Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New APAP old S9 sick
New APAP old S9 sick
I am heading for my favorite DME (Apria) Wednesday to replace my malfunctioning Resmed S9 Autoset. I have requested and S9 autoset replacement.
If they try to convince me to take a PRS1, how hard do I need to fight to get the S9?

I have spent 2 days on the phone with my primary doctors medical group, my insurance company, and the DME. Confirmed DME has the approval but they still have to process the order before they will set an appointment for me to pick up the machine. I did specify the S9 when I spoke to DME, but they don't always seem to be listening to details.

Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New APAP old S9 sick
Best of luck to you~! Personally, it was a sad day when they bought out the DME I was using - not that they were all that great either, actually.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 09:21 PM)bwexler Wrote: I am heading for my favorite DME (Apria) Wednesday to replace my malfunctioning Resmed S9 Autoset. I have requested and S9 autoset replacement.
If they try to convince me to take a PRS1, how hard do I need to fight to get the S9?

I have spent 2 days on the phone with my primary doctors medical group, my insurance company, and the DME. Confirmed DME has the approval but they still have to process the order before they will set an appointment for me to pick up the machine. I did specify the S9 when I spoke to DME, but they don't always seem to be listening to details.

Oh-jeez
I wish you the best with them. They are the one DME in my area that only has masks on mannequin heads but not that you can try on.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you switch to a PRS1, you'll probably have to buy a new humidifier out of pocket. Any humidifier tanks or filters you have won't work with the new machine.

PRS1 vs. S9 is roughly a tossup.

Be sure they don't trick you with a non-auto or a brick.

S9 has a heated hose option. Only the 60 series PRS1 machines have this option, and then only if you have the version of the humidifier that works with heated hoses.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 09:21 PM)bwexler Wrote: I am heading for my favorite DME (Apria) Wednesday to replace my malfunctioning Resmed S9 Autoset. I have requested and S9 autoset replacement.

Oh-jeez

Get a prescription from your doctor that specifies the S9 Auto Set so they don't argue with you IF that is what you want. Also, ask the doctor to include the heated hose on the prescription. IF your current machine is under warranty, they should replace it with the same machine.

Apria also requires a credit or debit card before you get your machine. They tried to tell me that when I was in their office to pick up my machine. I was never told that before my appointment and they went back and listened to the phone call and because I wasn't told, they let me have my machine without a credit or debit card.
At least that is what they do here.

And, the rules are different depending on who you speak with. I finally had them come out and bring a modem so they can get the information when they want/need it so I don't have to drive 20 miles for them to get the data. I don't mail my SD card in to them because then I can't monitor my data. I will take my SD card out of the machine so they don't erase the data.

They also charged my insurance company for a mask that I never received and when I told them that, they said they called the company that sent me the mask and they couldn't verify whether they had it back or not b/c of the volume of supplies in and out. I then called billing and told them what was going on and they called the company that mailed me the mask and was told that they had received it back so now they are sending the money back to my insurance company. I also notified my insurance company.

If I were you, I would call Resmed and confirm that you are getting the S9 auto set by giving them the serial number and they will tell you when the unit was built and ask them if it has the most current software.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the answers, things can change very quickly.
My plan was to get the new machine last Wednesday and take it to my new sleep doctor appointment. Well Apria could not get one in time. So I saw the sleep doc and he looked at my Sleepyhead printout and said I need a new sleep lab titration study and I will probably need an ASV machine because of central apnea events.
I actually called Apria and thanked them for being so slow and told them to wait for new instructions.
New sleep study set for Tuesday night.

The saga continues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2013, 11:04 AM)bwexler Wrote: Thanks for all the answers, things can change very quickly.
My plan was to get the new machine last Wednesday and take it to my new sleep doctor appointment. Well Apria could not get one in time. So I saw the sleep doc and he looked at my Sleepyhead printout and said I need a new sleep lab titration study and I will probably need an ASV machine because of central apnea events.
I actually called Apria and thanked them for being so slow and told them to wait for new instructions.
New sleep study set for Tuesday night.

