Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Needing basic help to get started
Needing basic help to get started
Hi All
Please can someone tell me if it matters if I choose pillows or full face mask please?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Needing basic help to get started
Hi Linda Bee,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Choosing a mask is one of the harder things about therapy.

I personally like nasal pillows. The P10 mask is light weight, and very quiet. You hardly know your wearing a mask. But many others will tell you they hate nasal pillows and prefer full face.

I guess you won't know until you try both. The thing to consider is if you mouth breathe, the nasal pillows will be harder for you unless you can overcome that.

If your asking if it makes a difference in therapy or AHI results, it may, but would be a minor difference.
The important thing is comfort.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the pillows, and give them a shot. If they won't work for you it will be clear in a week or two.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks both.
I think I breathe through my mouth, but the mask slips in the night even though I have tightened it as far is as just about within comfort range.
This is why I'm wondering if pillows will help.
I've had this machine 2 weeks now and struggling with claustrophobia, waking up to strange sounds and the machine pic has the grim face, and obviously I'm still very tired.
I have been sent the smaller straps too.

I will try pillows. I'm Just not sure on the difference.
Does pillows mean it's ok to lay down on pillows?
I realise how ridiculous that sounds but it's unclear what it means by pillows and why that is different to full face.

Thanks xx
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows are a mask interface[ that rests on the bottom of the nose and directs pressurized air directly to the nares. It can overcome congestion, deviated septum and other obstructive problems, so you can breath through our nose, rather than your mouth. The drawback occurs if you cannot confine the positive pressure to your airway, and let it escape through your mouth. The tongue blocks the throat and rest along the roof of your mouth and against the soft palate to prevent this. If you cannot confine the pressure, a full face mask will be needed, but if you are able to use the nasal pillows, they will be the easiest interface to seal against leaks, and are lightweight. You can even talk. It's a good idea to try them first, because the fall-back is a full face.

[Image: ResMedNasalPillows-300x199.jpg]

Nasal pillows are a cushion that rests on the bottom of your nose, with 2-oblong holes that are for the airflow. The surface around those holes seals to the bottom of the nose. Do not confuse these with nasal prongs. Nothing is inserted into the nose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried all three types when I first started therapy. I couldn't get used to the bulk of the full-face mask and the way the air shot directly into or against my mouth. Most people like nasal pillows, and I tried those as well, but I couldn't get used to the pillows against my nose. It just felt "funny."

So I have been using a nasal mask for almost two years, and I've become accustomed to it very well. I've learned to keep my tongue pressed against the roof of my mouth so that air doesn't escape from my mouth and dry it out. For me, the nasal mask is the "goldilocks" solution, since it is very minimal, lightweight and yet works great.

If you can get used to a nasal pillow mask like the ResMed Airfit P10, that seems like a popular model. Masks are a very personal choice, so make sure you get the one that is right for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for excepting me into your group.
And thanks for replies so far. Xx
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Linda Bee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with finding a mask that you like, it is the hardest part of this therapy and sometimes it takes quite a few 'till you find the one that works for you.
I also wish you good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Linda Bee,
I like the AirFit P10. It took a while, a chin strap, a special contour pillow, and satin pillow case liner to make it all work. But, it does work.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 65 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,548 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 214 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 153 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 712 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 772 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 315 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.