Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 Autostart
ResMed AirSense 10 Autostart
I've noticed that my AHI has be around 10 or 11 lately.  I know how to adjust my settings, but I'm not sure what the settings mean.  There is a minimum and maximum pressure.  There is also a start pressure.  For example, let's say I  have a minimum pressure of 15 and maximum pressure of 20.  My start pressure can be anything from 15 and below.  Let's say 10.  If my minimum pressure is 15 and maximum pressure is 20 how can I have a start pressure of 10?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Autostart
Welcome to Apnea Board.

The start pressure refers to the pressure the machine first uses before it ramps up to the therapeutic pressure. This implies you have the ramp feature turned on - it's designed to ease you gently up to operating pressure. The default ramp time is 45 minutes, but that is waaaay too long! It's best not to have any ramp if you don't need it, otherwise set the ramp for the shortest period you can tolerate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lbl82! Welcome to the forum.

The starting pressure you are referring to is the Ramp setting. You can either turn it off (preferred) or set the starting pressure at your minimum pressure and set the ramp time to a low time value. If you use the later option, the pressure will not increase, even if you need an increase, until the time you set has been reached.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's say my minimum pressure is 15 and my maximum pressure is 20. My start pressure is 10 and my ramp is set to auto. So when I go to sleep my pressure automatically go to 15 and not go below 15 the entire time I'm asleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct sir!  The "Auto Ramp" tries to determine if your are asleep and will increase to the minimum set pressure if it thinks you are.   The AS10 will maintain the lowest set pressure it determines will address your current condition.  Additionally, if it determines that an increase in pressure is needed, it will increase the pressure until this condition is overcome, then return to a lower pressure.   My previous statements are very simplistic in nature and are to provide you with the general idea of its concept.  An Autoset's operation is much like a legal disclosure, there are a bunch of whereas's, otherwise's, and if's that I didn't list.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you download the free OSCAR program, you will find that the information is much easier to interpret, and you can then post a couple charts on the forum (see linkd in my signature on organizing and attaching OSCAR charts). It's one thing to know how to change settings, and completely another to leverage the knowledge here to do it strategically. It's even possible, you are experiencing a problem that will not need changes in pressure, but rather correction of head and neck alignment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure I understand now.  Sorry for the dumb questions.  I'm just new to this whole thing.  Let's say my minimum pressure is 15 and my maximum pressure is 20.  I have a start pressure of 10 with my ramp set to auto.  I understand that when my machine senses that I'm asleep it will shoot up to 15.  It will stay at 15 at the very least the whole time I'm asleep. The pressure could go up depending on what I need to control my apnea. Am I right so far?  Although, what if during my sleep the machine senses I don't need 15 because it's to high of a pressure. I won't be able to go lower because I have set my minimum pressure to 15. What then? Will that impact the quality of my sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you set Ramp at a pressure of 10 for (example) for 20minutes, then during that 20 minute ramp period, the pressure will rise slowly to the minimum pressure set (15).  The pressure can then go up and down according to what apnea events you experience, but will not drop below the minimum pressure set.

Who gave you the pressure range of 15 min - 20 max?  Was this a doctors setting or your own?

It's pretty hard to answer whether you actually need a minimum pressure of 15 without seeing some data.

Did you have a sleep study?  If you have a copy, post it here so we can take a look.

Also, download the OSCAR software if you can.  Be sure there is an SD card in your machine, so that you can post a screenshot of the OSCAR daily page here.  There are links in my signature line to guide you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Airsense 10 is very good at detecting flow limitation ahead of apnea and hypopnea events, so using a lower minimum pressure should be be no problem. There is so much you are not sharing with us. Your EPR setting, type of apnea, 95% pressure, etc. I don't know why you don't want our advise to be based on your data, but if that is your intent, you will just get our best guess...share the data and you will get concrete guidance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I use ResMed AirSense 10 autostart.
My AHI is 0.3 - to 0.6.
Minimal pressure 10 - maximum 13.2 - At a higher setting I have traces of bites on my tongue.
Ramp time off. I don't feel comfortable with little air at the start.
EPR on - easier exhalation.
Greetings from Germany
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,709 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,579 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,758 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 225 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,170 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.