Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some help with new dreamstation
Need some help with new dreamstation
I just got a new dreamstation because my old one crapped out.    I set the new one just like the old,  but it is not pressuring up properly.    It is set to auto  and min is 4 max is 14.      My old machine I had a medium pressure of 7.8.         This machine will go to the minimum pressure and stay there.   I don't know if this is because it is new and has not "learned" yet.   

I will try to add attachments,   one titled old Cpap and this was when it was going out,    and the one title New cpap, which is the new machine.    I also use 2 L of oxygen at night.  Not sure if this is a problem.   Brand new hose, brand new mask, brand new machine.

I have called phillips,   and the place where I purchased my machine.   My doctor is of no help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!
Denise

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some help with new dreamstation
I would say I see 2 problems.  First your low pressure is at 4 and that is usually what they send you out of the door with and then move it up when they see you need more.  You need more.  I would move it to at least 7.  2 reasons, cpap machines lowest pressure is 4 and an adult needs more air than that.  I personally need at least 9 or I am pulling off my mask at night to get more oxygen.  second - The Phillips is slow to react to events and if it has to "rev" up to stop an event it is easier and quicker if it is at a higher pressure to start with.  Many times it can not get up to pressure quick enough and it may lessen it but not stop it.  So those are the reasons to increase the min pressure, and I would not be surprised if you need a little more in the future.

The first set of graphs did not show positional apnea but the second one did.  Positional apnea is when you get into a position where you cut your own airway off.  It many times happens when you are sleeping on your back but you can also do it side sleeping.  Anytime your chin tucks down to your sternum you are in a position where you are getting less air.  Because the top charts did not show this, have you changed pillows or added pillows?  that can cause you to get into a position where you cut off your airway.  There are no pressure changes that can help this only way is to find out WHY you cut off your own airway and change.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I would add one more thing.  Because this is a new machine - please read post on this site about the difference between the Phillips and ResMed machines.  The vast majority of people here prefer the Resmed 10S autoset.  It consistently gives better therapy than the Phillips.  None of us has any connection with any manufacturer, we only see many more people helped with the resmed.  And resmed has many different machines - The Autoset or Autoset for her are the machines most recommended.
Also I think something is wrong with your machine. 4 should be the lowest pressure it will go to and your shows almost 3.5. Something is not correct.

If possible I would take it back and see if you can change it for a ResMed.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Stacy.    I think you are correct.   Pretty sure this machine is defective.      I will return and see about the res med.    My last dream station did not make it more than 4.5 years.     Looks like time for a change.   Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s great remember the name autoset or autoset for her. They have a lot of different models and some will not give information except compliance info (no Oscar)!
Post Reply Post Reply
Given the fact that you have been successfully using a Dreamstation, you have a legitimate reason to continue to do so with a new machine.

Here are my thoughts
The AutoSet is sooo much more capable.

ResMed AutoSet Dreamstation Auto comparison
Why ResMed?
1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.
2. ResMed Responds to Flow Limits
   PR responds to Snores
3. Lower average pressure (PR require a higher pressure to ward off obstructive events)
4. Better to avoid Aerophagia.
5. Flex is not the same as EPR
6. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores
7. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw (1,2, or 3cmw) and a max pressure of 20 cmw
8. EPR follows your breathing whereas Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly
9. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.
10. In general ResMed provides better therapy.
I have frequently told many DreamStation users that they need to get either the ResMed AutoSet or BiLevel to get better therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was given this advice:
"Recommend you turn off EZ Start as it will reduce the maximum auto pressure increases for the first few weeks of treatment. "

It addressed what I think is your issue
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you,   will try that tonight.    I feel like your user name!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,713 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,534 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,304 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.