Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need tip for tip of Resmed Quattro FF Mask
RE: Need tip for tip of Resmed Quattro FF Mask
I wish I had a face like the dummy-faces ResMed uses!

Instead, I've got a higher bridge and recessed lower teeth. If I tighten the top too much, I've been in a boxing match.

To prevent leaks from the bottom (because my top teeth stick out and my bottom teeth are recessed), I have to pull in the bottom part which tilts the top nose part, creating a cutting angle of the silicone into the nose. Instead of using the Resmed Gecko on the nose bridge, I'm actually experimenting with putting it on the bottom -- leveling out the bottom teeth with the top teeth. The only probablem of course is that leaks occur, later in the night, around the sides of the Gecko.

Why doesn't ResMed make a Gecko-like structure that fits the full frame of the mask? Alternatively, why don't they make a version of the Activa LT and goes around the nose AND mouth? (I would have bought the LT but the dimensions seem to suit people that have shorter noses. There sizes account for wider noses, but not taller/longer noses.)

I may not be cut-out (pardon the pun) for full face masks. Of course, the added challenge is I'm a mouth breather.

Regarding trimming the hard plastic, there is the bottom layer which touches the face and the inner layer which seems to rise up onto the top of one's nose and be like a wing on each side. I'm still trying to understand the cutting. Is everyone talking about trimming the inner parts of those wings? The only other inner plastic part is the tiny ring of silicone that attaches to the hard plastic part of the frame, but that seems to be only about 1/8".

(04-04-2014, 02:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Well it did solve the problem, but I have since moved on to the Quattro Air, and it's little brother the Airfit P10. But it is still in my stable and I'll probably use it again one day.

Just be very careful when trimming the silicone to not cut the part that needs to be there for the mask to inflate. It's also good to try to not have a sharp edge at the end of the silicone you trim so that it cannot poke you in the nose if it gets unhappy about something.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2014, 01:59 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Regarding trimming the hard plastic, there is the bottom layer which touches the face and the inner layer which seems to rise up onto the top of one's nose and be like a wing on each side. I'm still trying to understand the cutting. Is everyone talking about trimming the inner parts of those wings? The only other inner plastic part is the tiny ring of silicone that attaches to the hard plastic part of the frame, but that seems to be only about 1/8".

(04-04-2014, 02:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Well it did solve the problem, but I have since moved on to the Quattro Air, and it's little brother the Airfit P10. But it is still in my stable and I'll probably use it again one day.

Just be very careful when trimming the silicone to not cut the part that needs to be there for the mask to inflate. It's also good to try to not have a sharp edge at the end of the silicone you trim so that it cannot poke you in the nose if it gets unhappy about something.

Remove the mask from the blue thing it's attached to. At the bridge, there is a clear, hard line that rubs right on your nose. It's below the thin stuff that forms the seal. The goal is to remove a little of the clear hard stuff without damaging the stuff that makes the seal.

Post Reply Post Reply
I did try this and it seemed to help greatly. The problem was that I used an old cushion that was leaking before I altered it. I am going to have to wait until I get another older cushion that doesn't leak so I can try this again. I don't want to try it on the only good one I have right now. I will share the results. The mask leaked, but the bridge of my nose felt great! This appears to be a very helpful modification. Thanks for sharing this great idea TheWerkz!
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 07:04 PM)Airstream Wrote: I did try this and it seemed to help greatly. The problem was that I used an old cushion that was leaking before I altered it. I am going to have to wait until I get another older cushion that doesn't leak so I can try this again. I don't want to try it on the only good one I have right now. I will share the results. The mask leaked, but the bridge of my nose felt great! This appears to be a very helpful modification. Thanks for sharing this great idea TheWerkz!

Glad it helped. This was info provided to me by one of our many tried and true alumni around here. I think someone else had provided it to him. And that's how it all works!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 12:25 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Just to followup, I tried THEWERKZ suggestion for neutering my mask (see previous posts). It worked! My mask and I were a happy couple last night as we slept for over 8 hours without my nose hurting at all. I need to trim just a tiny bit more off the sides of the silicone bead then I'll be all set. My leak percentage was a little higher than I'd like it to be but I didn't care. My mask and I just shared the moment together, and all is well with the world. Now I'm ready to declare this as my forever mask and write a review on it. At least until my new one arrives next week. Then we'll see.

I think I may try something similar to the side pieces in my Air too. I had been thinking about it, but didn't want to go hacking on it...

Seeing that it worked on a different type, and knowing that I have my P10 now, gives me some motivation to try it out.

