New Android Phone - finally took the plunge - suggestions for apps?
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

New Android Phone - finally took the plunge - suggestions for apps?
Well, I'm finally firmly into the 21st Century, folks..

Took the plunge and paid $99.99 for a Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rise Android smartphone this evening. Plan is at $45 per month with NO CONTRACT (a must for me), has "unlimited data" (capped at 2.5 GB, at which point the bandwidth is throttled to a lower speed), unlimited texting and 1200 minutes each month.

This is a low end Android that offers the 4.0 Operating System (called Ice Cream Sandwich). Phone comes with a 2 GB micro-SD card.

Does anyone have suggestions for "must-have" apps for my new "toy"??

I can see where this thing could become a HUGE time-waster... so I'd like to get apps that are going to be useful in everyday life.

Already learned about Waze, a GPS-type app that seems to be popular.... now I just have to figure out how to download and install apps. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-09-2012 12:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Extrospect Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4-15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: New Android Phone - finally took the plunge - suggestions for apps?
Your app preferences will depend a lot on your lifestyle. Off-hand, I'd recommend:
Amazon's Kindle application for eBooks,
Shazam or Soundhound for tagging songs,
Spotify for mobile radio or if you're a subscriber,
HBO Go if you're an HBO subscriber,
Amazon Appstore for free daily Apps,
Flixster for movie showtimes,
redbox for locating and browsing kiosks,
Google Goggles for augmented reality fun,
Yelp for restaurant and store reviews,
Google Reader for news feeds.

That should be a nice breadth!
10-09-2012 12:10 AM
b360155 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX & Quattro Air
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11.4

Other Comments: CMS50-D Plus Pulse Oximeter!

I currently have 101 apps installed on my Android phone. It just depends on what you're looking for.Smile

We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
10-09-2012 05:50 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(10-09-2012 12:10 AM)Extrospect Wrote:  Your app preferences will depend a lot on your lifestyle.

That should be a nice breadth!

Thanks Extrospect... good starting list. If it depends upon my lifestyle, I'm in trouble as I basically have no life. Bigwink

(10-09-2012 05:50 AM)b360155 Wrote:  I currently have 101 apps installed on my Android phone. It just depends on what you're looking for.Smile

Okay, thanks B36... figured out how to install apps; pretty simple. Now if I can figure out what's causing my battery life to be so poor. Might be just because I've been messing with stuff a lot last night and this morning. Heard that the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system is not-so-good for battery conservation. Hmm.. Thinking-about

I always used to make comments about how all these people I see out and about have their noses stuck into their smartphones all the time. Never could figure out why that was.... until last night when I got one for myself.

Still not convinced that the quality of life will be vastly improved by this contraption... at least not sure if it's worth all the time I'm spending figuring things out with it. But, then again, getting used to a new OS is always time-consuming, like when I switched to Ubuntu Linux on my desktop.

Cheers... got to go do some work in order to pay for this new phone. Cool

Coffee

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-09-2012 10:07 AM
b360155 Offline

Preferred Members-2

If you want to see what's using battery, a very good app that is free on the Play Store is "GSam Battery Monitor". It provides you with more data than you'll know what to do with but it's very informative. The #1 battery user is almost always your screen so you should keep it set at the lowest possible brightness level as possible, but still legible. Supposedly, putting it on "auto brightness" will also drain battery faster than if you manually adjust brightness. I use an app called "Brightness Profiles" to create different screen brightness profiles so you can easily switch from one level of brightness to another. Also, best not to leave Wifi or GPS toggled on if you're not actively using it as this will cause the phone to hunt for networks/signals which can drain the battery. I don't know anything about the Kyocera Rise. If it's a 4G LTE capable phone, 4G makes your phone snappier but it also uses battery quicker than 3G, so unless I have a real need for speed, I usually leave my phone set on 3G only. I have a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx and one of the main reasons I went with this phone was because it has a 3300 mAh battery and has much better battery life than any other Android phone currently. I can make it through a full day with moderate use and still have over 60% battery remaining when I go to bed. I'll go through my list of apps later and see if I can suggest a few other apps that you might like to try for starters. I love my Android phone!Amazing

10-09-2012 10:54 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Extrospect Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4-15

Other Comments:

Quote:Okay, thanks B36... figured out how to install apps; pretty simple. Now if I can figure out what's causing my battery life to be so poor. Might be just because I've been messing with stuff a lot last night and this morning. Heard that the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system is not-so-good for battery conservation. Hmm..

