Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need to Sleep On My Back, Jack Up The Pressure?
RE: Need to Sleep On My Back, Jack Up The Pressure?
Just one caution:

Not everyone can be successful sleeping on their back. For some their apnea will just not permit it. But it is certainly well worth the effort to see if you can do it. One of my biggest joys with the cpap experience has been sleeping on my back -- something I had not been able to do for many years.

For best results, try to make sure the head of your bed is elevated a bit. Not just extra pillows, because usually that will just force your head to bend forward, making your breathing more difficult. But if you elevate your upper body so that in theory you could actually see your toes when laying on your back, then you will have the best chance at succeeding. .....and one additional caution: if you elevate your body too much you might end up on the floor in the middle of the night on top of the kitty.

Post Reply Post Reply
Player,

I know exactly how you feel. I, also want to sleep on my back. I have an arthritic shoulder, 1/3 of my neck is fused together so it does not move like it should, I get muscle pain in my neck and up until recently I had severe sciatica. I JUST WANT TO SLEEP ON MY BACK!

I have tried it all. Raising pressure, sleeping upright or inclined, it does not help for me. I have positional apnea and my AHI will go up to 20. I sleep by switching from one side to the other as the discomfort gets worst. I still sleep better then before I was treated for apnea.

BUT, EVERY ONE IS DIFFERENT! You might have success with trying some of the ideas.

Car54
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to start sleeping on my back but I prop myself up with pillows. Not due to apnea reasons but for comfort. I took my body pillow and made a U out of it, with the "legs" pointing down the bed. I put my head at the top of the U and the legs then support my shoulders. I use two pillows under my legs and thighs for further support.

My suggestion is to leave the pressure alone. You want to see if you need to, first. You may not. If you increase it, then you have to adjust to it (do you have pressure-induced central events?) while also adjusting to sleeping on your back and adjusting to the pain that is causing you to sleep on your back. Too many variables. Sleep on your back for a while. Gather data. Rest. If the AHI consistently jumps to over 5 and stays there over 3 nights or so and you don't ever do that and you don't feel rested, then sure, increase it, say, half or a full point. If it increases above your normal but stays below 5 and you are feeling rested, leave it.

Who knows, you may only need to sleep that way a few nights and then you can go back to sleeping your regular way. Then you'd have to drop the pressure back down.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also must sleep on my back. I have found that to keep my pressure lower, so my sinuses do not get 'bent all out of shape', I must raise my head. Was using multiple pillows. Finally got an adjustable bed at thrift store!

Now, my pressure is kept at reasonable level, my sinuses and back are happy!Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Barbz,
I too purchased an adjustable bed. The propping of the pillows just wasn't working.

It was an expense that I really couldn't afford, but more and more I found myself sleeping on my back due to hip pain. This bed has made a hugh difference for me. You can find good deals if you look around.

I consider it just another CPAP/Apnea expense, but worth it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, we need to get me one but first have to renovate the bedroom. Just not the room for it the way it is arranged right now. That and only one outlet in the entire room. Old houses, gotta love 'em. Or move.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,954 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] My sleep dr raised pressure to 16 Vickil 4 147 03-19-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 395 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.