Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New And Throwing in the Towel
Sad 
New And Throwing in the Towel
I'm new to this cpap/apnea abatement routine, and I am throwing in the towel. I can't stand the machine in my room at night, I am throwing the mask off constantly, and this and the stress is losing sleep instead of improving it.

I've been at this for two weeks now, and really can't see anything but an unconscious fight in the near future.

I wanted this to succeed, but I'm thinking all the extra stress is just not worth it.

I'm sending the machine (PR1) back on Monday, and giving up if things don't improve by then.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New And Throwing in the Towel
I understand how frustrating this is, but please think about the future. What will your life be like without CPAP therapy? You will continue to lead a sleep-deprived life and have all the problems that come with that. And as time goes by it'll get worse. Let's not even think about the increased chance of a heart attack or stroke.

Before you quit, think about trying some strategies to get yourself acclimated to the mask. You can wear it while watching TV, relaxing, reading, or listening to music. This will help you get used to it and make it easiier to wear while sleeping.

The first two months of life with my CPAP machine were awful. I was getting less sleep, not more. But gradually things did improve, and are still improving. I cannot imagine going back to that awful life I had before I started CPAP therapy. I was always tired, but got no relief from sleep. I had anxiety, terrible headaches, and high blood pressure. Now the anxiety is gone and my blood pressure is normal. I'm still working on the headaches, but they're not anywhere near as bad as they used to be. I've suffered with headaches for thirty years.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the encouragement. I was mostly venting, but if things don't start improving soon, I will quit and happily face the circumstances.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Duckdog58, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm SORRY you are having such a rough time with your CPAP therapy but you've only been doing this for two weeks. CPAP therapy takes LOTS OF TIME AND PATIENCE. I just encourage you to keep trying. Maybe you could try a different mask as that is the hardest part of this and Sometimes it takes MANY different masks 'till you arive at the right one. Please do think about what Sleepster said. I know it is terribly frustrating and difficult right now for you but don't give up and hang tight for more suggestions, best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Send back the PR1 and get the S9 Auto, it runs a lot quieter than the PR1. The only problem is that the S9 costs about twice as much as the PR1 (at least from Supplier #1). You can read about my experiences with the PR1 at http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8640309/1/ and http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8648171/1/
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2012, 08:34 PM)PollCat Wrote: Send back the PR1 and get the S9 Auto, it runs a lot quieter than the PR1. The only problem is that the S9 costs about twice as much as the PR1 (at least from Supplier #1). You can read about my experiences with the PR1

Sadly, that is the ONLY machine my supplier carries. Might be a bit more complicated than that.

Post Reply Post Reply
There's some things to do about the noise. Put it in a bottom drawer of a dresser. Leave the door open, of course, to let the hose out and to allow for air circulation.

Make sure you are wearing a mask that fits your face. Masks are by far the most important thing about this.

If the light on the machine bothers you (I had a S7 that was like having a flashlight on all night), drape a towel over the top, but make sure the air intake is left clear. This might also help cut down on noise.

And what Sleepster said about sitting up during the day with the mask on is great advice. It gets you used to it, gets you used to the air, and let's you figure out problems before going to bed.

Quote:Thanks for the encouragement. I was mostly venting, but if things don't start improving soon, I will quit and happily face the circumstances.

There's been others come here and say nearly the same thing. Wanting to quit, to give up, to just not be bothered. I gave one of them some thought then responded. I think it applies to you, too.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...6#pid17786

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Duck (or Dog),

I've got to believe that you want to continue therapy or you wouldn't have come here.

PaulaO2 still has has my favorite post of all time. Summing up Paula's post in one sentence, "Stop breathing 70 times an hour, hurt your heart, liver, kidney, and brain until you die," paraphrased from a much more eloquent presentation.

Let us know more and maybe we can help with your problems. I really encourage you to keep trying! To drift to the melodramatic, sometimes people have responded to similar posts with "Tell us where to send flowers." We're not trying to be ***holes, just making a point.

I hope you keep trying!
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, Paula replied while I was drafting my reply. Ignore me and read what she has to say.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2012, 09:22 PM)jdireton Wrote: Duck (or Dog)

Put them together and call it Duckdog. Long story behind that username, and has carried me through 6 years of moderating, admin, and now owning two of my own automotive forums

Yes, I do want this to work, but it is just really frustrating. I'm going to try ramping, and have a different mask coming. Someday.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In Praise of a Dark Hand Towel Dennis of the NorthWet 5 4,176 11-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Last Post: tzk321
  Reading stats and "throwing away" some apnea Marnid2014 8 3,736 04-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Last Post: davek

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.