I can echo the advice on Wifi, GPS, and 4G usage. Turning those off when you're not using them should help out quite a bit. Though, the comments regarding ICS being a poor choice for battery usage aren't really accurate. The provider will often gift you with a number of junk applications that want to run all the time without actually being useful. If you're able to uninstall these or otherwise prevent them from running, that can also be good for your battery.

You might take a look at your Accounts & sync options in your Settings menu. This will allow you to manage which applications can use your data connection in the background.

If all else fails, there's an application called Juice Defender that seems fairly popular for conserving battery life. I didn't have much luck with it, but some swear by it.
10-09-2012 11:17 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Thanks so much to you both. Good info.

The more I get into my phone, the more I like the capabilities. I'll be going through the non-needed apps soon to perhaps reduce battery usage from any bloatware running in the background.

Thanks

[Image: kyocerarise-overview-large.png]

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-09-2012 04:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Duckdog58 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR1
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Before I moved over to the iPhone (which I find to be far superior, but that's just me) I had an app that would force apps to close without powering the phone off and on. Of course, since its been over a year I cannot remember what it was titled.
10-09-2012 06:09 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(10-09-2012 06:09 PM)Duckdog58 Wrote:  Before I moved over to the iPhone (which I find to be far superior, but that's just me) I had an app that would force apps to close without powering the phone off and on. Of course, since its been over a year I cannot remember what it was titled.

Thanks Duckdog - my Android has something that will allow me to quit an app without turning the phone off/on... but I'm pretty sure if the phone is turned off and back on, the app will start up again. Can't seem to find out how to prevent an app from automatic startup, however. Seems a lot of them run processes in the background that take up processing time and bandwidth for some reason.

I went with an Android on price alone... the iPhones are a bit out of my price range, but I probably would go with one if I could.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-09-2012 09:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
b360155 Offline

Preferred Members-2

SS: Here's a list of some apps that I find useful

Waze - You mentioned this above and I use it as it gives useful traffic information. However if you need turn by turn navigation, the stock Navigation app using Google Maps is much more accurate than Waze.
Audio Guru - Similar to Brightness Profiles app that I mentioned previously for screen brightness, this app allows you to adjust and set profiles for various volume settings on your phone
Beautiful Widgets and/or Widgetsoid - Great apps for personalizing your phone with widgets you can custom design to fit your needs.
Car Home Ultra - Car dock app
ESPN Score Center - If you're into sports, the place to go to get all your scores
Lookout Security & Antivirus - Some debate whether antivirus is needed on phones...I figure it can't hurt
My Backup Pro - Easy backup/retrieval of apps, contacts, music, data
Swipe Pad - A useful tool that allows quick navigation directly to apps of your choice
Timerrific - A simple automation tool that allows you to program phone volumes, bluetooth, screen brightness, Wifi by day or week and time of day
Widgetlocker Lockscreen - Customizable lockscreen that allows you to put multiple sliders or buttons on your lockscreen so you can go directly to apps or functions of your choosing
Y5 Battery Saver - If you have Wifi networks that you use routinely (home, work, etc), it will automatically turn on your Wifi when you're at that location and turn Wifi off when you leave
Zedge - All kinds of ringtones and notification sounds
Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher - 2 of the best alternative launchers for Ice Cream Sandwich that add some pizzazz to your phone

Look them over in the Play Store and you can decide if they sound like something useful or not. As Extrospect says, some people swear by Juice Defender as an app that gives you longer battery life but I didn't notice any significant impact on my battery life so I uninstalled it. Also, when I went from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich I didn't notice any significant change either better or worse in regards to battery life.

Good luck and let me know if I can provide any further assistance. Android Rules!!!

10-09-2012 09:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I need crypto Software. Suggestions justMongo 3 352 04-22-2016 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sn00zeAlarm
  I finally fixed Firefix. justMongo 13 1,034 08-31-2015 03:04 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Need suggestions ASAP Please me50 3 596 07-06-2015 04:49 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Finally a solution to a WIN7 issue justMongo 0 472 01-17-2015 06:23 PM