Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need tip for tip of Resmed Quattro FF Mask
Need tip for tip of Resmed Quattro FF Mask
I really like my Quattro full face mask. I have a pillows mask that frankly we'll never see eye-to-eye on, so off to the closet they go. And I have a nasal mask that's ok, but often I have a stuffy nose and nasal masks don't do all that well with stuffy noses.

But my ffm is a delight! When it works right. It likes to wait until I'm about to drift happily off then express itself it certain, unflatering ways. But that's ok. I have discovered that with the help of a liner, it will happily go about it's business of doing what it's supposed to do.

And I sleep like a babe with this thing. So that's all good.

So what's the problem? Well, this morning when I woke up I was having such a nice experience just laying there with my mask pumping away. It was grand. Until I realized the top of my nose hurt like crazy, right at the bridge. It seems like the mask was rubbing a raw spot or something right there at the very bridge of my nose. That is not acceptable and I informed my mask of that! But it just keep puffing along, not really giving a whit that I was in excruciating pain.. (well, discomfort anyway.)

So does anyone have a tip for what can be done about this? I don't really want to have to go to another mask, I'm a one mask sort of a guy. Or maybe one mask with a couple of others on the side sort of a guy. I like this mask I just don't like it making my nose unhappy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need tip for tip of Resmed Quattro FF Mask
retired_guy, I would try a Bandaid or a small bit of material where it is rubbing, I used to make my own liners so used off cuts. I used to use the Mirage Quattro and had this issue since moving to the Quattro Air it seems to have hleped. Do you have the hose coming from above your head? That may take some pressure off the mask where it is rubbing against your nose. Whatever you do, don't let it turn into a sore or it is difficult to heal and you will be back to the pillows from out of the cupboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 07:28 PM)Tez62 Wrote: retired_guy, I would try a Bandaid or a small bit of material where it is rubbing, I used to make my own liners so used off cuts. I used to use the Mirage Quattro and had this issue since moving to the Quattro Air it seems to have hleped. Do you have the hose coming from above your head? That may take some pressure off the mask where it is rubbing against your nose. Whatever you do, don't let it turn into a sore or it is difficult to heal and you will be back to the pillows from out of the cupboard.

The Mirage Quattro seems quite popular as a high-end mask with a great seal; but I've heard a few people talk about marks on their bridges with it. I even had that on a Quattro Air for a short time but I tried to loosen up on those higher-level pressure straps. I still got it a little; but, as someone else said, it's gone in an hour or two.

retired_guy, have you tried lightening up on the pressure straps? You probably did and probably had some air rushing through to the eyes. Didn't someone mention medical tape before? I wonder if a person can purchase silicone tape or thin silicone sheets and cut a strip out for the bridge.

A sleep study clinic tech mentioned that (much) earlier full-face masks had much more adjustable angles to achieve a better seal with bigger bridges, over-bites, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 07:23 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I really like my Quattro full face mask. I have a pillows mask that frankly we'll never see eye-to-eye on, so off to the closet they go. And I have a nasal mask that's ok, but often I have a stuffy nose and nasal masks don't do all that well with stuffy noses.

But my ffm is a delight! When it works right. It likes to wait until I'm about to drift happily off then express itself it certain, unflatering ways. But that's ok. I have discovered that with the help of a liner, it will happily go about it's business of doing what it's supposed to do.

And I sleep like a babe with this thing. So that's all good.

So what's the problem? Well, this morning when I woke up I was having such a nice experience just laying there with my mask pumping away. It was grand. Until I realized the top of my nose hurt like crazy, right at the bridge. It seems like the mask was rubbing a raw spot or something right there at the very bridge of my nose. That is not acceptable and I informed my mask of that! But it just keep puffing along, not really giving a whit that I was in excruciating pain.. (well, discomfort anyway.)

So does anyone have a tip for what can be done about this? I don't really want to have to go to another mask, I'm a one mask sort of a guy. Or maybe one mask with a couple of others on the side sort of a guy. I like this mask I just don't like it making my nose unhappy.

That mask has an adjustment for the nose bridge doesn't it?
Can you not back off on that by turning it ccw a bit.
I use the same mask; and it's great. Of course we all have different faces; and it might be digging in a bit for you.

How old is your mask cushion? Changing them give new ability to seal with less pressure on the face.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 08:41 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:
(03-16-2014, 07:28 PM)Tez62 Wrote: retired_guy, I would try a Bandaid or a small bit of material where it is rubbing, I used to make my own liners so used off cuts. I used to use the Mirage Quattro and had this issue since moving to the Quattro Air it seems to have hleped. Do you have the hose coming from above your head? That may take some pressure off the mask where it is rubbing against your nose. Whatever you do, don't let it turn into a sore or it is difficult to heal and you will be back to the pillows from out of the cupboard.

The Mirage Quattro seems quite popular as a high-end mask with a great seal; but I've heard a few people talk about marks on their bridges with it. I even had that on a Quattro Air for a short time but I tried to loosen up on those higher-level pressure straps. I still got it a little; but, as someone else said, it's gone in an hour or two.

retired_guy, have you tried lightening up on the pressure straps? You probably did and probably had some air rushing through to the eyes. Didn't someone mention medical tape before? I wonder if a person can purchase silicone tape or thin silicone sheets and cut a strip out for the bridge.

A sleep study clinic tech mentioned that (much) earlier full-face masks had much more adjustable angles to achieve a better seal with bigger bridges, over-bites, etc.

I tried this mask and I just couldn't make it work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. Going to bed now. I'm going to try Tez's idea with the bandaid. Do I put it on me or the mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
On you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Which Quattro FFM do you have? There are two types.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the Activa as in your profile -- or the Quattro?

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 07:45 AM)justMongo Wrote: Do you have the Activa as in your profile -- or the Quattro?

and is it Quattro FX or Mirage Quattro?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 339 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 361 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 506 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,483 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,072 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mask Change P10/ N30 to F20 Issue (Resmed) mcman56 14 951 11-12-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.