I think it was the tops of those side wings inside the seal that were giving me problems on the top of my nose when I used the Air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 05:03 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: I think I may try something similar to the side pieces in my Air too. I had been thinking about it, but didn't want to go hacking on it...

Seeing that it worked on a different type, and knowing that I have my P10 now, gives me some motivation to try it out.

I think it was the tops of those side wings inside the seal that were giving me problems on the top of my nose when I used the Air.

It was the Mirage Quattro that had this problem. I don't know if the Air does or not. But it was a hard piece of plastic that rubbed on the bridge of Mr. Nosie that was very unpleasant.

It was nice reading this old thread and remembering my ffm's. I moved to the P10 in April last year and haven't looked back. You'll find that too I suspect. In fact, everyone will: Resistance is futile.
Post Reply Post Reply
I trimmed my Mirage Quattro mask and it is much easier on my nose. Another thing I find to be helpful is to use a cloth liner in the nose area of the mask. I make mine from over the hill tee shirts since pure cotton is nice and soft. I cut a hole in it so it fits over the shank of the forehead adjuster and that keeps it in place when installing the mask. It extends down to just short of my nose tip by about 1/2 inch and laterally to 1/2 beyond the sides of the mask seal. This self made liner makes for better nose comfort but does another important function, it diffuses any air leaks in the area of the eyes which were previously very bothersome. Now they are not noticeable at all.

Another tip that you may find useful...right after washing the mask cushion, let it dry and then wipe it with a Pampers, the things used for babies butts. They have no perfume and are hypoallergenic. They have a small amount of aloe mixed with the water that moisturizes them and when that dries on the mask cushion, it leaves a coating on there that when you rub your finger across the cushion, you'll feel more drag than usual. Nothing gummy, just less slick than the silicon of the cushion. That helps prevent the mask from shifting as you move around during the night. I have used these wipes for several months now and they have no deleterious effects on the mask cushion nor any allergic reaction on my face. Before using these wipes, I washed the mask daily and always had leak problems. Now I use the wipes for cleaning the mask on a daily basis and wash it only once a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice idea about trimming the mask! My troubles with red nose and leaks ended when I started using the padacheek liner that Payton mentioned.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 08:52 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I trimmed my Mirage Quattro mask and it is much easier on my nose. Another thing I find to be helpful is to use a cloth liner in the nose area of the mask. I make mine from over the hill tee shirts since pure cotton is nice and soft. I cut a hole in it so it fits over the shank of the forehead adjuster and that keeps it in place when installing the mask. It extends down to just short of my nose tip by about 1/2 inch and laterally to 1/2 beyond the sides of the mask seal. This self made liner makes for better nose comfort but does another important function, it diffuses any air leaks in the area of the eyes which were previously very bothersome. Now they are not noticeable at all.

Another tip that you may find useful...right after washing the mask cushion, let it dry and then wipe it with a Pampers, the things used for babies butts. They have no perfume and are hypoallergenic. They have a small amount of aloe mixed with the water that moisturizes them and when that dries on the mask cushion, it leaves a coating on there that when you rub your finger across the cushion, you'll feel more drag than usual. Nothing gummy, just less slick than the silicon of the cushion. That helps prevent the mask from shifting as you move around during the night. I have used these wipes for several months now and they have no deleterious effects on the mask cushion nor any allergic reaction on my face. Before using these wipes, I washed the mask daily and always had leak problems. Now I use the wipes for cleaning the mask on a daily basis and wash it only once a week.

Good stuff Surfie, and we always thought you were just another pretty face.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you R_G, .....I think. I call your attention to my current pressure settings and I think it will convince you that I have dealt with leaks. You may also wonder if perhaps you may want to start upping your pressure and finally recover the ability to sleep on your back. I finally reached that level but it goes to 19.6 cm. when doing it, so I keep it to a couple of hours per night. It's just wonderful to be able to do that again after all this time trying to beat this apnea with minimum pressure. Now 19.6 cm is getting to be a piece of cake.

Here's something that will help those who are newbies and maybe some oldies. Don't worry about leaks that are well below the red line of 24 liters/min. It can be extremely painful to fight the smaller leaks by tightening the mask and it does no real good to do so. If the leaks don't make noise and wake you up and don't blow directly in your eyes and cause dry eye problems, let them alone and find something more productive to do. Try to reach some ridiculously low leak level is just as bad as insisting on getting your AHI's down to zero. It's not productive, has no benefit and can make you miserable. My leak level is normally around 7.6 but often goes up to 14, especially when I sleep on my back and the pressure reaches near 20 cm wc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 361 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 503 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,481 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,069 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mask Change P10/ N30 to F20 Issue (Resmed) mcman56 14 950 11-12-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.