Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having a lot of difficulty
RE: Having a lot of difficulty
I went my medical records at the military hospital and asked for the detailed sleep study.  Filled out paperwork, they said they'd release it to me digitally.

Email comes in later - same summaries I already have.

Here's last night.  I reduced overall pressure and took EPR to 1.  Still a mountain of centrals.

I did find a chart in the second (titration study) that I posted.  Not nearly the details of OSCAR but maybe will provide insight to someone knowledgeable.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll wait to hear about the event count and type fun the report. Your CA are still around in abundance.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried to pull my records from the military records office, but after several attempts, it keeps coming back to that all that's in my record is what I was able to post.  Either they don't know how to access the details, or the summary records that I have are all that remains.

I managed to get in touch with my Sleep Doc for some teleconsult.  According to my sleep studies (and the Doc appears to be looking at the same summary I have), there's no record of centrals.  Regardless, the data from the machine is pretty clear, so I'm being lined up for an ASV titration.

In general, is ASV the same, harder, or easier to tolerate than CPAP?

Just for fun, here's last night before I woke up and took off the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your original study said that most events were hypopneas. Hypopneas can be central or obstructive, so conceivably many of your were central. Was your elevation above sea level during the test and during treatment about the same? Have you recently started any new medications?

It's terrific your doctor has responded by offering titration for ASV. But in the meantime, there's an experiment you could try.

Your pressures are apparently being driven up by flow limitations, and higher pressures can trigger CAs. Try setting min = max = 7, with no EPR, and see how that goes. Next time you post a chart, do show the FL graph. (You can squeeze graphs into a single screen shot by grabbing the gray bars that separate them and pushing up.)
Post Reply Post Reply
The ASV is unique, so very different than CPAP, APAP. With the trainwreck shown above, it would be worth it to give it your best shot, IMO. It's gotta be better than this mess. You will want ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, no other at all.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got the results of my third sleep study.

Tech was very knowledgeable and talked more in detail than I had with my previous two sleep studies.

Results posted - to me, it looks like I had a much longer stretch of REM sleep when it was in ASV.  I definitely didn't walk out of there feeling like death like I had at the previous two.

Still seems like a lot of arousals?  Not sure what's normal.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2021, 03:09 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Was your elevation above sea level during the test and during treatment about the same?  Have you recently started any new medications?

Your pressures are apparently being driven up by flow limitations, and higher pressures can trigger CAs.  Try setting min = max = 7, with no EPR, and see how that goes.  Next time you post a chart, do show the FL graph.  (You can squeeze graphs into a single screen shot by grabbing the gray bars that separate them and pushing up.)

Test was at sea level, along with all usage.  Started Sonata 5mg very recently but no other changes.

Some screenshots of last night.      

Had a nap earlier in the day, and then went to bed that night trying out a Resmed Quattro, pressure at 11.

Later than night, swapped back to a hybrid mask and changed pressure to 8.      

Haven't felt very rested today despite getting in bed pretty early.  Starting to think I need to just take a break.

Hopefully I've captured everything you're looking for in the screenshots.
Post Reply Post Reply
Latest.

Do the tidal volume/minute vent graphs tell us anything? Not sure how to interpret them but they obviously correlate with flagged events.

Still waiting on an ASV.  Trying to see if there's anything to do in the meantime.

Post Reply Post Reply
Almost time for my next appointment, but had an interesting development.

Diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I think this is very likely related to the shortness of breath that I get laying down that's absolutely aggravated when wearing CPAP, and one of the big issues I've had with compliance (CAs notwithstanding).

Anyone dealt with CPAP while having a hiatal hernia? Any tips?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I've had a hiatal hernia, addressed with surgery when I had the bariatric sleeve surgery in 2016. The hernia has returned though.

Myself, I was able to use ASV while with the hernia. I don't recall making any special accommodations with the combo. Then again it could be that I was just happy to have controlled the very high centrals and was sleeping better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,156 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 1,007 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  [Treatment] Difficulty with TECSA and Hypopneas jjl468 7 1,075 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: jjl468
  anyone else have difficulty clearing throat? martyedb 10 1,532 04-29-2022, 03:50 AM
Last Post: Mso43
  Having a lot of difficulty falling asleep. 17WRX 14 2,735 07-20-2021, 10:20 AM
Last Post: factor
  Difficulty with f30 mask yankees123 25 5,582 11-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  Difficulty breathing after taking mask off in morning. Randarino 25 3,289 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Randarino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.