Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation BiPAP AVAPS Noninvasive ventilator question?
RE: DreamStation BiPAP AVAPS Noninvasive ventilator question?
The ASV is not an appropriate machine for someone with hypoventilation though. ASV is designed to maintain "normal ventilation" and prevent hyperventilation.

Hypoventilation is when you are being underventilated, hence you want to use a machine that increases ventilation while you sleep, because what is "normal" for you while sleeping is inadequate. If you hypoventilate, you retain CO2, so you need bi-level or bi-level with AVAPS to help blow it off.

https://www.aastweb.org/blog/what-is-asv

Quote:ASV is NOT for the following types of patients:
  • Those who have chronic and profound hypoventilation.
  • Those who have moderate to severe chronic obstructive lung disease.
  • Those who have chronically elevated partial pressure of carbon dioxide on ABG (arterial blood gas) (> 45 mm Hg).
  • Those who have restrictive thoracic or neuromuscular disease.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2018, 09:28 AM)Matt00926 Wrote: The ASV is not an appropriate machine for someone with hypoventilation though. ASV is designed to maintain "normal ventilation" and prevent hyperventilation.

Hypoventilation is when you are being underventilated, hence you want to use a machine that increases ventilation while you sleep, because what is "normal" for you while sleeping is inadequate. If you hypoventilate, you retain CO2, so you need bi-level or bi-level with AVAPS to help blow it off.

https://www.aastweb.org/blog/what-is-asv

Quote:ASV is NOT for the following types of patients:
  • Those who have chronic and profound hypoventilation.
  • Those who have moderate to severe chronic obstructive lung disease.
  • Those who have chronically elevated partial pressure of carbon dioxide on ABG (arterial blood gas) (> 45 mm Hg).
  • Those who have restrictive thoracic or neuromuscular disease.

I'm not disputing the above statements, just pointing out odd Dave-ism. Crazy

I must love proving how odd of a case I am. I have the ASV and moderate to severe COPD. COPD is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, so the highlighted area above should indicate I should not have ASV I guess. I am not giving mine up; my ASV and I play well together.

I guess Dave is an odd case. Maybe he evens out later, but I am not sure. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome that the ASV is doing wonders for you! I assume like everything, there are always exceptions to the rule. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, and yes, I agree. It seems like it's overwhelmingly likely I am the exception.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 201 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 373 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 15,028 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  bipap Innisfree 2 454 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,028 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Cuirass Ventilator Perchance2Dream 4 476 09-22-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 749 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.