Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New APAP User
RE: New APAP User
Sorry I crossed platforms.  PR is limited to about 2cmw.

Flow Limitations and be thought of as part of a continuum,  Apnea, then Hypopnea, then Flow Limitations, then "normal".
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limitation is not a condition that is looked at often by  clinicians or doctors because it is not an important diagnostic for insurance, which targets actual apnea and hypopnea events. Flow limitation is important because it is actually airway restriction or obstruction that limits the peak flow through the airway. This makes it harder (more effort) to inhale and reduces the volume of air you respire (tidal volume). You can spot periods of flow limitation on your flow rate graph by looking at a zoomed image where you can see the individual respiratory waves. Where those waves change from normal rounded forms to ones that are flattened or downward sloping on top, that is what flow limitation looks like.  As the body experiences greater flow limtation it will respond by arousing you to a lighter stage of sleep or awakening you to breath better. This is a Respiratory Event Related Arousal (RERA) and it leads to unsatisfying sleep and continuing daytime fatigue.  

We have another member that has extreme flow limitation that shows this wave-form.  Here is an example of her charts that shows that respiratory flow rate (black wavy line with inspiration above the red line and expiration below), and how we are using pressure support (mask pressure is the blue line, and pressure support is the increase in pressure for each inspiration) to try to treat it.  Here is an example of her charts showing normal respiration going through a transition to extremely flow-limited.  It's unlikely you will ever see this in your charts, but the flat or downward sloping inspiration waves are flow limitation, and we can see recovery-breaths after about 10 breaths (RERA).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=18762]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With great deference and respect to our esteemed Sleeprider, he intended RERA to be translated as "Respiration EFFORT-Related Arousal."  Coffee

And, that's the whole point; with a flow restriction for whatever reason, it's harder to draw breath against it, and in some cases it leads to an arousal because of this intractable 'effort'.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll stick with what I said, however, I often say it the other way. Dont-know
Quote:Respiratory event–related arousal (RERA) is an event in which patients have a series of breaths with increasing respiratory effort or flattening of the nasal pressure waveform leading to an arousal from sleep that does not otherwise meet the criteria for an apnea or hypopnea.  

AAST https://www.aastweb.org/blog/what-are-re...usals-rera
Medscape https://www.medscape.com/answers/295807-...-apnea-osa 

Quote:Respiratory effort- related arousal (RERA)

It is a breathing disorder characterized by obstructive upper airway airflow reduction (which does not meet the criteria of apnea or hypopnea), associated with increased respiratory effort that resolves with the appearance of arousals (RERAs).

NIH https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2765300/
Medscape (again) https://www.medscape.com/answers/295807-...-apnea-osa
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I think looked good, but I do have a question. From 4:50 to about 5:30, my AHI jumped up a bit, but the pressure stayed at my min of 8. Why wouldn't the Auto function have bumped up the pressure to compensate, or am I not understanding how these machines work?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
most of the events that drove your AHI were central, your machine will not react to those and raise pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
You folks know this stuff by heart, but I read every reply and have more questions. So I looked up Central events, and that’s my brain forgetting to tell me to breath? That’s scary. And CPAP does nothing for that?
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips Respironics also calls CA events "clear airway", and at the level they occur in your therapy, they are insignificant. We often will hold a breath or not breath when we change position in bed, and sometimes the events occur during a sleep stage transition. Your respiration is maintained during sleep by your autonomic nervous system, and is "driven" by the balance of bicarbonate in your blood stream. When CO2 rises, it increases bicarbonate, and triggers faster or deeper respiration. During long apnea, it can also trigger adrenaline release and result in arousal to cause you to breathe. On the other hand, when CO2 levels drop, the respiratory drive also is reduced. This can cause you to skip a breath without any obstructive cause or distress. The body re-balances quickly and you resume normal spontaneous respiration. This is harmless, and your CPAP machine is programmed not to respond to it. Your CPAP machine is able to determine if an apnea is obstructive or clear, by testing the airway with a 1-cm pulse of air. If it is obstructive, the pressure will increase on the next breath; if it is clear airway there is no pressure change. You can see the pressure pulses on your chart on top of the flow-rate chart as black vertical lines. If you zoom into a close view of that pulse, you can see the breathing pause and the response or deflection of your airway during the pressure pulse.

This is nothing to be concerned about, and if you had frequent CA we would be the first to suggest changes to your therapy approach to mitigate it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the clarification.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi drwooder,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds like you are off to a great start.
Good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy, and have a nice trip.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,149 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 587 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.