The saga continues.

sounds like my experience when I went to the doc that ordered a new sleep study and said that I might need a BIPAP. Since the tech did not follow the docs instructions, my sleep study was useless. And, I slept most of the weekend as I felt like crapola when I got home from that sleep study. Had a headache most of Saturday and Sunday. I am under the impression it is b/c I was only given 16 as my pressure setting (which the tech was instructed to put me on BIPAP to see what happened at that point but did not do that) when 95% of the time I am at 19.9%.

My doctor told me that I should use the data from the manufacturer software and I said to him that it was the same as SH (my primary doc sent the SH data I gave them b/c I figured it was easier for her to understand).

So, I am waiting on a call from both my doc and the sleep center director.

Not a happy camper right now b/c it is my health on the line as with all of us!!

Glad you are being proactive in your health!! Great job!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck Me50. It sounds like to need to spend more time on the phone each day until all the players fall in line.
I just called the sleep lab to verify everything, glad I did.
They had me scheduled for a standard split night basic sleep study. When I pointed out what I was supposed to get, a titration study for complex apnea, I was put on hold while she checked what was happening. I was originally scheduled for their location 20 miles closer to my home (which I will pass on the way to the other location) but they had an earlier opening available at the more distant location.
It turns out that the close location is not even qualified or equipped to do the titration study.
Some one up there is watching over me this month, causing all sorts of snafus to keep me going the right direction.
Going in to see my primary doc today. I will probably tell him to go ahead and get the ASV machine approved even before the sleep study report, since it can function in apap mode anyway.
That will give me a few extra days to debate the crazy pricing at my DME. Apria claims the price on the PRS ASV machine is $12,000 when Supplier #1 offers the same machine for $3,000.

I will be glad when we can settle back into normal craziness and put this behind us.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2013, 02:00 PM)bwexler Wrote: Good luck Me50. It sounds like to need to spend more time on the phone each day until all the players fall in line.
I just called the sleep lab to verify everything, glad I did.
They had me scheduled for a standard split night basic sleep study. When I pointed out what I was supposed to get, a titration study for complex apnea, I was put on hold while she checked what was happening. I was originally scheduled for their location 20 miles closer to my home (which I will pass on the way to the other location) but they had an earlier opening available at the more distant location.
It turns out that the close location is not even qualified or equipped to do the titration study.
Some one up there is watching over me this month, causing all sorts of snafus to keep me going the right direction.
Going in to see my primary doc today. I will probably tell him to go ahead and get the ASV machine approved even before the sleep study report, since it can function in apap mode anyway.
That will give me a few extra days to debate the crazy pricing at my DME. Apria claims the price on the PRS ASV machine is $12,000 when Supplier #1 offers the same machine for $3,000.

I will be glad when we can settle back into normal craziness and put this behind us.

Me too!! Please let us know how your sleep study goes!! I cannot believe the $12,000 price (that is almost the price of a new car!) and I can't believe any insurance company would pay that price!

I am proud of you for doing your follow-up or things might have been for you as they were for me!! I still cannot figure out why I slept most of Saturday and Sunday other than my pressure setting was too low. I had a headache all weekend and I have not had one before the sleep study!

I was told that the doctor ordered a BIPAP if my pressure was greater than 16 and the tech stopped at 16. I will see what the data plot says when they finish the 2nd sleep study report and go from there (that is if they give it to me). I have asked for that on my first study and still don't have it. I am concerned for my health b/c I am at 19.9 95% of the time on my auto set and they are saying that is b/c of leaks which I doubt I have that high of leaks every day to make my pressure that high! I hate being pushy and I shouldn't have to be and neither should any of us but it is good when we question, follow-up, etc.

You would have been all ready for your sleep study only to find out that where you were scheduled couldn't do the study you needed done.
Post Reply Post Reply
And the other shoe drops. Walked into my doctors office for my regular visit.
His first question "Why didid they cancel your sleep study?"
So I call the sleep lab, after 20 minutes of busy signal I get to a person and ask what happened.
Because the first location could not do the titration and the nurse at the docs office did not know I had changed to the location that could do it, the nurse told the lab just cancel it all.

I have now got everything back in motion and all set to go tomorrow but if I hadn't followed up my self I would have been turned away at the door.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 88 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 439 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,424 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,151 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.