Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need tip for tip of Resmed Quattro FF Mask
RE: Need tip for tip of Resmed Quattro FF Mask
(03-17-2014, 10:08 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I do not doubt that carving the silicone stiffeners has worked but I am trying to figure out why. I guess if your skin is somewhat sensitive to something in the silicone, reducing the pressure of the seal against the skin might help.

It all depends on anyone's individual nose, more precisely - the bridge, and the cartilage that forms the bridge can be longer or shorter or wider or taller than the "average" sizing model ResMed uses to create the mask and how big, long or thick to make the inner stiffener etc., but, as soon as you apply the best fitting mask to that non-standard real-life face, then adjustments have to be made for it to fit as perfectly as possible.

If I take a brand new cushion and try to wear it without first trimming it then I too would get a sore bridge, I did have the same problem before I became 'hip' to the fix, my bridge was sore for a year but for the last 6 years I don't get sore nor do I get the redness.

It's such a simple tweak that makes a huge difference for a lot of people.

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2014, 12:22 AM)retired_guy Wrote: It does seem like getting ready for bed is getting way complicated though. Maybe I should start in around noon.

I find it's best to start preparing for sleep the moment I wake-up!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use a ffm, but I did notice on the ResMed website that they have something called a "Gecko nasal pad" that seems like it is just for this purpose. You might want to check it out - or maybe that is the "funky silicone floppy thing" the sleep guys gave sent you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2014, 12:12 PM)skram Wrote: I don't use a ffm, but I did notice on the ResMed website that they have something called a "Gecko nasal pad" that seems like it is just for this purpose. You might want to check it out - or maybe that is the "funky silicone floppy thing" the sleep guys gave sent you?

Yes. A Gecko pad. That's what they sent me. Actually they sent me a whole case of them or about 10 months supply. I tried it last night. My nose felt better. The mask was unable to achieve any kind of a reasonable seal. After futzing with it for a few hours I gave up and went to my nasal mask for the rest of the night. Happily last night was one of those occasions where my nose worked sufficiently well to allow me to do that.

I'm all over trying the "cut and paste" option. That's what I'm going to do tonight even though I don't have a replacement pad for the mask if I screw it up. But it cannot be used anymore as is, so nothing to lose here.

...and I have consulted a mask-divorce attorney. If the cut and paste thing doesn't work, it'll sadly be time to move on. I'm looking at the Resmed Airfit P10, which does not appear to have that hard silicone ridge in it. Any opinions or ideas on that?

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 06:01 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: Here's a tip I haven't seen in this thread and I do it everytime I get a replacement cushion for my Mirage Quattro.

Remove the cushion and the plastic retainer, take a pair of scissors, separate the top piece of thicker inner-silicone from the thinner outer-silicone that actually rests on your face.

Now, trim a small piece (start with 1/8") of the thick inner mask at the very top of both sides where it normally pushes the thinner mask skirt against the bridge of your nose, you want to follow the curved contour to keep the shape the same as it is now.

DO NOT CUT THE THIN SKIRT THAT ACTUALLY TOUCHES YOUR FACE.

I had the pinched redness for the first year I had this mask, after trimming the tops of the inner silicone flaps I haven't had a single problem for the last 6 years, you'll have to modify every subsequent cushion you buy or they'll give you the red-nose.

If you have an old cushion you should practice trimming it first, it's very easy but you do have to make sure the scissors don't accidentally cut the skirt (the part that touches your face).

If this doesn't make sense to you I can attach a picture if you need one.

The two inner flaps help give the mask some stiffness but, the top of these two inner flaps is too long for some people and that's what causes the redness and irritation at the bridge of the nose.

I have to remove about 3/16" from my mask cushion but since everyone is different you need to determine how much you'll need to remove to fit your nose without pinching it.

Let us know how it works for you but, don't start trimming it if you don't completely understand what or why you're doing it first.

When you're finished your nose will thank you!

Good luck,

Ren

OK Ren, I did this. I don't think I damaged the mask in any way other than reducing the silicone ridge a bit. I thought maybe this would be an opportunity for me to finally get to use the Sawz-all that I got for Christmas, but decided to go with small scissors instead.

I'll find out later how it worked!

---Thanks again,

-- John

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to followup, I tried THEWERKZ suggestion for neutering my mask (see previous posts). It worked! My mask and I were a happy couple last night as we slept for over 8 hours without my nose hurting at all. I need to trim just a tiny bit more off the sides of the silicone bead then I'll be all set. My leak percentage was a little higher than I'd like it to be but I didn't care. My mask and I just shared the moment together, and all is well with the world. Now I'm ready to declare this as my forever mask and write a review on it. At least until my new one arrives next week. Then we'll see.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am happy that it worked out well for you.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ren, I would like to try this and although I think I understand your instructions, I would like to see a photo of this if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks. Jeff.

To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wondering, AirStream & Retired_Guy, if trimming the inner silicone of the mask has permanently solved the problem of the mask cutting into the nose bridge. I'll be trying that trimming tonight.

For others with bumpy nose bridges, did anyone try the Quattro FX mask, that attaches lower on the nose? The concept seems great for those of us with bumpy nose bridges, however I've heard that there may be leaking challenges as a result of higher pressures and not having the upper face band and nose dial.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 02:49 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Just wondering, AirStream & Retired_Guy, if trimming the inner silicone of the mask has permanently solved the problem of the mask cutting into the nose bridge. I'll be trying that trimming tonight.

For others with bumpy nose bridges, did anyone try the Quattro FX mask, that attaches lower on the nose? The concept seems great for those of us with bumpy nose bridges, however I've heard that there may be leaking challenges as a result of higher pressures and not having the upper face band and nose dial.

Well it did solve the problem, but I have since moved on to the Quattro Air, and it's little brother the Airfit P10. But it is still in my stable and I'll probably use it again one day.

Just be very careful when trimming the silicone to not cut the part that needs to be there for the mask to inflate. It's also good to try to not have a sharp edge at the end of the silicone you trim so that it cannot poke you in the nose if it gets unhappy about something.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 339 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 361 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 506 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,482 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,071 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mask Change P10/ N30 to F20 Issue (Resmed) mcman56 14 951 11-12-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.