Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Approach to Thoroughly Cleaning Your CPAP
New Approach to Thoroughly Cleaning Your CPAP
Studies have shown that even a seemingly thorough cleaning of CPAP equipment can still leave behind much in the way of germs and bacteria. The older the equipment, the harder it becomes to really deep clean your mask, hose, and humidifier. The result of such a bacterial build-up can be sinus and respiratory problems...

I'd like to introduce an automated, natural, and very effective approach to cleaning CPAP equipment. This is called the SoClean system. It's manufactured by Better Rest Solutions of Massachusetts. What makes this approach different is that it uses one of nature's most effective sanitizing agents - activated oxygen, also known as ozone.

Ozone has the ability to eliminate 99% of bacteria, mold, fungi, and viruses, in a very brief amount of time. This is why ozone has become the treatment of choice in the water purification, food service, and hotel industries.

The SoClean unit is essentially a chamber where your mask is contained, while still connected to your hose. A timer initiates the process in which ozone generated by the SoClean is pumped into your humidifier reservoir, through your hose, and out through your mask. This is all done in a closed circuit so that no ozone escapes the system. The manner in which ozone is used in this process is completely safe for you, your equipment, and the environment.

Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding this system. You can also get much information at the Better Rest Solutions website.

RE: New Approach to Thoroughly Cleaning Your CPAP
Wow, $350....even at its introductory price of $200, its pretty expensive.

More than I paid for the Ozone Generator that I used to bomb my bedroom....though probably safer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
While $200 is certainly not pocket change, when you see how well made this unit is, you get a clearer picture of its value. Also, worth mentioning is that the SoClean has been conceived and built in the US.

Personally, I'm convinced that this approach to cleaning has spared me some sinus problems that, in the past, has brought me great aggravation (not to mention lost wages from missing work). That's worth something to me.
Im now amazed at how far some people will go to clean there equipment. There seems to be a "Them & Us" kind of gap openning up. You have the "US" who just wash there gear when needed and then theres "THEM" who want to clean there equipment by irradiating it so not even the smallest microbe could live or land.

Dont you think that todays society have gone cleaning mad? Are children no longer allowed to play in the dirt. I think half our problems today are cause because we are too obsessed with cleanliness. I guess Im just not that fussy.

New science test: Could a machine smoke a cigerette if one was lit and put into the filter? "I wonder" Oh-jeezToo-funny
No, DC. Don't do it. Put the lighter down.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

I tend to agree with the sentiment that cleaning and sanitizing can be overdone. Some studies have shown that children who aren't exposed to pets, dirt, etc., are more inclined toward allergies & asthma. That said, there are certain areas where I would rather not compromise. For instance, I wouldn't want to be sitting in a Dentist's chair, who I thought had a less than fastidious approach to sterilization. Likewise, I feel much more comfortable when I know that my CPAP is as clean as can be. There are few areas on the body that provide such an open door to our insides than do the mucous membranes of our sinuses. If I have to insert a silicone device that shoots moist air into my sinuses every night, I want it to be as safe as possible.
(04-13-2012, 09:48 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, DC. Don't do it. Put the lighter down.

Cough, cough cough Puke errrrrrrrr oh its not a pretty sight Oh-jeez

(04-13-2012, 04:39 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Dont you think that todays society have gone cleaning mad? Are children no longer allowed to play in the dirt. I think half our problems today are cause because we are too obsessed with cleanliness. I guess Im just not that fussy.

As a child who played in the dirt, I would have to agree with you! When I am at the Hospital (I volunteer at the local Non-Profit Hospital) and can come into contact with things we don't even like to think about, I am religious about using hand sanitizer until I can get to a sink and wash properly. I do not want to take those germs to my home, some of them can kill you. Having said that, all the supermarkets have wipes for the baskets....I never use them. I still get dirty, I still play in the dirt (gardening) without even gloves! Oh no! I figure I am just exercising my immune system!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
I read an article a while back that discussed the insanity with sanitary wipes.

Antibacterial soap was not encouraged except in certain situations. That kind of soap goes all the way to the skin, removing even the good bacteria and often a few layers down into the skin. It breaks through the cell membrane.

Alcohol cleaning, on the other hand, does not go all the way to the skin so it leaves the good bacteria in place.

They recommended that you only use the alcohol wipes/gel/whatever AFTER you have touched an item that might have germs on it. If you are in a nasty place (like a hospital) to use the wipes/etc as often as you need to and to only use the soap when you absolutely have to. Unless you know you came in contact with some germ (like at a hospital), good hand washing with regular soap is just as good. (wash long enough to sing happy birthday once)

Using the antibacterial soap too much can create more opportunity for germs than without it because it removes the good bacteria and a layer or two of skin. Germs are getting better at becoming immune to these soaps anyway.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

I think the problem is us. The kids dont play in the dirt anymore not allowed to touch something cos its dirty, we are just too clean and now our kids who have grown up have a bad immune system. Give us back the good old days cos dirt is good for you Cool

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.