Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need to try a FF mask...Which one to try?
Need to try a FF mask...Which one to try?
I am a new CPAP user and have been using the Mirage FX nasal mask since my beginning CPAP use on 11/27/13.

I have been having problems where I am waking myself up with mouth breathing even when using a chin strap. I get lip flutters.

So I am in my mask grace period and would like to try a FF mask.

What should I suggest the DME fit me with?

I am leaning toward the Quatro Air at this time due to what I have read about it.

I am sort of a hybrid stomach/side sleeper.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need to try a FF mask...Which one to try?
What chin straps have you tried? Also, make sure that you have the proper size of nasal mask. I had been given the wrong size ffm and when they finally switched me to the proper size cushion and headgear, it was better but not as good as the wisp has been for me.

I started on FFM and used them up until the end of November when the sleep lab manager brought 11 masks for me to try and provided me with a wisp nasal and a chin strap (deluxe ruby adjustable) and I have never slept better, leaks way under control, with a lot of other improvements along the way.

I tried the Quattro fx, Amara Gel, Mirage Quattro. None were working and I had big leaks that kept waking me up. It is so individual that it is hard to suggest what would work for you. I would suggest trying the newer ones that have come out as they are much improved over the older versions/masks. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,

I just got fit for the Quattro Air at the DME. I thought it was weird they did not ask for the original mask back nor did they have me sign anything.

Seems these mask are a big business for them and they must not have any problems getting paid from the insurance for them.

They said give it a whirl and if it does not work, call and they will let me try another one till I find one that works.

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2013, 12:38 PM)brantel Wrote: They said give it a whirl and if it does not work, call and they will let me try another one till I find one that works.

Dont-know
Hi brantel
Sound like a good DME. could you please tells us how you find the Quattro air in this review thread
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...uattro-Air
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, brantel, I have always used a FFM because I'm a mouth breather, I just changed a few weeks ago from the Mirage Quattro to the Quattro Air and find a few less leaks. With FFM there will always be more leaks vs pillows and nasal masks, if you can get the leaks under control you will be fine. Two tips, have the hose coming from above your head and use mask liners.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi brantel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Masks are so individual; don't be shy about trying as many masks 'till you find the right one that works for you.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2013, 01:09 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-10-2013, 12:38 PM)brantel Wrote: They said give it a whirl and if it does not work, call and they will let me try another one till I find one that works.

Dont-know
Hi brantel
Sound like a good DME. could you please tells us how you find the Quattro air in this review thread
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...uattro-Air
Welcome

You'll like the Quattro Air. It takes a bit of time to learn how to prevent leaks but it is a well designed comfortable mask. It is now my go to mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went through about 8 till I tried
the quattro FX. It worked well for me till I had eye problems and switched over to the FitLife.
Try as many as you can get!

Good luck!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Well yesterday the DME respiratory therapist sent me home with a large mask (she said she thought I would need a medium but they did not have any at that time). I tried it last night and loved the mask but it did end up being too long. It was either blowing in my eyes or out my chin area.

So she called me back today to see how it fit. I mentioned this and she said to come in and swap because today they got some mediums in. I sent my wife because I was unavailable.

Well my wife went there and they swapped it out.

Bad news is that I got home tonight, they swapped it alright....to a medium Quattro FX not a medium Quattro Air!

So do I open it and try it or just take it back tomorrow?

Nothing is never easy!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2013, 09:15 PM)brantel Wrote: Well yesterday the DME respiratory therapist sent me home with a large mask (she said she thought I would need a medium but they did not have any at that time). I tried it last night and loved the mask but it did end up being too long. It was either blowing in my eyes or out my chin area.

So she called me back today to see how it fit. I mentioned this and she said to come in and swap because today they got some mediums in. I sent my wife because I was unavailable.

Well my wife went there and they swapped it out.

Bad news is that I got home tonight, they swapped it alright....to a medium Quattro FX not a medium Quattro Air!

So do I open it and try it or just take it back tomorrow?

Nothing is never easy!

did your wife just have a cushion when she came back? If so, I don't think you can use the Quattro FX with the other head gear. You will probably have to use your nasal mask tonight. Sad huh?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,217 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,835 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,532 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.