Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need to increase BiPAP air pressure?
Need to increase BiPAP air pressure?
Hello.  I am new here and need your help please.  I am struggling at night even with my bipap and full face mask.  I think I need to increase my pressure and range since I am still having mild apnea with compliant use of my new machine.

The settings are

Mode-VPAP-S
EPAP-8.00 cmH2O
IPAP-18.60 cmH2O

Total AHI last night was 14.41
of that 3.63 was due to Clear Airway and Obstructive was 10.79.  Hypopneas were only.10

I am waking in a panic, feeling smothered, heart racing.  Last night it happened so many times, I lost count.  I am thinking of increasing to 20 or more on the IPAP and increasing the EPAP too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  
Nita
Nitaslenz Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need to increase BiPAP air pressure??
Welcome to the forum.

Why are you using a PS of 10.6?

Please post your OSCAR daily charts so we can see what is going on.

Do you have any respiratory issues other than apnea?
Any Cardiac issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
No. No other issues and not sure why the PS is set there.

Hmmm. Should I change the mode from s?
Nitaslenz Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I am struggling with saving and posting my daily reports from OSCAR.  As soon as I figure it out I will post.  Thank you so much.
Nitaslenz Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Are there any hypopneas? If not, I would reduce the the IPAP a bit while increasing the EPAP. EPAP will improve the obstructive apneas, and less PS (pressure support, difference between IPAP and EPAP) will reduce the clear airway. A PS greater than 5 is normally not used for OSA, absent some type of issue causing ventilation/respiratory problems, or if using an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2020, 04:32 PM)nitaslenz108 Wrote: I am struggling with saving and posting my daily reports from OSCAR.  As soon as I figure it out I will post.  Thank you so much.

what is causing you trouble?  There are many here that can help you with this.
Post Reply Post Reply

.pdf   1-11-20 OSCAR.pdf (Size: 306.77 KB / Downloads: 27)  Here are my daily reports.  Finally!  Thanks

I think the problem I am having with posting my reports is on my end.  I reviewed and followed the OSCAR instructions but my screen shots did not capture what I needed.  I printed and scanned.

I am having very few hypopneas now.  Last night was only .10.  Thank you so much for your help.
Nitaslenz Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Try an F12 to take the screenshot  (next time). 

1.  You are very likely tucking your chin.  This is the most common cause of the clustering of your obstructive events.  The fix is usually a soft cervical collar, see the link in my signature for details.  An anti-snoring or sleep collar will also work.

2.  I would like to get you back to "normal" values of PS,  Get you eventually back to PS of 4, then take it from there.  4 is the common default setting for PS.

3.  Because this PS is so far off.  I would like to see all of your settings, even ones that you don't think are important because we don't have a reason I'll assume that other settings may be "off"

New settings
EPAP is what treats Obstructive Apnea, we will, for now, keep that at its current setting of 8
IPAP is what determines your PS,  two options here, IPAP = 12 (PS=4, ultimate goal) if it doesn't "feel" right or you are having ANY difficulty try IPAP = 15 (PS=7, intermediate value)  Based on comfort

So new settings
EPAP = 8 (current setting)
IPAP = 12 (goal) or 15 (Intermediate value) depending on comfort  This will deliver a PS of 4 or 7 respectively.  

Note: the reduction of PS should result in lower values for your central apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much Fred! I will try these settings tonight.  
I did try the F12 multiple times on my Oscar page but the pic it took was totally white/blank when I checked the save file.

Your being here brings hope to a distressful, bleak situation (for me at least).  I have felt so alone while trying to get well.  This evening, I do not feel so alone thanks to you.
Nita Smile
Nitaslenz Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a regular screen print. The data is so much better online and not in the report.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,191 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 104 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 24 1,586 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 234 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Daveman
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 378 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 215 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 475 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.