Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Approach to Thoroughly Cleaning Your CPAP
RE: New Approach to Thoroughly Cleaning Your CPAP
(01-30-2013, 12:58 PM)Shastzi Wrote: ...and I have a bridge to sell ya...

Over troubled waters?
Ozone air cleaners have been cautioned against by the EPA, not the FDA. The SoClean is nothing like those particular devices and has never been "debunked" or anything close to that by any regulatory agency. The SoClean is registered with the FDA and is in the process of attaining EMEA certification. It's always best to get all the facts and if possible attain firsthand experience with a given situation before drawing conclusions.
Oh! I see!! If it's condemned by the EPA but because the FDA hasn't gotten around to it yet then it MUST be fine to use!
I still have to wash everything so tell me again how this saves me anything?
$350 buys an AWEFUL LOT of disinfectant too.

I may have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night.

Smile

(01-31-2013, 09:13 AM)Better Rest Wrote: Ozone air cleaners have been cautioned against by the EPA, not the FDA. The SoClean is nothing like those particular devices and has never been "debunked" or anything close to that by any regulatory agency. The SoClean is registered with the FDA and is in the process of attaining EMEA certification. It's always best to get all the facts and if possible attain firsthand experience with a given situation before drawing conclusions.

I suggest you go back and read that EPA article I linked to. And the Wikipedia article has other links saying the same thing.

Quote:This kind of air purifier is sometimes claimed to imitate nature's way of purifying the air without filters and to sanitize both it and household surfaces. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared that there is "evidence to show that at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone is not effective at removing many odor-causing chemicals" or "viruses, bacteria, mold, or other biological pollutants."

If an air cleaner is not effective at removing odor-causing chemicals, nor does it remove viruses, bacteria, or mold, I doubt the "SoClean" is any different. Doesn't matter if it is a "closed system".

It is a gimmick. An expensive gimmick. But, if it makes you feel better to use it, go for it. If you want to think you are breathing in better air because of it, go for it. The rest of us will embrace reality and use soap. Some of us add a wee bit of vinegar to help. Some of us will use Control III which will definitely clean our stuff. You know, like viruses, bacteria, mold, and other biological pollutants.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

It's inaccurate to compare the SoClean to those air cleaners condemned by the EPA. The only thing the two have in common is that they both use ozone, although in completely different ways. The SoClean uses a much higher concentration of ozone in its sanitizing process. This amount of ozone most definitely has the ability to kill any mold, MRSA, bacteria, etc. that might be present in CPAP equipment. Its effectiveness has been laboratory-proven. At the same time, such a high concentration of ozone does not pose the same threat that those air cleaners do because none of it makes its way to the outside environment.
Better Rest, I understand your claims, and I am sure that you can understand our scepticism.
I will not mix into this except to say that we use no ozone bearing systems to clean or sterilise anything at any hospital or medical practice here. The few times such systems have been examined, they have been found wanting. The gold standard of autoclave and/or powerful but safe and effective "chemical" cleansers has not been met by any tests performed here on ozone systems. I cannot say that the product on debate here has been amongst those systems tested, only that we have never found evidence of efficacy and safety in those tested. The levels needed to effectively clean health products would pretty much destroy the plastic in many of them, and would be a waste for surgical steel, where autoclave remains the sole standard.

Will Ozone get rid of the spiders that have nested in my climateline?

Dielaughing

I think this is a great idea! I mean; water, soap, vinegar - who can afford those things or even knows where to get them? And who wants to actually put in all of those 3 or 4 minutes of physically exhaustive labor in order to hand clean this stuff?

Lolabove

Quote:It's inaccurate to compare the SoClean to those air cleaners condemned by the EPA. The only thing the two have in common is that they both use ozone, although in completely different ways. The SoClean uses a much higher concentration of ozone in its sanitizing process. This amount of ozone most definitely has the ability to kill any mold, MRSA, bacteria, etc. that might be present in CPAP equipment. Its effectiveness has been laboratory-proven. At the same time, such a high concentration of ozone does not pose the same threat that those air cleaners do because none of it makes its way to the outside environment.

And I find this even more disturbing. It allegedly cleans better because it uses much higher amounts of this known-to-be-toxic item? Oh, I feel much safer now.

I am not exactly calling you an idiot nor a liar. I'm just trying to get folks to think before they fork over money for something that, if it works, is overkill at best, and dangerous at it's worse. Control III is available for much less and has been continually proven to work, is safer, lasts forever (since it is concentrated and you make a solution), and is used by folks who know how to clean stuff: hospitals.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Paula, I won't go so far as to say hospital folks know how to clean stuffs, but at least in surgical situations, we make a good stab at it. In other areas..... meh...

Maril's Control III and variants sold in various countries are quite good. Ethyls of benzyl ammonium chloride are effective at killing most commonly found bacteria, viruses and fungi found in the home, far better than vinegar, but will not kill certain things, like TB and Schimmelpilz (a type of highly toxic fungus that only occasionally shows in homes, mostly when foundation walls are disturbed). However you are unlikely to find that in the home. Just remember that it takes a ten minute soak for it to do anything.

As for ozone, well, I said it above. I don't think it is worth 300 smackers to get something like that, even if it does work, when a cheap solution and a titch of elbow grease will do the same thing - besides, the elbow grease is good for you....
Schimmelpilz; I looked it up. I think it's one of the black mold varieties here in the US.
Nasty stuff. It's one of the main reasons I use dehumidifiers around here.
Tongue

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.