Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need to Sleep On My Back, Jack Up The Pressure?
Need to Sleep On My Back, Jack Up The Pressure?
I am having a real problem with my shoulder/neck muscles and I sept on my back for a few hours today. When I woke up I had relief that I have not felt for some time. So when I sleep on my back, I know I am more susceptible to AHI's. Would it be advisable to go from 9 to 11?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need to Sleep On My Back, Jack Up The Pressure?
If you could prop the pillow a bit, that might help. Maybe go up 1 to start and see what happens over a few days. You may not want to jump it up so much, as you might not be used to it, and it could disrupt your sleep on its own. My 2 cents worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 07:47 PM)player Wrote: I am having a real problem with my shoulder/neck muscles and I sept on my back for a few hours today. When I woke up I had relief that I have not felt for some time. So when I sleep on my back, I know I am more susceptible to AHI's. Would it be advisable to go from 9 to 11?

What was your AHI on your back last night vs. previous nights?

Not everyone has problems when back sleeping.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, raise it just a little and try it. In my case the pressure does rise a bit when I'm on my back, but not a lot. A point or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
so, are you folks saying its OK to sleep on our backs? I also have major pain in my shoulders, and force myself mostly to sleep on my side, I am encouraged and pleasantly surprised by this post...Smile

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually start out sleeping on one side or the other, but sometime during the night I roll over onto my back, simply because I have pain in my hips if sleep too long on my sides.
My pressure goes up a slight bit during the times on my back, but really doesn't affect my AHI number. I also sleep slightly elevated.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leave it where it is at. You don't know if you need to go there. If it was an Autoset, then yeah, it wouldn't go any higher than you need it. Stay where you are for now, and look at the data in a few days to see if there's a pattern. Then if your AHIs are going up consistently, bump it up a half cm.

For what it's worth, my numbers don't change appreciably in going from sleeping prostrate, supine or on my side.

But anticipating problems absent data is kind of uncalled for. You need a baseline from which to make an educated decision.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 08:50 PM)storywizard Wrote: so, are you folks saying its OK to sleep on our backs? I also have major pain in my shoulders, and force myself mostly to sleep on my side, I am encouraged and pleasantly surprised by this post...Smile

Storywizard

Yes!

(with the positive pressure to compensate...) Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 08:50 PM)storywizard Wrote: so, are you folks saying its OK to sleep on our backs? I also have major pain in my shoulders, and force myself mostly to sleep on my side, I am encouraged and pleasantly surprised by this post...Smile

Storywizard

Absofreakinloutely!

That's what the CPAP machine is for. To keep your airway open however you sleep. It is the CPAP's job to keep up with you, not your job to sacrifice restful sleep to make the CPAP's job easier.

**Editorial follows**
It is a downside of having data so readily available. Don't take that to think I mean data reporting is bad.

Sometimes on this forum, I get the sense that folks are chasing statistics in a data dump or graph to let that be the determining factor as to whether they got a good night's sleep - not how they remember sleeping or how they feel when they get up. If you're feeling bad, know you're waking up all night long gasping, then the data is a good place to start looking to see where the choo-choo is leaving the tracks. But the numbers, by themselves, don't tell the whole story.

So if I have a couple apneic episodes and my number goes up form 0.1 to 2.0, but the machine does what it supposed to do (blow harder to open my airway), and I wake up with a relaxed, pain-free back as opposed to having 0.1 AHI but a kinked back, give me the higher AHI number.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 09:43 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: So if I have a couple apneic episodes and my number goes up form 0.1 to 2.0, but the machine does what it supposed to do (blow harder to open my airway), and I wake up with a relaxed, pain-free back as opposed to having 0.1 AHI but a kinked back, give me the higher AHI number.

The original post in this thread was somebody with a ResMed Airsense 10 Elite. That is a fixed pressure CPAP machine, not a variable pressure AutoSet machine. If they have a much higher AHI sleeping on their back, bumping up the pressure might help.

My only advice is to make changes very slowly. I'd bump by 1 cm-h2o and collect data for a week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] My sleep dr raised pressure to 16 Vickil 4 151 03-19-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.