Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Negative Sleep
Question 
Negative Sleep
Do you think that its possible to go to bed and wake up in the red?

What I mean by this is, could you go to sleep and wake up worse than when you went to bed in the first place. Instead of

8 Hours - Mask = 2 Hours sleep

YOU GET

6 Hours Sleep - mask = 0 Hours Sleep

Or Even

4 Hours Sleep - Mask = -2 Hours Sleep

As some days I dont have time to put my mask on I can wake up with a feeling of I would have been better of not going to bed at all as I feel worse now?

Is it possible to fall into the red and owe your body sleep after you have woken up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Negative Sleep
I won't say negative sleep, but a null sleep. I have layed down with my son to put him to bed and woke up hours later. I slept but I was not in the negetive sleep but it was not positive nor negative put just Null..

I can't think of a time when I did not have the 15-30 extra seconds to put on my mask before going to bed on purpose.
Someone once asked me how I adjusted to CPAP so well--I thought for a moment and said I had two choices CPAP or DEATH..The choice was easy..
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2012, 03:51 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: What I mean by this is, could you go to sleep and wake up worse than when you went to bed in the first place.

Definitely. I don't think we can quantify sleep debt in that way, though. It's not linear. That is, if you owe a sleep debt, you can't just pay it back with sleep. The sleep debt alters your body in such a way that part of the debt can never be repaid.

Quote:As some days I dont have time to put my mask on I can wake up with a feeling of I would have been better of not going to bed at all as I feel worse now?

When you do that you place a burden on your cardiovascular system that can't be repaid. It not only makes you feel like crap, lowering the quality of your life, it also lowers the quantity of life you have left.

I guess that's one way to think about your negative sleep debt. You end up paying it all back when you die early of a heart attack or stroke.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
problem is I dont feel crap if I dont where my mask I feel better than if I had my mask on as I get a deeper sleep. I think in the near future Im going to have to get another sleep study done as something is amiss
Post Reply Post Reply
Why don't you try sleeping with your machine set in CPAP mode at a pressure of 4? Then you can see what your AHI looks like.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 384 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,468 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  [Diagnosis] Symptomatic but Sleep Apnea Negative per WatchPat Ninjaa 10 1,042 05-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ninjaa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.