Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Airsense 10 autoset
RE: New Airsense 10 autoset
I'll second Vaughn's recommendation to tell your doctor you have been on BiPAP and what your long-term settings have been. The auto simply can't produce the same feel, and if that is important to your comfort and continuing treatment, do this sooner than later. I use a BiPAP auto and only use a pressure support of 4.5 to 7.0. It mostly stays at the lower end of that range. It's a lot different from an auto CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 08:27 PM)star searcher Wrote: I downloaded, extracted, and attempted to start sleepyhead but it says xyz.dll is missing. The sleepyhead site says to click on the link under "missing dll files". Download visual C.

I did so and now find myself with a choice of one two or all three files:
First checkbox selects all three files.

Or each individual file can be selected

vcredist_arm.exe 1.4mb

vcredist_x64.exe 6.9mb

vcredist_x86.exe 6.2mb

My system is win7 64bit. Do I want all three of these or only x64 and arm?

Thanks

You need the one with X64 in it.

(04-03-2015, 07:34 PM)star searcher Wrote: If I understand you correctly, the data my doctor would need to verify the effectiveness of the therapy is actually on the SD card only?

The wireless data will give the doctor a lot of info. If you feel OK, and the wireless data looks good, you're in good shape. If there are some problems, he can make some pretty good adjustments based on the wireless data. He can probably fix most of the problems with the wireless data . If he can't figure it out with the wireless data, the SD card gives a lot more data. Most doctors don't even bother to really look at the level of detail the wireless data provides.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 09:21 PM)vsheline Wrote: I recommend you really should ask your doctor to change your prescription to a PRS1 BiPAP Auto or a ResMed AirCurve 10 Auto,
Take care,
--- Vaughn
Yes I will ask him about it as your explanation makes good sense.

I wish I would have paid more attention to this when my doctor wrote up the prescription but he just waved his arms around said the machine does everything automatically and don't worry about it.

I had a real uneasy feeling after my discussion with the DME person and being issued the airsense autoset. The DME expressed surprise at me not being prescribed a bilevel, and after learning who my doctor was made some other comments that were not confidence inspiring.

Anyway, I will see if I can get this airsense running and at least try it out before contacting the doctor. Now is the time to get this sorted out if I do need to change machines.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 10:00 PM)star searcher Wrote: Anyway, I will see if I can get this airsense running and at least try it out before contacting the doctor.

I suggest not using the AirSense 10 AutoSet any longer.

Since it should be returned, perhaps the fewer hours you put on it, the better.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 05:23 PM)star searcher Wrote: The machine will turn on but the pressure just sits there and stays at 4.

Hi star searcher,

The DME mistakenly (or misguidedly) set the Ramp time to Auto. When Ramp time is set to Auto the pressure stays at its start pressure (4 in your case, contrary to what the doctor prescribed) until your breathing pattern has the appearance of someone who has fallen asleep, and then the pressure starts ramping up. (If the machine never detects you have fallen asleep, after a while the machine in Auto Ramp mode will give up and will start ramping the pressure anyway, so that normal therapy pressure is reached within 30 minutes.)

If you want to use a Ramp, set the ramp Start Pressure much closer to the therapy pressure you are accustomed to, like 8 or 9 or 10.

But, as I posted earlier, it may be best to return the AutoSet without putting any more hours on it.

But be sure to let the DME know that he messed up in setting the ramp Start Pressure unbearably low.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 12:20 AM)vsheline Wrote: If you want to use a Ramp, set the ramp Start Pressure much closer to the therapy pressure you are accustomed to, like 8 or 9 or 10.

But, as I posted earlier, it may be best to return the AutoSet without putting any more hours on it.

But be sure to let the DME know that he messed up in setting the ramp Start Pressure unbearably low.
Take care,
--- Vaughn
I had some time to play with it some more this afternoon and turned the ramp off. That just made it sit there at 8 while I struggled to inhale.

I'm not entirely sure if the prescription is supposed to include the ramp setting or not. I should have obtained a printed copy of the prescription on the day he wrote it but I did not. I don't think a hard copy was even printed as I think they emailed it over to the DME.

I'll make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and see if I can get this straightened out.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you feel you're struggling for air at 8 cm, maybe try the next size larger nasal pillows?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 05:09 PM)star searcher Wrote: I had some time to play with it some more this afternoon and turned the ramp off. That just made it sit there at 8 while I struggled to inhale.

I'm not entirely sure if the prescription is supposed to include the ramp setting or not. I should have obtained a printed copy of the prescription on the day he wrote it but I did not. I don't think a hard copy was even printed as I think they emailed it over to the DME.

I'll make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and see if I can get this straightened out.

Ramp settings are usually left to the patient to adjust for comfort.

I suggest you request the doctor to prescribe either the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP Auto (get the "Heated Tube" model) or the ResMed AirCurve 10 Auto.

In my view, the PRS1 BiPAP Auto would be preferred, since it can be given a range for Pressure Support (the pressure difference between EPAP and IPAP) and very slowly (every few minutes) will vary PS slightly to see if PS needs to be raised in order to avoid Flow Limitation, or can be lowered. This helps adjust PS to no more than how much is needed for comfortable and effective therapy. This is in addition to the normal "Auto" functionality of adjusting EPAP and IPAP in order to avoid obstructive events.

The AirCurve 10 Auto also adjusts the EPAP and IPAP pressures automatically in order to avoid obstructve events, but Pressure Support remains fixed (manually adjusted).

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 05:09 PM)star searcher Wrote: I had some time to play with it some more this afternoon and turned the ramp off. That just made it sit there at 8 while I struggled to inhale.

Struggling to inhale or struggling to exhale? Ramp lowers the pressure, not raises it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 11:56 PM)archangle Wrote: Struggling to inhale or struggling to exhale? Ramp lowers the pressure, not raises it.
Inhale. With the ramp on, the machine idles at 4, ramp off it's at 8 which is the low end of the prescribed range.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 834 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 165 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 210 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 642 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.