Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New AHI treatment goal ?
New AHI treatment goal ?
While returning a loaner machine today in exchange for my repaired S9 Autoset, I heard something surprising from the RT I've been dealing with at my DME. She told me that recently, the sleep center at the large community hospital informed her DME that from now on successful SA therapy is considered achieved when an AHI level below 10 (rather than the previous goal of 5) has been achieved. Patients with AHIs below 10 are asymptomatic, according to the hospital's sleep center.
Has anyone else heard this? I'm wondering if it's just this particular sleep center's new number, or if it's more widespread. I'm also wondering if this change was insurance driven, either by Medicare or private insurers.
Has there been some new research demonstrating that an AHI under 10 is good to go, when previously it was not. I doubt that.

David

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New AHI treatment goal ?
If my memory correct, I recall a French board member, said in France ... fewer than 10 events per hour is normal

As for me, I like my AHI to be below 1 or at most below 2, not 5 or 10

Edit: not sure, if he was talking about AHI or RDI

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 06:49 PM)Dawei Wrote: While returning a loaner machine today in exchange for my repaired S9 Autoset, I heard something surprising from the RT I've been dealing with at my DME. She told me that recently, the sleep center at the large community hospital informed her DME that from now on successful SA therapy is considered achieved when an AHI level below 10 (rather than the previous goal of 5) has been achieved. Patients with AHIs below 10 are asymptomatic, according to the hospital's sleep center.
Has anyone else heard this? I'm wondering if it's just this particular sleep center's new number, or if it's more widespread. I'm also wondering if this change was insurance driven, either by Medicare or private insurers.
Has there been some new research demonstrating that an AHI under 10 is good to go, when previously it was not. I doubt that.

David

10 is now the benchmark here.

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the replies, Zonk and TonyJ. Tony, were you implying that there was a previous benchmark in Canada? If so, was it <5?
Post Reply Post Reply
It varies by province. It is 5 in British Columbia. I feel much better with an AHI of < 3 than I did at < 10 earlier in the trial.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 07:47 PM)zonk Wrote: If my memory correct, I recall a French board member, said in France ... fewer than 10 events per hour is normal

As for me, I like my AHI to be below 1 or at most below 2, not 5 or 10

Edit: not sure, if he was talking about AHI or RDI

I'm with you. Who wants to stop breathing up to ten times an hour while asleep? It sounds like insurance companies are looking at dollars, instead of morbidity and mortality risk.
Oh-jeez
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2016, 08:20 AM)Inspired Wrote: I'm with you. Who wants to stop breathing up to ten times an hour while asleep? It sounds like insurance companies are looking at dollars, instead of morbidity and mortality risk.
Oh-jeez

It sounds like they may be looking only at morbidity and mortality risk, and not at quality of life. There may be little observable difference in health outcomes between AHI 5 and 10, even if most people feel better at or below 5. I guess this could stimulate the market for used machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 08:19 PM)Dawei Wrote: thanks for the replies, Zonk and TonyJ. Tony, were you implying that there was a previous benchmark in Canada? If so, was it <5?

Yes, when I first started CPAP 2 and a half years ago I was told it was 5. It was only in January while I was at the DME that I noticed a chart on the RT's office wall showing the CPAP minimum objective and it was now listed at 10. That is the standard in this Province and may be different in others as previously noted by a BC resident.
Post Reply Post Reply
10 is a scam to deny insurance coverage.

Actually, 5 is at least partially a scam to deny insurance coverage.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see many post here that seem very concerned about their AHI < some number. It is very interesting for me as my profile shows I had severe apnea ( SS AHI of 83) However, I never showed symptoms like daytime sleepiness, etc. With my AHI now < less than 2.0 for past 14 days I feel no different. I am committed to the long term because of the unseen long term health issues. Should One be fixated on AHI of 5 or 10 or how one feels every day?
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 38 9 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 274 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 194 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,986 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 579 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.