Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New APAP Purchase Woes
New APAP Purchase Woes
I'm a long time CPAP user with a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset that should be eligible for Medicare replacement this month.  I have a prescription.  The doctor gave me an at-home sleep test and lo and behold I still have apnea episodes without a machine.  That was somewhat of a surprise to me because with the APAP, my AHI was controlled to well under 1 with almost no episodes of apnea clusters.
Anyway my question relates to how do I get a new machine without having to deal with the backorder issues and delays.  Have been reading the board posts about the LUNA substitute for Resmed and PR machines.  I definitely want a Resmed and woluldn't mind getting either the Airsense 10 or Airsense 11.

What I have gleaned from the Board posts is that the DMEs put you on backorder but if you go to the supplier list you can get a machine right away.  I looked at Supplier #1 for example and it appear I can get either the Airsense 10 or 11 right away.  That means that I would be out of pocket on the Medicare reimbursement however.  My machine is 5 years old and I don't have any problems with it, but I don't want it to leave me high and dry if it fails unexpectedly while I am waiting for my DME to get me a new machine.  The price for the Airsense 10 looks pretty reasonable and I wouldn't have the worry about getting stuck in the waiting line.

My questions are:
1.  If I ask my doctor to write the prescription for Supplier #1, can I still get on the Medicare list for a second machine?
2.  Will my DME somehow object to this and stop my filters and hoses, and masks?
3.  Could someone explain why this crazy system works this way.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  I have been with my DME for such a long time that I have gotten used to their quirks and difficult customer service.  My sense that shopping around for a different DME would be futile.  Their local office for example doesn't even answer their phone.  I can't leave a message and the wait line always says the same thing--that they are very busy handling other customers but to stay on the line.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New APAP Purchase Woes
Can't help with your DME question. Good luck. I am glad for you that you were having good AHI numbers. I hope you felt rested.

I just want to comment on:

[...I'm a long time CPAP user with a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset that should be eligible for Medicare replacement this month. I have a prescription. The doctor gave me an at-home sleep test and lo and behold I still have apnea episodes without a machine. That was somewhat of a surprise to me because with the APAP, my AHI was controlled to well under 1 with almost no episodes of apnea clusters....]

I explain CPAP treatment like glasses. You can see much better with your glasses, why would you be surprised when you take them off that you still need glasses to see better etc. I use the analogy with some meds as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup.  If you are in something close to a stasis, and you alter a component in the current system (which our bodies and what we do for/to them is....a system), you can be assured that there will be a change in one or more parts of the system.  It may not be an improvement.  It is likely not to be an improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
January of 2022 I requested a new machine because my 7 year old AS10 says 'motor expired'. The DME sent a Luna II which sounded like a freight train in my bedroom. They sent a second one, same. So I returned both and had PCP write a prescription of RESMED. Well I'm finally getting it!! The DME is terrible. Wouldn't return voice messages. Cancelled the authorization with my insurance saying I needed to have tele health visit with PCP (after waiting for 6 months). Any way it's on its way. I had a sleep study in case the DME demanded one and learned of this site and OSCAR. BTW, my AS10 still works. Anyway, if your DME is responsive you should be able to get a new machine at no cost.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,515 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.