Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New APAP user, help?
Smile 
New APAP user, help?
Hey everyone, I hope you are all doing well.

I have just had my first night with my APAP machine  ( F&P Sleepstyle) and have a few questions.

1. My mask seems to be losing air pressure  ( it's the dreamwear full face one) just below where the breathing tubes meets the top of the mask is this normal? I thought perhaps it could be ventilation?

2. Everytime I fell asleep I kept waking up very quickly. Is this normal at first? It kinda felt like I couldn't breathe. I had to stop using the mask eventually as I wasn't getting any sleep.

3. I'm using the sleepstyle app but the AHI seems very inaccurate. It was saying it was 18 but I hadn't even been to sleep? Is there any better sleep tracking  software I can use? 

Thanks for all your help.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New APAP user, help?
Welcome to the board!

1.  You are correct that the air coming out of the top of your mask is ventilation, and nothing to worry about.

2.  It's normal to have a period of adjustment, and sometimes to sleep poorly when new to using a pap machine.  Given time, your body and mind will adjust to having this foreign object on your face blowing air up your nose.

3.  OSCAR is the best way to track your pap use.  It gives much information that the experts here can interpret for you.  There are instructions in the information at the top of the forum page for downloading and using OSCAR.

Best of luck with your new journey to better health!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dardpunchedstar,

The F&P SleepStyle is not currently supported by OSCAR.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php....26_Paykel
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's not a lot I can suggest without any data etc, but two things come to mind.

1) I don't know if you can do so, but often if people are feeling like they're not getting enough air, then they need to have the minimum pressure raised. If you aren't able to alter that yourself, you might need to ask to have it raised.

2) All machines can mark apneas while you're awake - it doesn't know for sure when/if you are sleeping so it always scores them, even if they're normal pauses in breathing that you do when awake. That is especially true around the time where you're starting to fall asleep and your body is swapping from awake breathing control to asleep breathing control.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your help ?

Apparently I can't get OSCAR with my machine - I can only use the sleepstyle app?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Rainbow 
APAP and feeling like I'm suffocating
Hey everyone.

I've had three nights with the APAP machine now and whilst I am managing to fall asleep eventually, I keep waking up within about a minute and feel like I can't breathe. 

I feel like the pressure could be the reason for this. It seems to increase a lot as I fall asleep and this shift causes me to wake up in panic? 

Are there any settings I can change? 

Thanks!
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
A word about AHI.  This is an average number of events reported on a per hour of use basis.  If you only used the CPAP for 30 minutes and had 9 reported events, then your AHI would be listed as 18.  Likewise, if you used the CPAP for 8 hours and had a total of 8 events, then your AHI would be 1.  CPAP's can not ascertain if you are awake or asleep, they only look at the flow patterns for analysis.

Edit: I see you have 2 different thread pertaining to the same topic. For continuity, we prefer that a member keep their posts in one thread, unless it is a totally different subject. For this reason, I have merged your 2 threads.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So you feel like it's hard to breathe out against the air? Or you feel like you're just not getting enough air?

It's very normal for it to feel like a struggle at first, because of how new and invasive it all is, and that does tend to improve with continued use. You don't list what your pressure settings are, so I can't tell you if they're too high or too low. It sounds like you may have ramp (or something similar on) that reduces the pressure while it thinks you are awake and then boosts it once asleep.

You might want to go up to the black bar at the top of the forum and click "CPAP setup manuals" and find the instructions for your machine as well as check how to get into the clinical menu. There's a link to the instructions and a video to show the process under the "Setup Instructions for common CPAP Machines" link. Once you know how to do that, write down your settings and come back to us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. The pressure range seems to be 4-20cm H2O. It usually is 3-5 when I'm awake. I've found a video on how to change the settings. 

It feels like I'm suffocating on air if you get what I mean? 
The problem might be that my mouth is opening just after falling asleep and that causes the sensation of pressure. It's really disorienting at the time so hard to remember many details

I have ramp off and EPR on 2/3
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
4-20 for lots of these PAPs is default, meaning no edits were done to make it your personal therapy. I think you may want to try moving 4 to 6. See if it feels more comfortable. Report back how it felt. We can suggest another change if it didn't help enough or if it is too much.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,220 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 144 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 222 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 912 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 644 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 134 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.