't confuse this with irritating my nose. It is not my nose, it is the inside of my nostrils all the way to the bridge of my nose. It started with the mask blowing like cotton candy streams of water and causing my nose to run. I tried lowering the humidity, and now the water issue seems to be resolving but the soreness inside my nostrils is getting worse. It feels like someone is using a piece of sandpaper inside my nose all the way to the bridge as I try to breathe. Last night it hurt so bad after 2 hours I had to take the mask off and go back to sleep without it. Anyone have a similar issue or have any suggestions?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some help with irritating nostrils
(1) Lanolin applied in and around the nose can generally help.

(2) I had the same problem with the nuance pro. It just never really sat comfortably in my nostrils. So it may be time to try a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Galactus,
You might try some HPA Lanolin cream and dab it into your nostriles with a cotton swav and see if that helps. It doesn't take much so just use a LITTLE. You can find it in the baby isle of most stores.
I hope this helps, hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 02:53 PM)Galactus Wrote: Anyone have a similar issue or have any suggestions?
Each mask have pluses and minuses, try nasal mask, does not irritate the nostrils

Post Reply Post Reply
Is this your first try with nasal pillows?

If it is, then they may not work for you.

The Nuance works by not aiming the air so far back but shooting it in right at the beginning. This may be irritating you more than a regular nasal pillow would be, which would be further back.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lanolin cream. Billed as useful for nursing mothers.

If a baby were chewing on your ...never mind...

But it works.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for the help, lanolin seems to be the suggestion so I shall try some. Just again this is not just at the tip of my nostrils, it goes up so high it feels like it is in my brain Smile

But yes again, new to nasal mask, new to cpap, all new. BUT this mask is really the only one I have liked so far, and this is a new development after about 3-4 weeks of using it. So it did work for me, I just need to figure out what happened now that may have changed.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, stupid question (don't be offended): You do have the pillows in right way around, right?

Someone asked me that early on....

The thing about Lanonlin is that unlike Vaseline it isn't bad for you lungs if you get some in your airway. (Not a lot, but just from vapor etc.)

It might not solve all of your problems but it might help some of them.

Also, if it is deep, the Ayre saline GEL (or similar) is DESIGNED to be squirted into your nose and into the air passage.

That helped me some during the worst of it.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 06:27 PM)Galactus Wrote: Thanks to all for the help, lanolin seems to be the suggestion so I shall try some. Just again this is not just at the tip of my nostrils, it goes up so high it feels like it is in my brain Smile

But yes again, new to nasal mask, new to cpap, all new. BUT this mask is really the only one I have liked so far, and this is a new development after about 3-4 weeks of using it. So it did work for me, I just need to figure out what happened now that may have changed.

try raising your humidity just a little bit and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 06:13 PM)herbm Wrote: Lanolin cream. Billed as useful for nursing mothers.

If a baby were chewing on your ...never mind...

But it works.

I just know I'm going to have an awkward conversation some day when someone asks me why I keep nipple cream at my desk.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 74 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,976 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows? OpineCone 64 24,021 12-21-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nostrils too big for nasal pillow mask? christian4870 2 767 06-30-2022, 02:35 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Irritation around nostrils andycc 9 1,319 09-17-2020, 08:18 AM
Last Post: LLJJr
  Nuance Pro - do you find it difficult to point it into your nostrils? Hydrangea 7 1,405 12-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Liquid (H2O) coming out of nostrils?? JohnnyRotten 5 1,304 06-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.