Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rhythmical Spikes in pressure?
RE: Rhythmical Spikes in pressure?
(07-04-2015, 10:09 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: just keep in mind - these routine blips are a sign of things being good. the pressure change is gradual and not even 2 cm. looking carefully, it is 1.5 cm.

see post http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid101641

It is important to note - the study uses a signal generator to mimic normal and then flow limited breathing. It clearly shows that the algorithm bumps up pressure periodically even when no flow limitations occur.

QAL

Agree, when looking at my graphs, they are always at 1.5 cm, and only seem to occur when nothing else is going on....like no flow limitations, no apneas. Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 09:39 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Huh. I found the pressure going up and down so quickly was not helping me (I have a Respironics loaner). It got so bad that I finally changed from auto-pressure to straight pressure at 11.

Strange you would notice more abrupt pressure change of the loaner compared to the ResMed. Respironics automatic pressure adjustments are so much slower, and return to lower pressure so much sooner than ResMed.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 02:21 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:
(07-06-2015, 09:39 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Huh. I found the pressure going up and down so quickly was not helping me (I have a Respironics loaner). It got so bad that I finally changed from auto-pressure to straight pressure at 11.

Strange you would notice more abrupt pressure change of the loaner compared to the ResMed. Respironics automatic pressure adjustments are so much slower, and return to lower pressure so much sooner than ResMed.

QAL

I'm sure that machine response is dependent on individual respiration characteristics but my experience with the AirCurve is that the rate of change of pressure is proportional to the severity of the flow limit. There are no pressure changes above the minimum setting unless a flow limit crosses a lower threshold. Therefore as long as I am breathing smoothly the PAP is level. Most of my limits are low, within the low symbol region and the pressure rise for them is much slower than the Respironics data shown in this thread and the total rise is less than 1cmH2O. When a flow limit gets into the third symbol region where the flow waveform is significantly degraded the pressure rise slope is much steeper, more so than the periodic Respironics spikes. Also the total rise is 1cm or more. At the point my breathing is this disturbed I doubt I would be further bothered by the steeper pressure adjustment.
I see this as a more straightforward way of addressing the flow problem, especially my flow problems which are not as severe as some others. I don't need a periodic pressure pulsing when I am breathing smoothly and suspect it would disrupt my sleep.
Also my experience with unnecessarily complex algorithms is that they are prone to errors and unexpected consequences.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 02:21 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:

QAL

I'm thinking that the return to lower pressure too fast is perhaps what was causing me to wake up - I had more events and they always followed a pressure spike. Multiples of them woke me.

I'm envious of Ailu. We have the same machine and she's already doing better. Smile I would play with mine a bit more, but since I should be getting my replacement machine this week, I'll just stick with what I got. But, I have to say, looking at my results and Ailu's chart helps me to understand how these machines work. I'm just glad things are working out great for her!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 05:41 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I'm thinking that the return to lower pressure too fast is perhaps what was causing me to wake up - I had more events and they always followed a pressure spike. Multiples of them woke me.

I suppose it's possible, but the pressure change from inhale to exhale is generally 1-3 cmH2O for anyone using flex or EPR, and my BiPAP has a minimum pressure change of 5 for each breath cycle. The so called pressure spike in auto is 1.5 cm over several minutes and many breaths. it's not a spike at all. It looks like this up close:

[Image: 5jUMG9X.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
here are two examples showing the comparison between the gradual "test" bump of the respironics and the normal 1.0 cmH2O step that occurs when 2 snores, 2 FL, or one apnea are detected.

The original poster experienced (and asked about) this bump [test bump]:
[Image: hrXAgt5.png]

While you were probably served up a (more abrupt) bump like this [based on apneic issues]:
[Image: EE39DyH.png]

You were probably repulsed by many individual steps, together, such as this, changing from 5.0 to 10.0 in 12 minutes *:
[Image: 1iMryH9.png]

But, looking at this next slide indicates to me that the S8 vaulted the pressure from 4.0 to 16.0 cmH2O in about 6 minutes [2 times faster and 2 times higher] **:
[Image: JJztpGP.jpg]

At any rate, I found neither disruptive, and YMMV (your mileage may vary).

What I found was disruptive was the AFlex at any level 1, 2 or 3. Setting my AFlex off means my inhale pressure is the same as my exhale pressure. I find it comforting.

QAL

* - interestingly my RERAs were before the machine pumped up my pressure. There is no evidence that I was aroused by the big bump.

** - The Airsense 10 Autoset for Her may actually not vault the pressure up as fast. That is one of the actions I think they worked to change.

Post Reply Post Reply
QAL, thanks for the data.
Very interesting! The overlay slide must be a joke. (I've seen it before, what is the origin?) If someone goes to sleep at level 4, the jump to 16-18 could blow their pillows out Smile I hope to not sense any of that happening. Of course when your breathing is already struggling, maybe any port in a storm will do.
Thankfully, I don't see anything even close to that in my ResMed data.
Post Reply Post Reply
The plot I posted came from !http://www.rtmagazine.com/2009/08/auto-adjusting-positive-airway-pressure/

There were other plots included. This one was only for flow limitation. I note there is a different looking plot for how they all responded to apnea, and another for hypopnea. All units responded about the same for apnea.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2015, 08:20 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: The plot I posted came from !http://www.rtmagazine.com/2009/08/auto-adjusting-positive-airway-pressure/

There were other plots included. This one was only for flow limitation. I note there is a different looking plot for how they all responded to apnea, and another for hypopnea. All units responded about the same for apnea.

QAL

Thanks for the link. This is an interesting article, although historical since it was written in 2009 regarding machine testing that was done several years earlier. However, the points that it makes about the clinical interpretation of the different algorithms used by different manufacturers is in line with the current complaints I read on this forum. The sleep medicine industry (including both manufacturers and medical professionals) is still not facilitating good decision making and follow up on the part of Doctors and DME with respect to the characteristics of the various PAP machines and the needs of individual patients.
The data in the slides is surely obsolete now so proliferating it is only marginally useful to investigating today's algorithms. And when used it should be noted that the data is circa 2006. Maybe there is a current version of this information. This thread has piqued my interest and I will be on the lookout.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Fairly consistent pulse rate spikes every night shyrwall 4 327 01-12-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: shyrwall
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,108 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Many Awakenings with Heart Rate Spikes jr991 3 497 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jr991

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.