Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some opinions
Need some opinions
I am new here. I just started treatment for my mild/moderate sleep apnea. I am just curious what a good AHI reading is while using your cpap. For the last two weeks my AHI has been running anywhere from 3.4 to 4.8. Just want to know if they are good numbers or should I consider adjusting my pressure settings. Currently my pressure setting is 9. I know my machine will do a autopap 30 day trial to figure out what my pressure is usually running and after the 30 days it goes back to normal cpap mode at 95% of the highest pressure over the last 30 days. Just want to see what others would do in this situations and what kind of tongue lashing I would get from my DME.

thanksThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need peoples opinions
Generally accepted that less than 5 is OK. During this period, likely your S9 is running "wide open" -- allowed to adjust over a wide range of pressures.
Best not to touch it during this period.

After 30 days, they will probably try to give you a "dumb brick." An xPAP with set pressure and not detailed data capability.
Before you accept that machine, is your chance to negotiate and lobby for the best machine you can get. Hint, the Escape is not considered "good."

Follow the forum; and learn what machines are in favor; when and why people adjust, et cetera
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need peoples opinions
(04-14-2014, 07:55 PM)justMongo Wrote: Generally accepted that less than 5 is OK. During this period, likely your S9 is running "wide open" -- allowed to adjust over a wide range of pressures.
Best not to touch it during this period.

After 30 days, they will probably try to give you a "dumb brick." An xPAP with set pressure and not detailed data capability.
Before you accept that machine, is your chance to negotiate and lobby for the best machine you can get. Hint, the Escape is not considered "good."

Follow the forum; and learn what machines are in favor; when and why people adjust, et cetera

Thanks for your response I actually got rid of the s9 cpap and now have the PR system one remstar pro. It is set at a constant 9cm/h20 its not a autopap but can do a autopap trial to figure out what pressure is required usually. its a special setting under the clinicians setup.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some opinions
Hi afman151892,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The only thing about the machine you have now is that you will have to keep resetting it if you want it to be in the auto-pap mode.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine as you and here's what I did.
I ran the machine in straight CPAP mode for the first few weeks and got about the same AHI as you.
I then switched to Auto-Trial for 5 days using 1 cm below the current setting as the low setting and 4 cm above the current setting as the high limit. After the 5 days it switched to CPAP-check and uses the 90% pressure that it determined during the Auto-Trail. For me that was 15.1 cmH2O.

My original pressure was 13 cmH2O so as you see it wasn't high enough. That's why it's good to run the Auto-Trial for a while to help figure out if your prescribed pressure is correct. Also by running Auto-Trial for 5 days I can use it again without having to reset the machine. Auto-Trial is defaulted to 7 days but you can adjust it from 3 days up to whatever time is left for Auto-Trial, with the max being 30 days. I read that the machine can be reset up to 5 times. So in theory, you could get a max of 150 days of auto titration out of the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 09:57 AM)Bama Rambler Wrote: I have the same machine as you and here's what I did.
I ran the machine in straight CPAP mode for the first few weeks and got about the same AHI as you.
I then switched to Auto-Trial for 5 days using 1 cm below the current setting as the low setting and 4 cm above the current setting as the high limit. After the 5 days it switched to CPAP-check and uses the 90% pressure that it determined during the Auto-Trail. For me that was 15.1 cmH2O.

My original pressure was 13 cmH2O so as you see it wasn't high enough. That's why it's good to run the Auto-Trial for a while to help figure out if your prescribed pressure is correct. Also by running Auto-Trial for 5 days I can use it again without having to reset the machine. Auto-Trial is defaulted to 7 days but you can adjust it from 3 days up to whatever time is left for Auto-Trial, with the max being 30 days. I read that the machine can be reset up to 5 times. So in theory, you could get a max of 150 days of auto titration out of the machine.

did you get any push back from your sleep doc or DME for doing this or did you ask them first
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you accept push back from a clerk in a retail store?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 10:06 AM)afman151892 Wrote: did you get any push back from your sleep doc or DME for doing this or did you ask them first

How are they going to know?

A few folks have gotten flak from their doc. In a recent post, one person reported a doctor dropped them by sending a notice by certified mail.

The DMEs sometimes balk; but, don't have a lot of power to stop you.
Who owns your machine? You? An insurance co? The DME? Are you required to show compliance with therapy like people in safety positions like commercial truck drivers?

The M in DME stands for Mendacious.

If in the US, this is still a semi-free country...
[Image: 79.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Never discussed it with either, but I took the Encore report to the Sleep Doc yesterday and it clearly shows where and how I changed the settings and I even pointed out where my AHI and other parameters (snore, RERA, etc.) got better after I changed it and he had no problem with it at all. He said keep up the good work, see you at the next appointment, and if you need anything call me and I'll take care of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your help. So many new things to get used to using a cpap
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F&P SleepStyle Opinions zzz1 0 180 02-01-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: zzz1
  2 weeks on new ResMes ASV, need some opinions/ advice RickEiben 32 2,771 08-17-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: RickEiben
  sfr79's Treatment Thread / Analysis, Opinions, Suggestions Welcomed sfr79 9 1,213 01-04-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Symptoms] ian93 story - Looking for opinions ian93 3 572 11-08-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Opinions wanted - Stop or Continue PAP after wake up B1Sailor 14 1,289 10-09-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Opinions on Settings Help Resmed VAuto Johnnyde94 15 1,276 08-02-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Johnnyde94
  Will Medicare Cover 2nd Opinions on SA Diagnosis? manich 4 623 07-05-2022, 11:45 AM
Last Post: manich

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.